BurmaNet News 15th July 1995

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: July 15, 1995

Bangkok Post.

      BURMESE SWARM SUU KYI'S HOUSE FOR GLIMPSE OF HER
      THAKSIN CALL TO TAKE BURMA INITIATIVE
      BURMA MILITARY JUNTA SETS NEWS BLACKOUT ON SUU KYI'S RELEASE
      SUU KYI RELEASE A BIG BOOST FOR ASEAN POLICY
      ABBESU STAGE A BRIEF DEMONSTRATION IN BANGKOK
      INDIA HOPES SUU KYI'S RELEASE HERALDS NEW ERA
      WIMOL: BURMA ON TRACK FOR DEMOCRACY
      SUU KYI WANTS TELEPHONE
      SCEPTICS SEE JUNTA DOING A PR EXERCISE
      SUU KYI TELLS INVESTORS DON'T RUSH
      3 BURMESE DIE IN MORTAR ATTACK
      IMMIGRATION POLICE ACCUSED OF FORCING BURMESE GIRLS TO STRIP TAK
      RANGOON QUIET ON 'PRIVATE MATTER' OF SUU KYI RELEASE
      SUU KYI REMEMBERED AS SHY GIRL
      REBEL GROUP: SLORC DOESN'T DESERVE PRAISE
      THAILAND, BURMA TO HOLD TALKS ON BORDER DIFFERENCES
      THAILAND HOPES FOR TALKS AMONG BURMESE GROUPS
      OVER 400 KARENNI REFUGEES CROSS BORDER TO FLEE FIGHTING
      EXILED BURMESE STUDENTS LIKELY TO STEP UP DEMANDS
      SHAN CONGRESS ISSUES CALL FOR RECONCILIATION
      BURMA SEEKS FIRST STEP TOWARD ROLE IN ASEAN
      SUU KYI URGES THAILAND TO FOCUS ON HER PEOPLE'S NEEDS
      SUU KYI WILLING TO HOLD TALKS WITH RULING JUNTA
      THAI BURMESE AGREE ON BORDER RIVER DEMARCATION
      SALWEEN WATER DIVERSION GETS GREEN LIGHT

The Nation.

      US SANCTIONS BILL DELAYED ON NEWS OF SUU KYI
      KAREN ATTACK  ARMY BARRACKS
      GLOBAL PRESSURE ON BURMESE JUNTA ALL SET TO CONTINUE
      MEETINGS ALL DAY AS SUU KYI PRESSES ON
      OPEC IN SECOND $10 -MILLION LOAN TO RANGOON
      SUU KYI'S RELEASE "ONLY THE FIRST STEP" FOR BURMESE JUNTA
      ASEAN CLAIMS CREDIT FOR DECISION TO RELEASE SUU KYI
      SUU KYI STILL MOVES THE HEARTS OF THE BURMESE
      THAILAND WOULD "MORE THAN" WELCOME BURMA INTO ASEAN
      TROUBLED THAI-BURMESE TIES NEED REVIEW

                             o-------------------------------o
The BurmaNet News is an      |                               |
electronic newspaper         |                  Iti          |
covering Burma.  Articles    |                 snotpo        |
from newspapers, magazines,  |             werthatcor        |
newsletters, the wire        |            ruptsbutfea        |
services and the Internet as |           r.Fearoflosin       |
well as original material    |          gpowercorrupts       |
are published.               |       thosewhowielditand      |
The BurmaNet News  is        |     fearofthescourgeofpowe    |
e-mailed  directly to        |    rcorruptsthosewhoaresub    |
subscribers  and  is         |   jecttoit.Theeffortnecess    |
also  distributed via        |  arytoremainuncorruptedinan   |
the soc.culture.burma        |   environmentwherefearisanint |
and seasia-l mailing         |      egralpartisnotimmediat   |
lists and is also            |      elyapparanttothose       |
available via the            |        fortunateenough        |
reg.burma conference on      |         toliveinstates        |
the APC networks.  For a     |         governedbythe         |
free subscription to         |          ruleoflaw...         |
the BurmaNet News, send      |           Fearisahabi         |
an e-mail message to:        |                t.Iam          |
                             |                   no          |
 majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx       |                  taf          |
                             |                   ra          |
In the body of the message,  |                  id.          |
type: subscribe burmanews-l  |                  Aun          |
[news only mailing list],    |                  gSa          |
or, for the news+discussion  |                  nS           |
list, type:                  |                   uu          |
   subscribe burmanet-l      |                   Ky          |
                             |                   i.          |
Correspondance and letters   o-------------------------------o
to the editor should be addressed to: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

