48TH ANNIVERSARY OF BURMA MARTYRS D

Subject: 48TH ANNIVERSARY OF BURMA MARTYRS DAY(ABSDF-PRESS RELEASE)

                                    _
                                  ABSDF
                  ALL BURMA STUDENTS DEMOCRATIC FRONT

                              PRESS RELEASE
                             --------------
                  48th Anniversary of Burma Martyrs day
                 --------------------------------------

                                                      Date: July 19, 1995

General Aung San and eight other leaders of Burma's Independence movement were
assassinated on July 19, 1947, less than six month before Burma's
independence. A few months after independence, civil war blazed throughout the
country. And in 1962, all democratic rights were lost when the military staged
a coup d'etat against the democratically elected government.

Ever since then, students, youth and people have been sacrificing their lives
in the struggle for freedom, democracy and justice in Burma.

The ABSDF would like to express our deep regret and appreciation for all of
these martyrs on this special occasion of the 48th anniversary of the Martyrs
day.

ABSDF strongly denounces the Burmese military junta for their broken promises
concerning the democratic reform, particularly their refusal to honour the
results of 1990 May general election, and for their continuing abuses of the
human rights of the people of Burma.

On this special occasion, while we celebrate the release of Aung San Suu Kyi
from six years illegal detention by the military, the ABSDF would like to
demand the ruling military junta:

-to release all political prisoners including prominent student leader Min Ko
Naing,
-to announce a nation wide-cease fire and to stop war against the all ethnic
groups for the sake of national reconciliation,
-to follow up the release of our pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, with a
tripartite dialogue with democracy leaders and ethnic leaders in order to
smooth the transfer of power to the people and the achievement of national
reconciliation,
-to dissolve the Slorc's manipulated National Convention which will guarantee
the military a leading role in politics,
-to cooperate with the people for genuine peace and democracy in Burma, in
order to restore the dignity of the Army under its founding leader General
Aung San.

ABSDF urges the Burmese people, in honour of our martyrs, to double their
efforts, for the restoration of democracy and human rights in Burma.

The ABSDF earnestly appeal to the international community to impose effective
economic sanctions and an arms embargo against the military junta and to
suspend any development aid to Burma until democracy is reestablished.

Central Leading Committee
Headquarters
All Burma Student's Democratic Front
8888 camp, Southern Command

    For more information, please contact: Zaw Min_ Joint Secretary of
                      Foreign Affairs of the ABSDF
                     E,mail: lurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       Mailing: P.O Box 42, Hua Mark P.O, Bangkok 10343, Thailand