REPORT ON COMMUNICATIONS (21/8/95)

* Written 28 Aug 6:00am 1995 by DRUNOO@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------" REPORT ON COMMUNICATION( WE'RE NOT HOME AND DRY!) "------- */

TRIBAL REFUGEE WELFARE IN SOUTH EAST ASIA
PO BOX 215, MIRRABOOKA, WESTERN AUSTRALIA 6061

Dated 11th August 1995

Dear Dr U Ne Oo,

Greetings from Western Australia and many many thanks for your information.

Have  you  received any news in the formation of a Contact Group which Bill
Richardson wanted to form ?. We think it is a good idea but we are vay  out
in the West so we are not too convenient in many ways.

I  did  get about 100 signatures and by the time I was supposed to send it,
Daw Suu was released so I did not bother to send the petitions back to you.

I do not know how to thank you for the Burmanet News which you sent me, our
computer is working but our printer has gone on the blink so for some  time
I  have  not  been able to read the print outs. Deborah is in charge of the
Computer, she prints out the information for me as I do not have much  time
to work on it.

The  "Inside  the  Walls" was so enlightening on what ASSK had to bear with
these past six years. We are happy that she has been released, she is  very
smart  and  she  is walking slowly but surely towards the goal of peace and
democracy. The big problem is that the SLORC Military thugs don't  want  to
loose  the power they have enjoyed all these years, perhaps they are afraid
of the Burmese public retribution, but they  should  havbe  thought  abouth
that a long time ago, since 1962 March. To me, they should all be tried for
crimes  against humanity. I read all the Human Right Reports and wonder how
they could be classified as "human beings"!

On the 17th June we held a Birthday Celebration Dinner for ASSK which  went
off well. Our monthly Food FETE are not bringing in much funds, most of our
funds are bieng used on postage, so much so that we have had to request for
donations as we are unable to send out our mail, due to lack of funds.

We  are  sending  our  information  packets  to  8  groups  in  India, 1 in
Bangladesh adn 15 groups in Thailand, that is 24 packets a month  at  $7.00
per  packet  which  costs  us  $168  a  month!  so  we  are  really hard up
financially.

Our refugees form Thailand are also beginning to arrive and we  are  trying
to  raise  funds  for their ari fares, this too is a very difficult job. We
wrote to our got. for Travel Loans and they replied to say they do not have
the funds! Can you believe it"\? So small  groups  like  ours  are  killing
ourselves  trying  to  raise  funds  and  it  is  worse still, when our own
community does not support us at all.

At the moment I have been receiving a lot of human right violation  reports
on  the  Chins  and am trying to do as much as I can from this end. I would
liket to request you DR to please look into the Chin problem and pledge  on
their  behalf  to the many contacts you have. I think if we fight from both
sides, the international community will have to look into the Chin problem.

I have sent you some reports on the Chins and  will  be  sending  you  some
more,  some  reports  are  included in the Burma Issues also, at least some
news in now leaking out.

Due to pressure from the Thais, our pro-democracy groups based in  Thailand
like  the  NLd,  NCUB,  ABSDF  etc  may have to shift their headquarters to
INdia. We are hoping the Indian govt. will not turn out like the Thai govt.
which is catering to its own business-generals.

Many thanks once again Dr for all the information you sent  us,  please  do
keep in touch.

Yours sincerely
CV Allmark, SECRETARy

*****
                                                        Dr U Ne Oo
                                                        48/2 Ayliffes Rd
                                                        ST MARYS SA 5042

                                                        August 21, 1995.

       Mrs C.V. Allmark
       Secretary
       Tribal Refugee Welfare

       Dear Ms Allmark,

       Thank  you so much for continuing to send me information packets and
       enclosed letters from Tribal Refugee Welfare. I also received letter
       from U David regarding the Burmese students who were detained in SDC
       in Thailand few weeks earlier.

       Firstly, we will have  "Beyond  Rangoon"  screened  in  Adelaide  in
       September.  It  is  primarily organized by the Amnesty International
       here in South Australia.  We  burmese  in  adelaide  are  trying  to
       support  as  many  people to came to see and planned to set up stall
       etc from Burma Action. We had meeting about this on last Saterday.

       Othermatter  is  regarding  the  trafficking  of  Burmese women into
       Thailand.  I  have  been  trying  to  contact  the   so-called   the
       International  Women  Development  Agency  in  Melbourne  -  without
       success. It is said that the Agency is run by volunteers.  Eventhen,
       the failure to reply (which I just requested some of their pamphlets
       for redistribution) is rather curious. In anycase, this fight is for
       Burmese fight and we  must  not  be too much relied on Australians when
       there are dirty fights. We should rather use our own guts  for  this
       kind of campaign.

       Although  Aung  San  Suu  Kyi  have been released, there is still no
       promise of proper dialogue and political settlements for the  ethnic
       minorities.  I was informed that there will be some discussion about
       this on the last ASEAN meeting - still no concrete result have  been
       reported.  I  am  still  waiting for response from our usual sources
       about  this.  Though  UN  officials have meet with her for the first
       time last week, we will keep track of this news.