INFORMATION ABOUT BURMA VIA THE WEB AND GOPHER:

Information about Burma is available via the WorldWideWeb at:

FreeBurmaWWW http://199.172.178.200/freebrma/freebrma.htm.
[including back issues of the BurmaNet News as .txt files]

BurmaWeb:  http://www.uio.no/tormodl

Burma fonts:
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~lka/burmese-fonts/moe.html

Ethnologue Database(Myanmar):

http://www-ala.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rap/Ethnologue/eth.cgi/Myanmar

TO ACCESS INFORMATION ABOUT BURMA VIA GOPHER:

 gopher csf.colorado.edu.

Look under the International Political Economy section, then
select Geographic_Archive, then Asia, then Burma.

BURMANET SUBJECT-MATTER RESOURCE LIST

BurmaNet regularly receives enquiries on a number of different
topics related to Burma.  The scope of the subjects involved is
simplytoo broad for any one person to cover.  BurmaNet is
therefore organizing a number of volunteer coordinators to field
questions on various subjects.  If you have questions on any of
the following subjects, please direct email to the following
coordinators, who will either answer your question or try to put
you in contact with someone who can:

Arakan/Rohingya/Burma-   [volunteer needed]
Bangladesh border
Art/archaeology/:        [volunteer needed]
Campus activism:
Boycott campaigns:
Buddhism:                Buddhist Relief Mission,
                         c/o NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fonts:                   tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
History of Burma:        zar1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chin history/culture:
Kachin history/culture:  74750.1267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Karen history/culture:   102113.2571@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                         Karen Historical Society
Mon history/culture:     [volunteer needed]
Naga history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
[Burma-India border]
Pali literature:         "Palmleaf"
                         c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Shan history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
Tourism campaigns:          bagp@xxxxxxxxxx
                         "Attn. S. Sutcliffe"
World Wide Web:          FreeBurma@xxxxxxxxx
Volunteering:            Dr. Christina Fink
                         c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx

[Feel free to suggest more areas of coverage]

===== item =====

~BURMESE SWARM SUU KYI'S HOUSE FOR GLIMPSE OF HER
12.7.95/Bangkok Post

CROWDS swarmed the gates of Burmese dissident Aung San Suu Kyi's
house yesterday hoping to catch a glimpse of her and underlining
the opposition leader's still immense popularity.

Burma's military government stunned the world on Monday when it
unexpectedly released Suu Kyi , 50, after keeping her under house
arrest for nearly six years. No conditions were attached to her
freedom .

Although official media had failed to report Suu Kyi's release,
people began hearing the news by word of mouth and quickly
flocked to her house .

The street was packed with parked cars and a steady stream of
traffic flowed past the house all day .

Mie Mie , a 30-year-old woman wearing an " Aung San Suu Kyi" T-
shirt, said she had come to the house late on Monday night and
returned early yesterday in the hope of seeing her hero.

"I am so happy, I just want to see her," she said.

Late in the afternoon , Suu Kyi climbed up from behind the gates
of her compound and spoke to the waiting crowd, reassuring them
that she had not struck any secret deals with the military in
exchange for her freedom.

Some people carried flowers they hoped to give to the Nobel
laureate, while others clutched books.

But most just, looked expectantly at the high walls that had
imprisoned Suu Kyi since July 20, 1989 , and said they were happy
she was freed.

" Everybody is very happy to see this," said Thet, a 29-year-old
student . " We have a chance now for the future of the country ."

Conspicuously absent were any uniformed police or military
officials to control a crowd which grew larger and jostled with
reporters and diplomats allowed to enter Suu Kyi's house for a
news conference .

Despite the large numbers, the crowd was peaceful and there was
no sign people might stage an anti-government demonstration.

