1993: COMMUNICATIONS (CONTINUED)

/* Written 28 July 6:00am 1995 by DRUNOO@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" 1993: COMMUNICATIONS (CONTINUED) "------------- */

[Following letter  were  written  in  connection with reports received from
Thailand regarding Burmese student  refugees/asylum-seekers  and  displaced
Burmese  women  in  1993.  Despite  our  best  efforts,  the protection  of
Burma's   refugees  continued to be most disappointing situation. The  most
distressful aspect, in my opinion, of Burmese refugee situation in Thailand
has been intimidation/persecution by the authorities concerned. We continue
to hope that the Royal Thai Government cooperate with  UNHCR  in protecting
all refugees and solving the Burmese refugee problem. -- U Ne Oo.]

U Ne Oo
Burma Action(SA)
1st Floor, 39 Wakefield Street
Adelaide SA 5000 AUSTRALIA

July 15 1993

Mr Danial Conway
P.O. Box 2-121
Rajdanmern, Bangkok 10200, Thailand

Dear Mr Conway,

Concerning  with  the  deteriorating situation of Burmese asylum seekers in
Thailand, I support the UNHCR  to  make  initiatives  for  the  Royal  thai
Government  to  grant  a  temporary  political  asylum  status  to  Burmese
refugees. Regrettably, the attention given by UNHCR  to  Burma's  displaced
minorities at Thai-Burma border as well as to the Burmese dissidents within
Thailand is fall far short of our expectations.

I  understand  that  the  Government  of Thailand is not a signatory to the
international refugee laws for the UNHCR to be fully operational.  It  must
stress,  however,  that  the   UNHCR  is  not  an  organization  which  its
responsibility is solely to hand-out charity.  The  UNHCR's  responsibility
should extends to the protection of abuses on the displaced people anywhere
in  the  world. IN this context, the UNHCR in Thailand must become a strong
advocate of the safety of the refugees regardless of local laws. The  UNHCR
must  actively  seek  for  a  solution  to  the  problems that relates with
protection of displaced people.

There had been incidences that the Burmese students  have  been  forcefully
repatriated  in  1989 (Tak Repatriation Center in Dec 1988-FEb 1989). There
were also reports of the LOcal Thai authorities harassment  and  abuses  on
refugees  in  order to gain advantage on commercial dealings with the Burma
MIlitary (Sanglaburi District in April 1991:  Asia  Watch,  March  20-1992,
Vol.No  4.  Issue  No 7.). The present conflict of the Thai authorities and
Burmese refugee will continue unless the Government  of  Thailand  gives  a
promise not to make forced repatriation.

I  therefore  urge the UNHCR in Thailand to speaks out, both in private and
public, for the safety of the Burmese refugees. Firstly, the UNHCR must set
up an inquiry into these incidences. Secondly, the UNHCR must encourage the
Government of Thailand to consider granting a  temporary  political  asylum
status to the Burmese refugees. Thirdly, the UNHCR must promote a policy to
get access to the Burmese refugee camps along Thai-Burma border.

YOurs faithfully
Sd. U Ne Oo

cc.  Ms  Sadako  Ogata,  UNHCR,  CASE POstale 2500, CH-1211 Geneva 2 Depot,
Switzerland.

/* Letter to Coordinator of Australia Burma Council */

July 23, 1993

Mrs Amanda Zappia
41 Ingamells Street
Garran ACT 2605

Dear Amanda

Thanks for your letter of 5-May-93, and Prof. Yokota's report together with
ABC updates. It is of great help to get those documents.

Enclosed are a copy of letter  send  by  Burma  INformation  Group(BIG)  in
Thailand,  I  am  sure you received that copy. According to the letter, the
situation are getting worse for burmese dissidents in Thailand.  SLORC,  on
the  otherhand,  try  to pressure Thailand by scrapping logging concessions
(see FEER, 22 July). We simply do not know what is the SLORC's  motive  for
doing  this.  My worry is that it may force Thais to take tougher stance on
Burmese dissidents, both in Thailand and at Manerplaw.

