BURMA: ON THE ROAD TO PEACE

/* Written 17 July 6:00am 1995 by DRUNOO@xxxxxxxxxxxx(DR U NE OO) in igc:reg.burma */
/* ----------------" BURMA: On the road to peace "------------------ */

The unconditional release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi on 10 July by the Burmese
military  authorities been most welcomed news for Burmese people throughout
the world and international community. The release not only raises hope for
the  democracy in Burma,it also opens the  opportunity to peacefully settle
Burma's the political problems. Hopes are high  for  all  the  ethnic
minorities of Burma for national reconciliations.

Daw  Aung  San  Suu  Kyi  immediately  after  her release  assures that the
national  reconciliation  will be her priority in the near  future. In this
regards, she will  continue  to  receive  moral  as  well  as  professional
supports from us. Burma's problems have been most complex and serious at all
time.   Therefore the democratic  forces  must be able to make decisions in
the time of a necessity. Furthermore, strict  adherence  to  the  principal
objectives of establishing a democratic government  and that of the federal
union  by  all  groups  concerned  are  most  vital elements for building a
unified movement.

Non-partisan support
--------------------
>From  a  non-partisan's  view  of the current situation, the improvement of
humanitarian situation for Burmese people and the problems of refugees  are
the  priority issues. We have made no secret of the fact that the return of
refugees to their home land is important and therefore improvement  to  the
human rights situation had been requested from all parties to the conflicts.
Measures are being taken in  regards to  this  matter. We are however very
much in the hope that, with the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the SLORC
will become more cooperative in resolving these matters.

The first priority must be  given to implement the ceasefire between ethnic
minorities and Burmese army. We are hoping that  the  political  settlement
through dialogue can now be made as Aung San Suu Kyi been released. As soon
as the Federal solution for Burma is secured,i.e. a guarantee through  U.N.
for  a  future   Federal  constitution being made, the ethnic rebels should
consider to renounce the armed struggle. This will be most hardest part  of
the decision that is to be made by the democratic forces.

Although Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is the leader of  the  pro-democracy  forces,
one should not always expecting her to make decision for us.The pro-democracy
forces  must firstly put forward their views and resolutions for consultations
by all parties involved  and  make  own  initiatives  to  implement  such
resolution. It is as a matter of sharing responsibility in making decisions.

The issue of Federal Union
--------------------------
Because  of  historical  complexity  of  ethnic minority issues, the ethnic
leaders   need   to   demonstrate   that   their  primary  objectives   are
establishment of  Federal Union and not of the secession from the Union. It
must always bear  in mind about the current political climate and  must  be
able to make judgement on the appropriateness of their objectives.  Failure
to  do  so will amounts to an obstacle to the overall peace settlements and
will also become danger to the democratization process.

In tackling the issue of the Federal  Union  for  Burma,  we  'expect'  the
concerned parties from both side of politics to make  a sincere cooperation
and  approach constructively to this issue. Our ethnic minorities have been
in long struggle for the equal rights as  for  Burmans.  The  Burmans  must
simply respect the aspirations of the ethnic minorities. It is unacceptable
to  simply  to find the weakness of the ethnic minorities and destroy their
aspirations.

It   has   been   our  good  intention  which  apparently  shared  by   the
international community that the stability in Burma should be maintained at
the same time steady progress towards establishment of democratic government
be  made. These objectives  could  only be achieved when all parties to the
conflict putting aside their own  interests  and  working  towards  genuine
national reconciliation.

Humanitarian assistance
-----------------------
Some of the ethnic leaders may have particular concerns on the humanitarian
assistance  for  their  own  people. There have never been any intention of
excluding such an assistance to any of minority groups. The reason has been
a lack of information from some ethnic groups. Because of the Federal issue
has been so sensitive politically in Burma, we have to  rely  primarily  on
well-established  &connected  groups  such  as  Karen  National  Union  for
formulation  of  strategy. There is no cause for anxiety in regards to such
assistance: all  the  people  of  Burma  certainly  deserve assistance.  We
still need to do much lobbying to get such assistance  from  U.N.  and  the
governments.

/* Endreport */