===== item =====

~THAKSIN CALL TO TAKE BURMA INITIATIVE
Bkk Post/12.7.95

PALANG Dharma leader Thakisn Shinawatra wants the new Government
to play a leading role in dealing with Burma after the release of
Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

The Government should pay special attention to developments in
Burma which could lead to an improved atmosphere conducive to
investment by Thai businessmen, he said yesterday.

Mr Thaksin, a former foreign minister, said the Government should
be the first to enter the country and prepare strong grounds for
Thai investors.

If fly-by-night businessmen entered Burma first, they could
damage Thailand's image destroy the cordial atmosphere between
the two countries.

Mr Thaksin, asked whether the release was a positive sign for
democracy in Burma, said it was intended to gain more acceptance
from the world community. Rangoon's ruling State Law and Order
Restoration Council might have realised the need to open up the
country to the outside world.

I believe they (SLORC) realised the possible impact that would
come after the release and considered it beyond their capacity to
control, so they decided to do it to give their country a better
image, he said, adding that more support and investment from
foreign countries, especially those in the western hemisphere
would follow.

Nam Thai Party leader Amnuay Viravan yesterday said Rangoon's
gesture would bring broader acceptance from the world community
and strengthen relations between Burma and other countries.

But he declined to say whether Suu Kyi's release could be
attributed to Thailand's constructive engagement policy toward
SLORC.

He said the Foreign Ministry, under the supervision of his party,
would build good relations with Burma.

The new foreign minister should take this opportunity to improve
relations and clear problems between the two countries, said Mr
Amnuay, the deputy prime minister-designate who will supervise
the Foreign Ministry.

===== item =====

~BURMA MILITARY JUNTA SETS NEWS BLACKOUT ON SUU KYI'S RELEASE
Bkk Post/12.7.95
Rangoon, Reuters

BURMA'S military rulers imposed a local news blackout yesterday
on the sudden release of opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi who
is due to speak publicly for the first time after nearly six
years under house arrest.

While her release won praise from world leaders, life went on as
usual in the Burmese capital.

Residents who crowded to buy morning newspapers for news of Suu
Kyi's release wire disappointed. There was no mention of the 50-
years -old Nobel Peace Prize winner in the state-run newspaper
nor was there any news on government-controlled television or
radio.

People are anxious, very eager to learn about this news, one
Burmese man said..

We've all been waiting by our televisions and radio but the
official media hasn't said anything yet, he said.

Suu Kyi is scheduled to hold a news conference at 1 pm. (Thailand
time) less than 24 hours after her release on Monday.

Diplomats said the decision not to report Suu Kyi'srelease was a
sign of caution on the part of the ruling State Law and Order
Restoration Council (SLORC).

There seems to be a news blackout domestically, it's percolating
down but you get a sense we're in a wait-and-see period, one
Rangoon diplomat said.

They're going to see the lie of the land, how the dust settles,
he said.

Suu Kyi's unexpected, unconditional release on Monday has been
welcomed by governments around the world though many also said
they want to see more progress towards the restoration of
democracy and human rights.

It's a good omen for the slow move toward democracy for Burma but
still there's on clear indication how fast they will move to hand
over power to the people, one Asian diplomat in Rangoon told
Reuters.

While military officials told reporters yesterday Suu Kyi's
freedom was unconditional, there were still many questions about
her future and the extent to which she will be allowed to
participate in her country's future.

Does this mean she'll be given a role in her country's political
process. We don't know, one Bangkok-based envoy said.

Many analysts agreed that her release showed that the SLORC was
confident in its abilty to control developments.

It's a very conservative regime. They would not have volunteered
an action which is so high-risk if they were not very sure of
themselves, one of the Rangoon diplomats said.

They feel that they are releasing her into a very controlled
environment, he said.

But others warned that too much pressure in the SLORC at this
stage from outside powers of from democracy activists at home
could backfire.

Suu Kyi must be careful not to upset the SLORC and so must other
third particles, like Western democracy activists or the United
States, one of the diplomats said.

It's a fragile move to a freer Burma. Involvement of third
parties could upset this movement, he warned.

Suu Kyi's husband. British academic Michael Aris, emerged briefly
from his Oxford home to tell reporters; I am still waiting for
confirmation.

I am trying to get that confirmation from various sources.
Whether or not I receive confirmation I know that it is my wife's
wish that I do not give any comments in public, he said.