It will therefore be helpful to urge  the  Thai  government  and  UNHCR  to
consider  the  Temporary  Political  Asylum status to Burmese dissidents as
being described in BIG's letter. It also important for UNHCR to get  access
to  the  refugee  camps  at  Thai-Burma  border.  Although such proposal as
cross-border assistance to displaced population in Burma is quite difficult
to get support at the diplomatic level, the presence of UNHCR at the border
will be of a great help to these people. In general, this is the  time  for
Thailand to change its policy toward Burma.

It  will  help  burmese  dissidents  in  Thailand  by  supporting the BIG's
proposals. Please run a campaign for this as you and ABC can. For our part,
I write letter to UNHCR(all our members too)

Please send ABC update to this address from now on:
U NE OO, 48/2 AYLIFFES RD. ST MARYS 5042

PS: Some good news: I was awarded PhD last Month. It is something certainly
to be proud for all of us who are under military repression, struggling for
burma's democracy.

Yours sincerely
Sd. U Ne Oo.

/*------------ Letter from UNHCR: Thailand (9/8/93) ------- */

UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES
BRANCH OFFICE FOR THAILAND
P.O.Box 2-121 Rajdamnern
Bangkok 10200, Thailand

Dear Mr U Ne Oo,

We acknowledge receipt of your letter  of  15  July  1993,  concerning  the
general situation of Burmese asylum seekers in Thailand.

With  respect  to  the  general  situation  of  the  above mentioned asylum
seekers, it should be noted that a distinction is made by  the  Royal  Thai
government  (RTG)  between  the approximately 40,000 Burmese who arrived in
Thailand prior to 1976, the approximately  70,000  Burmese  now  living  in
refugee  camps  along  the  Thai-Burma border, and the Burmese currently in
Bangkok. The civilian populations at the border  who  arrived  before  1976
were  accorded  the  status  of  displaced persons by the RTG in 1976, thus
allowing them to reside officially in thailand although  their  freedom  of
movement is restricted to the provinces where they are established. Insofar
as the Burmese who arrived after 1976 are concerned, they reside in refugee
camps  along the border, which are assisted (with the tacit approval of the
RTG) by a group  of  non-governmental  organizations  referred  to  as  the
Burmese  border  consorium  (BBC) which functions under the auspices of the
CCSDPT. These  populations  are  considered  by  the  Thai  authorities  as
minority  groups  fleeing  generalized violence in their country of origin,
whose presence on Thai territory is informally tolerated. UNHCR has visited
the  aforementioned  camps  on  a  regular  basis  since  1992  to  monitor
developments  therein.  The  office  does  not,  however,  have a permanent
presence in these camps.

Insofar as the  third  category  of  persons  is  concerned,  the  RTG  has
formulated  a  polity whereby Burmese students and political dissidents who
registered with the Ministry for  the  Interior,  whould  by  permitted  to
remain  in  Thailand,  in a zone referred to as the Safe Area. It should be
noted that UNHCR, many Embassies and non-governmental agencies have visited
the Safe Area and have determined  that  it  meets  accepted  international
standards  for the welfare and protection of refugees. Furthermore, we wish
to emphasize that Burmese residents of the Safe  Area  have  permanent  and
unimpeded access to the UNHCR staff member who is posted there.

It should further be noted in regard to this latter group, that Thailand is
not a party to the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of refugees or to
its  1967  Protocol.  Thus, with the exception of the Comprehensive Plan of
Action  for  INdochinese  Refugees,  Thailand  has  not  enacted   specific
legislation/ regulation relating to refugees and asylum seekers. Therefore,
Burmses  persons  of  concern  to UNHCR who refuse to comply with the above
mentioned measures (and who are residing in Thailand illegally) would be in
a  precarious  situation,  since  they  would,  pursuant  to  the  relevant
provisions of the Thai immigration law, be considered as illegal immigrants
and  would  be subject to arrest and prolonged detention at the Immigration
Detention Center(IDC), irrespective of their status  with  UNHCR.  However,
UNHCr  does  have  an  official  permanently based at the IDC, who monitors
developments pertaining to all asylum seekers/persons of  concern  who  are
thus  detained,  in  order  to  intervene  on  their  behalf  as  and  when
appropriate.