       Meanwhile, SLORC has stepped up campaign against the Thais and their
       business interests. Recent reported beating of two Burmese fisherman
       have been one example. We continue  to  watch  with  alarm  of  that
       trend.  As you know, with the new Thai government and Ministers, the
       attention to the situation is more important than ever before.

       For this years UNGA, from people  of  refugees  concerns,  the  main
       priority  would  be  promoting  the Memorandum of Understanding with
       respective governments, including  Australia.  I  am  now  preparing
       action  letter surrounding this issue and will be sent promptly when
       finished.

       One good news. As you know, I have been  unemployed  for  very  long
       time  (since  1992).  The  CES finally come to rescue to that I have
       been put in place of Job training programme. The CES pays me alittle
       more than Social Security allowance. Though I am glad  I  definitely
       escaped from  the danger of being homeless (it is not exaggeration),
       the  work  is  eating  up  most  of my  time.  The  work  has  been
       suppressing  my  usual activities of reading and writing: I sometime
       cannot read some of messages on the network. I am being trained as
       computer  technician - which an interesting work anyhow.  Hopefully,
       these skills be of some use later sometime in my life.

       I  am  hoping  to  contact  you regarding various issues in next few
       weeks. Please continue to help us and your  support  has  been  most
       appreciated.

       Yours sincerely

/* --------- Letter from TRW to Coordinator of Women Working Group ---*/
TRIBAL REFUGEE WELFARE IN SOUTH EAST ASIA(INC)
PO BOX 215, MIRRABOOKA, WESTERN AUSTRALIA 6061.

TO: The Co-ordinator
    Coalition  to  end  trafficking  of  Burmese  Women  &  girls into Thai
    Brothels.
    West Australian Working Group
    99 Hay Street
    Subiaco WA 6008

DATed 1st June 1995

Dear Co-Ordinator,

At your initial meeitng held on 21st February 1995  in  the  Community  Aid
Abroad/Overseas  Service  Bureau,  tow of our board members attended and it
was agreed that Tribal Refugee Welfare would participate  in  the  National
Tour on the trafficking of Burmese women and girls into forced prostitution
as  it  was  in  our interest and we have assisted in the rescue of some of
these girls at the border.

We also flet that due to the large number of migrants from Burma in Western
Australia, it was imperative to raise awareness in our community.

The importance of working  group  members  taking  responsibility  for  the
coordination  of  the  Western  Australian  leg of the tour and net working
within our own community to ensure success was taken seriously.

As TRW has in the past offered  accomodation  to  visitors  from  Thailand,
accomodation  and  transport from arrival to departure and to various media
outlets, workshops etc was offered for the two researchers.

It was felt by our committee that our representatives had carried out their
duties to the best of their ability o behalf of TRW. but  are  disappointed
to  note that in your final Evaluation MInutes of 23rd May 1995, no mention
was made of TRW's involvement in the program, nor did TRW receive any  sort
of  thanks foor their efforts. This reflects very poorly on the attitude of
large organizations such as  Community  Aid  Abroad  and  Overseas  Service
Bureau.  We  feel  that  we  ahve  been  used  to  the  fullest without any
recognition of our efforts,  which  involved  a  lot  our  time,  mone  and
manpower.

An   account   of  the  Burmese  Community  Dinner  is  enclosed  for  your
information.

Your sincerely
KW Allmark

Copy  to:  International  Women's   Development   Agnecy,   P.O.Box   1680,
Collingwood , Vic 3066.

BURMESE  COMMUNITY  DINNER FUNCTION HELD IN HONOUR OF ASIAWATCH RESEARCHERS
AT THE AUSTRALIAN-ASIAN COMMUNITY CENTER ON 12TH AY 1995.

RECEIPT:
 Sale of Dinner tickets                         $300.00

EXPENDITURE:

        Dinner (See List)           $ 106.83
        Refreshments                    8.00
        Hire of Hall                   40.00
        Petrol Expenses form
        arrival to departure
        10/5 to 13/5/95                65.00
                                                 $219.83
                                                 -------
                                                 $ 80.17

BILL
EXPENDITURE INCURRED AT DINNER HELD ON 12TH  MAY  1995  AT  THE  AUSTRALIAN
ASIAN COMMUNITY CENTRE.

Vegetables               $ 5.65
2 Lt Vegetable Oil         4.35
2 pack of Split peas       2.38
10 Kilos of rice          10.50
1 packet sugar             1.99
i bottle garlic            2.09
1 bottle ginger            2.69
5 Nos Zucchini             3.95
5 Nos Brocccoli            4.95
4 Kilos of Brown Onions    4.72
1 Kilo White Onions        1.24
5 packets paper Napkins    3.95
10 Kilos Beef(Diced)      54.00
Pataks Currry paste        4.37
                       --------
                TOTAL: $ 106.83

SD. C.V. Allmark
ENDnote:: The reason such details are sent out to you is not to embarrassed
anyone. However, it is to appreciate how difficult the  circumstances  that
the  Burmese democracy groups - large or small or individuals - have to put
their efforts at the works. -- U Ne Oo.

/* Endreport */