===== item =====

~SUU KYI RELEASE A BIG BOOST FOR ASEAN POLICY
Bkk Post/12.7.95
jakarta, Reuters

BURMA'S release of democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi was heralded
yesterday as a vindication of ASEAN's constructive engagement
policy that brought a step nearer its dream of embracing the
region.

Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) ministers,
academics and diplomats agreed that by freeing her, Burma's
ruling generals appeared to be responding to ASEAN efforts to
maintain a dialogue with one of Asia's pariah governments.

I think certainly the release responded to the pervasive effort
on the part of the ASEAN organisation to pursue constructive
engagement, said acting Foreign Minister Surin Pisuwan.

Burma's State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) has faced
international condemnation since it took power in a bloody
crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in 1988 and placed Suu Kyi
under house arrest a year later.

But ASEAN has steered a more cautions line, preferring to gently
cajole the impoverished regime into relaxing political controls

Academics and diplomats say the surprise release of Suu Kyi
boosted ASEAN's position before this month's ASEAN-hosted talks
with several Western nations in Brunei.

Despite rapidly warming ties between ASEAN members and Rangoon,
particularly Singapore and Indonesa, Burma has yet formally to
seek membership of the organisation.

Diplomats in Kuala Lumpur said Burma was not seeking more than
guest observers status for the time being, partly because it has
neither money nor the diplomatic expertise to commit to the broad
array of ASEAN meetings.

Another block has been its human rights human rights records.

"We know that Burma has keen to join the extended ASEAN family
and ASEAN is keen on constructive engagement, but in order to
have Burma accepted completely there is at least a minimum
standards of observation of human rights and this would be a good
start for Burma,"  Indonesian academic Dewi Fortuna Anwar said of
Suu Kyi's release.

Behind the move, diplomats said, Rangoon was indicating how aware
it was of the importance of ASEAN's support.

By appearing to respond positively to ASEAN's encouragement,
Burma's move would defuse growing Western criticism of the
group's unwillingness to put the screws on Rangoon.

The timing is crucial. ASEAN foreign ministers are due to hold
their annual meeting this month in Brunei, which in part includes
talks with counterparts  from the United States, China, Japan and
the European Union.

===== item =====

~ABBESU STAGE A BRIEF DEMONSTRATION IN BANGKOK

A big picture of a Burmese student wearing Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
T-shirt and clenching her fist in resistance to the Burmese junta
in a protest outside the Burmese embassy in Bangkok yesterday
appeared on a page of Bangkok Post news paper today.

Members of All Burma basic Education Students Union yesterday
staged a brief protest in front of the embassy to demand
immediate release of student leader Min Ko Naing and other
political prisoners in Burma. They also demanded that SLORC start
talks with Aung San Suu Kyi to achieve national reconciliation
and take steps to hand over power to elected representatives.

===== item =====

~INDIA HOPES SUU KYI'S RELEASE HERALDS NEW ERA

by Dinesh Sharma
New Delhi

THE unexpected release of Burmese dissident leader Aung San Suu
Kyi has been widely welcomed in India by the Government,
political parties and exiled Burmese students living in India.

Suu Kyi has had a special relationship with India, as she lived
there for a long time and was educated in a Delhi college.

The Burmese leader was conferred the prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru
Award for International Understanding in May this year, for her
struggle for freedom and democracy for the Burmese.

Jubilation marked the news among the 200 or so Burmese students
who took refuge in India in 1988 after the crackdown on pro-
democracy elements in Burma by the State Law and Order
Restoration Council regime.

We view this as a positive step toward restoration of democracy
in Burma, said Shar Aung, general-secretary of the All Burma
Students League, the organization of exiled Burmese students in
India.

However, these pro-democracy students have no immediate plans to
return to Burma, as they fear arrest by the military junta.

Everything is still in the hands of the military rulers and they
may even re-arrest Suu Kyi if she indulges in political activity.
So there is no question of us returning to Burma now, Shar Aung
told the Bangkok Post.

The student leader said international pressure made the military
rulers realise they should release Suu Kyi to improve their own
image and to get more foreign investment. This was evident from
the fact that Australia and Japan had already announced they
would increase trade with Burma.