We thank you for your concern with respect to  Burmese  asylum  seekers  in
Thailand and hope that the above information proves useful to you.

Yours sincerely,
Sd. Nik Chandravithun
Officer-in-Charge (Legal Section)

/* --------- Letter from Coordinator of ABC ----------- */

9th September 1993

Dear U Ne Oo

My apology for the delay in this correspondence but I am working around the
clock at the moment and still I am not getting everything done.

As  far  as UNHCR goes in Thailand they are attempting to do as you suggest
to assist the Burmese but my dear the Thais, as always, are preventing  it.
It  may  be more valuable for us to put pressure on the Thais by bonbarding
the Thai Embassy here with requests for cooperation. What do you think ?

We will suppport the BIG campaign both in Australia and at the UN.  I  will
be there in October 1993.

I  will  put  out  another Update at the end of September and ensure that I
start the Thai correspondence flowing then.

In the meantime I am assisting the students put together a  public  seminar
to  be  held  in Dec or Jan and they will be here for one week prior to the
AIDAB seminar which the students are doing on the 30th September.

14th September is the first  meeting  of  the  International  Parliamentary
Committee,  Burma.  There are 100 nations in town for the IPU meeting and I
am taking advantage of that to set up  an  international  Burma  committee.
Have received signatures from nearly all Members and Senators of Australian
Parliament  for a petition to the UN demanding the release of Suu Kyi. Also
I think I am suppposed to be going to New York in  October  and  should  be
preparing for that.

Its  a  nightmare at the moment. You wouldn't move to Canberra and pitch in
would you, I here the uni here is great. I'm only joking really but I could
use a few more hands.

Please take care, my best wishes to you as always.
Sd. Amanda Zappia
Aust Rep. NCGUB and FTUB
Central Coordinator ABC

/* -----------" NEWS FROM BURMA INFORMATION GROUP (MAY 93) "---------- */

          NEWS FROM THE IMMIGRATION DETENTION CENTRE
BANGKOK                                                 31 MAY 1993

                BURMA INFORMATION GROUP
                -----------------------

BURMESE DETAINEE'S FATAL SUFFERINGS FROM VARIETY OF HEALTH COMPLICATIONS

NEWS FROM THE IMMIGRATION DETENTION CENTRE: a Burmese asylum  seeker  named
Ko  Htay Lwin who had been suffering from a variety of health complications
died of heart failure last month(April). Doctors and medical  workers  from
Foundation   In  Support  of  Refugee  Assistance  Programmew  in  Thailand
(FISRAPT) had warned him about his health condition according to a  friend.
FISRAPT had been aware of Htay Lwin's severe condition for a long time.

Ko  Htay  Lwin  had  been  arrested when the Thai police raided the FISRAPT
compound on 9 April 1993 while  refugees  were  studying  there.  About  13
persons  had  been  arrested including Ko Htay Lwin. Most of those arrested
were Burmese asylum seekers. Some of the students had sought help from  the
FISRAPT  officers.  Some  Burmese  asylum  seekers  had also asked the Thai
officers to find a way to release Ko Htay Lwin specifically because of  his
worsening  health  condition. They felt that he should be taken to hospital
where he could be taken care of properly and not to the IDC. However, their
request was rejected by the Thai authorities. Some Burmese  asylum  seekers
expressed  their  resentment  towards  the  FISRAPT office because three of
their volunteer workers (two of whom were Burmese asylum seekers with UNHCR
-"persons of concern" status) were  released  shortly  after  the  raid  at
FISRAPT's request.

ONe  Burmese  asylum  seeker  who  is  living  in Bangkok and is a mmber of
Overseas National Students' Organization of  Burma(ONSOB)  critized  of  Ko
Htay Lwin's case when he was told by medical workers that Ko Htay Lwin only
had  a  limited time to live before he was captured. This the asylum seeker
went on to say, was the reason why FISRAPT and UNHCR failed to act.

