Suu Kyi--Abandon Hatred & Malice (V

Subject: Suu Kyi--Abandon Hatred & Malice (VOA) (Fw)

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 13:01:45 -0700
Subject: GEN/ASIA: Suu Kyi - Abandon Hatred & Malice
Date=7/23/95
Type=Correspondent Report
Number=2-182422
Title=Burma / Suu Kyi (L-Only)
Byline=Khin Maunghtay
Dateline=Rangoon

**[slightly amended. --agb.]

        Intro:  Burma's democracy leader Aung San Suu  Kyi
     has  again called for patience, understanding  and  a
     determined political will from the people  of  Burma.
     As   VOA's   Burmese  correspondent  Khin   Maunghtay
     reports,  the  call came during her  usual  afternoon
     address  Saturday  to a crowd outside  her  house  in
     Rangoon.

        Text:   With  a  natural flare for a rapport  with
     people,  Aung  San  Su  Kyi  began  her  address   by
     answering  a  question about two  prominent  National
     League for Democracy leaders leaders (U Tin Oo and  U
     Kyi  Maung).  She said they are doing well and  their
     political will is stronger than ever before.

        She  then  defined her future political course  by
     encouraging  the  people of Burma to  keep  up  their
     patience and determination for the long road ahead:

         "Whatever  we do now we have to go  about  it
         with   care  and  consideration.    We   want
         everything  to come out well, but  that  will
         happen  for  when [?] everything  goes  well.
         For  that  I would like to ask the people  to
         help bring it about."

        She  also  pointed out the role of the people  and
     her faith in their ability to sort things out.

         "The  wishes of the people, [if?] they  laugh
         in  the  spirit of good will,  can  never  be
         ignored.   If their wishes [a]re  strong  and
         [...]  guide  them  intelligently  and   with
         diligence,  everything  will  come   out   as
         desired."

        Aung  San Suu Kyi said it would be impossible  for
     her to do anything if the people were not behind her.
     Even   when  some  people  attack  her  directly   or
     indirectly the important thing is for the  people  to
     understand her.  Asking them to look after  her,  and
     help  her, she pointed out the responsibility  of  --
     what  she  called -- the politically-heavy people  of
     Burma.

         "You have a responsibility to guide us not to
         do  wrong, you have a responsibility for  the
         leadership you have asked to bring about  the
         kind  of country you want.  Mold your leaders
         the way you want them to be to."

        She asked the people to help her make progress day
     by day and for their dedication to the long term:

         "I  am determined to go on no matter how long
         it  is  going to take or how much I  have  to
         work  to  achieve that.  I also want  you  to
         have the same kind of spirit.  Nurture it  if
         need  be, help me and pray for me and if  you
         want  any  thing from me do not  hesitate  to
         ask.   If  you want to criticize me go  right
         ahead and do it, I can take it. "

        Aung  San Su Kyi suggested the nature of political
     conviction  her people must have as they  strive  for
     their goal.

         "Do  not  ever forget your mission, that  you
         are  not  trying  to [create?]  hardship  for
         anyone,  it  is for the sake [of]  everyone's
         well-being  that  we are doing  what  we  are
         doing.  If we go about with hatred and malice
         nothing  can  be achieved for  our  country's
         progress."

        Finally  Aung San Su Kyi promised the well wishers
     outside  her Rangoon house she would continue working
     for   as  long  as  she  lives  for  the  wishes  and
     aspirations of the people of Burma.   (signed)

NEB/KM/T-BP/RAE
23-Jul-95 12:00 PM EDT (1600 UTC)
Source: Voice of America