At the same time, Shar Aung accused the Indian government of
indulging in double standards with regard to its Burma policy.

On one hand, the Indian government stepped up trade with the
military government by opening the border trade, on the other
hand, it gave the Nehru Award to Suu Kyi.

He said the Rao government probably wanted to counter the growing
Chinese influence in Burma, by normalising relations and pumping
Indian investments into burma.

Welcoming Suu Kyi's release, the Indian government said it hoped
that her release would herald an era of national reconciliation,
freedom and democracy for the people of Burma.

We appreciate the step taken by the SLORC, said a spokesman for
the Ministry of External Affairs in a brief official reaction.
There was no official reaction from the ruling Congress Party.

Two leading left-wing parties-the Communist Party of India (CPI)
and the Marxist Party-welcomed the release and issued separate
statements.

The CPI said; The international community which became furious
over the repressive act of the junta has been continuously
campaigning for her release and for the restoration of democracy
in Burma. Ultimately, international public opinion and the will
of the people or Burma prevailed over the junta and forced her
unconditional release.

In a strong editorial comment, the leading mainline daily
published in the Indian capital, the "Times of India", said the
release suggested that the SLORC no longer perceived her as a
major threat. The assessment might be based on the SLORC's
calculation that, in the changed circumstances, it would not be
easy for Suu Kyi to reorganise the popular movement.

With investments flowing in from the East and Southeast Asia,
people too were not as frustrated as before.

At the same time, the paper pointed out that Gen Ne Win, the
patron of militarism in Burma, was unlikely to last long and his
death would rekindle popular expectations about changes in the
political culture of Burma.

The junta may perceive the release as an adroit move to preserve
its power even while world. However, it remains to be seen what
forces Suu Kyi's release will unleash. The test lies in how
quickly and and freely she can lead people toward freedom and
democracy, the paper said.

The students' league issued a statement demanding the military
junta start negotiations with the democratic forces led by Suu
Kyi to hand over state power to the National League for Democracy
which won the elections in 1990.

It also demanded the immediate release of all political
prisoners, including student leaders, and that the SLORC grant
basic human rights such as freedom of expression and of movement.

===== item =====

~WIMOL: BURMA ON TRACK FOR DEMOCRACY

BURMA's State Law and Order Restoration Council is gradually
moving back on the track toward democracy as seen by the release
of opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, Army Chief Wimol
Wongwanich claimed yesterday.

What SLORC has done shows it is working in a way that is suitable
for the country. We admire the Burmese government for having done
many things that lead to the restoration of perfect democracy,
Gen Wimlo said.

He said Thailand's constructive engagement policy toward Burma
proved right as it helped a neighbouring country understand what
it should do. Isolating Burma was not the right idea.

He said Burmese students taking refuge in Thailand had been
exercising too much freedom in protesting against their own
country-and that could cause conflicts among Thailand an other
countries.

Gen Wimol said he agreed Burmese students had the right to
express an opinion but they should work within limits.

They should not have greater freedom in doing things than Thais.
They should not have more freedom here than in their country.

===== item =====

~SUU KYI WANTS TELEPHONE

Rangoon, AFP

WORLD leaders everywhere have congratulated Aung San Suu Kyi on
being released from six years of house arrest, but she hasn't
heard from any of them or even from her family in England.

She still doesn't have a telephone in her Rangoon home.

I must do something about that right away, she told reporters
yesterday.

But I'm not sure I really want to do anything about that because
it will never stop ringing, she added quickly.

===== item =====

~SCEPTICS SEE JUNTA DOING A PR EXERCISE

BURMA'S release of Aung San Suu Kyi is an important first step
for the military regime, but analysts say that meaningful
political dialogue has yet to begin.

The charismatic dissident, released after nearly six years of
house arrest, spoke almost immediately of the need for national
reconciliation and dialogue between the junta and all democratic
forces. The junta said nothing.

"The question now is whether the military will carry through," a
Rangoon-based diplomat said by telephone. "She says she'll talk,
but it takes two to tango."

Skeptics suggested the release was a public relations exercise
intended to gain greater international acceptance for the junta
both politically and economically.

With this (release), they can avoid more criticism and can
attract some of the foreign investment they need, an Asian
diplomat commented.