On 24 April, 1993 Ko Htay Lwin died from his illness. Before he died he had
been vomiting blood and was taken to hospital.

To date his body has not been released to his friends who  are  waiting  to
bury him.

Ko  Htay  Lwin is a "person of concern" to the UNHCR. He fled to the border
after the military cracked down on the pro-democracy movement in Burma.  He
was  a member of the All Burma Students' Democratic Front (ABSDF) before he
came to Bangkok.

BURMESE ASYLUM SEEKERS WERE BEATEN IN DETENTION
NEWS FROM THE IMMIGRATION DETENTION CENTRE:  Currently  almost  30  Burmese
asylum  seekers  are  being  detained  in  the Immigration Detention Centre
(IDC). They were randomly arrested either on the streets or at their hiding
rooms on charges of violating the Thai Immigration act.

On 29 April, 1993 about 12 Burmese asylum seekers who are  being  detaining
in  IDC were taken out of their cell and severely beaten by the wardens and
police. The motive is not clear.

On 15 May, 1993 about 20 Burmese asylum  seekers  were  beaten  up  by  the
wardens and police again.

Some  Burmese detainees have served their sentences in the IDC but have not
been released yet. There is an unconfirmed report from IDC that  a  Burmese
asylum  seeker  has  disappeared after a brutal beating. His fellow inmates
could not find him in the room after the brutal beating.

Thai immigration police have  also  tortured  Burmese  detainees  who  they
suspect  to be Burmese asylum seekers or Burmese students. NO one yet knows
the reason why immigration police and wardens abused these inmates.

Due to the worsening situation in the  IDC,  Burmese  asylum  seekers  have
become  depressed  especially  as they face such and uncertain future. Some
are sick because of malaria and other diseases. Although they are  "persons
of concern" to the UNHCR they are reluctant to identify their status to the
UNHCR  officer  in the IDC for tow reasons: Firstly, because they fear that
this will lead to a continued detention in the IDC  and  secondly,  because
they  fear  that they would be sent to the "safe area". Most of the Burmese
asylum seekers who are being detained in the IDC have  no  options  but  to
choose  the  risky way of deportation to the Thai-Burmese border where they
can run away from the police before the deportation  or  bribe  the  police
with  money to set them free in the vorder area before being handed over to
Burmese authorities.

This is a long-term problem  which  faces  the  Burmese  students  who  now
realize  that  their  caretaker, the UNHCR is impotent to protect them from
maltreatment, deportation and detention. Moreover, UNHCR  has  voiced  that
the  "safe  area"  is  the  only solution for the Burmese asylum seekers in
Thailand but many Burmese asylum seekers disagree and have not entered  the
area. They are therefore afraid to cooperate with UNHCR.

"These  UNHCR  officers  are  always hiding in their offices" as one asylum
seeker puts it.

Some Burmese students  believe  that  brutal  beatings,  detention,  prison
torture,  and  proceeding  arrests  of  Burmese  asylum  seekers aim to put
pressure on the Burmese asylum seekers who still refuse to enter the  "safe
area".  Some  burmese  asylum  seeker  anticipate  that  the  repulsive and
helpless situation in the IDC may push Burmese detainees  to  surrender  to
the "safe area".

RECOMMENDATIONS
---------------
*  We  request  you to visit the detainees in the IDC and support them with
food, medicine, and other essential things.

* We urge you to write letters to the offices of UNHCR and the Ministry  of
Interior  to  ask for the release of these people as well as to request for
the setting up of an inquiry into the current reported abuses in the IDC.

* We request UNHCR, human rights agencies, and the diplomatic cimmunity  in
Bangkok  to  pay frequent visit to the IDC and to lood after Burmese asylum
seekers. BIG suggest the UNHCR should act sensibly to prevent  the  further
deterioration of conditions in the IDC.

*  We  request the Thai officials not to send the Burmese asylum seekers in
IDC to the "safe area" without their agreement.

