ASA LETTER TO SLORC

ASIAN STUDENTS ASSOCIATION
353, Shanghai Street 4/F, Kowloon, Hong kong.
Tel:(852)388 0515  Fax: (852) 782 5535  E-mail:asa@xxxxxxxxxxx

The Head
State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC)
Burma

Dear Sir,

We are the Executive council members of the Asian Students Association (ASA),
a regional federation of 46 national students' organisations spanning 26
countries in the Asia-Pacific region.

We have just finished our Executive Council meeting in Bangkok, Thailand and
in our meeting, the sad and inhumane plight to MIN KO NAING was brought up.

We are optimistic, when the SLORC government released Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in
July 10, 1995, that the unconditional release of all political prisoners in
Burma will follow shortly. We are optimistic that the SLORC government will go
for a dialogue on national reconciliation with all the democratic forces in
Burma led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

In line with this optimism, is our strong desire to see MIN KO NAING, a fellow
student leader to be unconditionally released, together with the rest of all
political prisoners in Burma. MIN KO NAING is the Chairman of the All Burma
Federation of Students' Union (ABFSU) who was arrested by the SLORC government
in 1989. He is now serving a 20-year jail term for his efforts to bring
democracy in Burma.

In reiteration, we strongly urge the SLORC government to release -
unconditionally - all political prisoners in Burma, including MIN KO NAING. As
well, we urge the SLORC government to sit in a dialogue with democratic forces
in Burma led by Daw Aung San Suu KYi.

We would like to see genuine people's democracy replanted in Burma's soil.

Sincerely yours,

Asian Students' Association (ASA) Executive Council

ASA Secretariat                                          (SIGNED HERE)
General Union of Palestine Students (GUPS)                    "
All Nepal National Free Students Union (ANNFSU)               "
Fiji Youth and Students League (FYSL)                         "
League of Filipino Students (LFS)                             "
Students Solidarity for Democracy in Indonesia (SSDI)         "
All India Students Association (AISA)                         "