ABBESU STATEMENT ON THE 48TH ANNIVE

Subject: ABBESU STATEMENT ON THE 48TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE BURMA MARTYRS DAY

                                 ABBESU
                ALL BURMA BASIC EDUCATION STUDENTS' UNION(THAILAND)
    _______________________________________________________________ __

               ABBESU statement on the 48th anniversary of
                          the Burma Martyrs day
                         ----------------------

                                                      Date: July 19, 1995

On July 19, 1947 Burma independent heros including General Aung
San were assassinated.

The ABBESU expresses our very deep sorrow and regret, identical
to the remaining family members and the whole Burmese people, for
this great loss to the country.

Today is a day which will be never forgotten and one that remains
as an important historical event in Burma. However, the Slorc
attempts, in various ways, to fade out the significant role of
General Aung San and the other martyrs in the struggle for the
independence of Burma.

On this occasion, the ABBESU, is very concerned about the
personnel security of the pro-democracy leaders who are now
struggling for the achievement of democracy and human rights in
Burma under the repressive rule of the Burmese military junta.

On this special day, the ABBESU strongly demand the Slorc:

-to release all political prisoners including prominent student
leader Min Ko Naing,

-to immediately organize a substantial dialogue with democracy
forces led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and ethnic leaders,

-to transfer the state power to the elected representatives of
the 1990 May general election, led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

The ABBESU expresses our heart-felt gratitude to the people of
Burma, international community and the world population for their
great efforts for the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

The ABBESU earnestly appeals to the international community, by
downgrading diplomatic relations, to impose economic sanctions
and a arms embargo against the Slorc until the accomplishment of
transfer of power to the civilian government led by Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi.

The ABBESU reaffirms that it will continue our struggle against
the military rule until the restoration of democracy and human
rights in Burma.

Central Committee
ABBESU (Thailand)