* We believe that since these Burmese asylum  seekers  are  not  criminals,
they  should  be treated properly. These people are in a difficult position
where by they can not return to  their  homeland  due  to  their  country's
current  political  climate.  In addition, some of their friends, relatives
and even their parents are being detained by the current military junta  in
Burma.

These people have repeatedly appealed to the Royal Thai Government to grant
them  with  temporary  political  asylum  status.  Their petition should be
reconsidered and reviewed.

Concerning Ko Htay Lwin
-----------------------
* Our human rights group is extremely concerned about the  implications  of
the  case  of  Ko  Htay  Lwin.  Ko  Htay  Lwin should have been admitted to
hospital where he could have received proper  treatment  instead  of  being
detained in the IDC. Certainly, a person in Ko Htay Lwin's condition should
not  have  been detained in the IDC. We are very disappointed to learn that
an officer from FISRAPT ignored the appeals from his fellow Burmese  people
to  consider  Ko  Htay Lwin's release from the hands of the police. We felt
that Ko Htay Lwin was suffering from not  only  mortal  diseases  but  also
discrimination during and after the arrest because he was a most vulnerable
person  among  arrestees  and sadly, we have discovered that three refugees
who  are  "persons  of  concern"  were  freed  after  "negotiations"   were
successfully  reached between FISRAPT officials and the Thai police. But Ko
Htay Lwin was not released [See page 1]

* We strongly believe that KO Htay Lwin should not be forgotten but  should
be  remembered  and respected as a human being. He should have been treated
justly. The FISRAPT office should have been aware of his  health  condition
when  he was caught by the police because previously FISRAPT had checked up
the condition of Ko Htay Lwin's health.

* Burma Information Group earnestly wants to  urge  UNHCR  and  FISRAPT  to
learn  from  the  case  of  Ko  Htay  Lwin  in  order  to prevent a similar
occurrence. It should not be repeated in the future.

BURMA INFORMATION GROUP, released date:1993531.

*******

Limited Circulation
-------------------
Wida Brothel in Ranong (Southern Thailand)

January 1993 Bangkok

80 to 100 Burmese women,  age  between  16-28,  are  presently  working  as
prostitutes  at  the  Wida  brothel  in Ranong, Saphanpla area. Before June
1992, about 140 to 160 Burmese women stayed in this brothel.

Three or four Burmese procurers who were  "criminals"  in  Burma  illegally
came  to  the border of Thailand and are currently in charge of the Burmese
group in this brothel. The Burmese women who were sold against  their  will
by  this group have to serve as prostitutes for 6 or 12 months to repay the
money back to the brothel's owner. they are not allowed  to  go  out.  Some
Burmese  women  who tried to escape were severely beaten in the underground
room. However, three Burmese women  attempted  to  flee  and  succeeded  in
middle of 1992.

It  was  found  out that some Burmese women who got pregnant were sometimes
forced to have sex with customers. Some pregnant women were also forced  to
work in the kitchen. All these women were provided with insufficient meals.

Before  the  police  make an operation to raid brothels, the brothel owners
are informed. By that time the owner will select the women who  are  pretty
or  who have lots of daily visitors to be kept in the underground room. The
rest will be placed in the show-room to wait  for  the  arrests.  After  an
operation,  the owner will offer the "fine" and take the women out and sell
they at low prices to other brothels.

Previously, the Burmese women who were suspected of having HIV virus or any
infected diseases requested their reliable customers to  buy  medicine  for
them  .  A  confirmed information reveals that the women are not allowed to
see the medical doctors for their disease prevention. 70%  of  the  Burmese
women are drug-addicts or alcoholics at Wida brothel.

In  August  1991,  a  Burmese  man  who  had a good-intention to rescue the
Burmese women at Wida brothel, was  killed  in  the  underground  room.  He
bombed the bathroom in order to make a hole for women to escape.

Burma Information Group
P.O. Box 22 Rajathevee Post Office Bangkok 10401 Thailand.

/* Endreport */