They don't need to do much more at this time, as (the release of)
Aung San Suu Kyi was the crucial benchmark for many countries in
gauging the junta's progress toward a more democratic regime, the
diplomat said.

But other Burma-watchers felt the international community would
not be satisfied with stagnation, and that Rangoon realised it
would have to give further signs of movement.

"It won't be fast, and it won't be smooth, but it will happen,"
said another regional deplomat based in the Burmese capital.

Arguing in favour of genuine dialogue, he held, was Burma's
desire to gain status in the dynamic southeast Asian region, and
its related desire to attract foreign investment to replace an
antiquated and in adequate infrastructure.

With lucrative oil contracts pending, Rangoon also wanted to
avoid a threatened US ban on bilateral business links, analysts
said.

===== item =====

~SUU KYI TELLS INVESTORS DON'T RUSH

Rangoon Reuters

BURMA'S opposition leader Aung San suu Kyi yesterday urged
foreign businessmen queuing up to invest in her resource-rich
country to study the situation carefully before deciding whether
the time was right.

Of course, in the long run I think we would need international
investment but I don't think we should rush into this, she told
the British Broadcasting Corporation in an interview.

It is the word rush I object to, I think you've got to study the
situation much more carefully, she said.

Burma's military government on Monday revoked an order which has
confined the 50-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner to the compound
of her Rangoon home for the past six years.

Her release has been welcomed cautiously around the world by
political leaders and the business community, many members of
which, particularly in neighbouring southeast Asian countries,
see attractive profits in long-isolated Burma's resources and its
fledgling tourist industry.

I want to study the situation much more carefully before I say
whether I truly believed that this is the right time for
investments in Burma, Suu Kyi said.

Exiled Burmese dissidents around the world have been lobbying for
years against investment in Burma, arguing that it would only
bolster the position of the military government.

Total foreign investment in Burma was $2.752 billion as of March
this year, and was expected to increase to $4 billion by the end
of 1995, Burma's Minister for National Planning and Economic
Development, David Abel, said last month.

Most foreign investment in Burma is in oil and gas, hotels and
tourism, fisheries, mining and forestry. The biggest investors
include Britain, France, the United States, Singapore and
Thailand.

Suu Kyi, daughter of Burma's revered independence hero General
Aung San also appealed yesterday to her supporters to be patient
but asssured them that democracy was on its way.

Standing on a chair behind her front gate and speaking through a
megaphone, Suu Kyi thanked about 200 supporters waiting outside,
saying she was grateful for their support an encouragement.

The crowd cheered: Long live Aung San Suu Kyi several times after
her brief impromptu speech.

The crowd, which grew steadily throughout the day, quietly
dispersed after Suu Kyi's speech when she urged them to leave and
clear the road for traffic as a good omen for our cause.

Earlier in the day, Suu Kyi held her second news conference since
her release inside her ramshackle lakeside home near Rangoon
University.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to warn everybody not to
expect too much too quickly," she said.

===== item =====

~3 BURMESE DIE IN MORTAR ATTACK

Tak

THREE Burmese workers were killed and two seriously wounded in a
mortar attack, believed to be the work of Karen National Union
rebels, on Myawaddy town opposite Mae Sot District yesterday, a
border source said.

The incident occur around 1:00 a.m when five 81 mm mortar shells
landed on the new market in Myawaddy's northern suburbs.

Three workers were killed instantly. Two were seriously wounded
and admitted to Myawaddy hospital.

Burmese authorities believe the rounds were fired by KNU rebels
from Huay Nam Rom, about eight kilometers north of Myawaddy
hospital, opposite Ban Wang Ta Khien in Mae Sot District.

===== item =====

~IMMIGRATION POLICE ACCUSED OF FORCING BURMESE GIRLS TO STRIP TAK

Two committees have been set up to investigate a Burmese woman's
complaint that she and sic other women were forced to strip naked
for a "body search" in front of immigration police when they had
no money to pay a repatriation fee.

Khin Than Thein, 21, filed the complaint with Tak Chamber of
Commerce president Niyom Wairatpanih with the help of Mahn Bala
Sheir, chairman of the Huay Kaloke Karen refugee camp, on
Tuesday.

She said that about two weeks ago she was among 20 Burmese who
were found guilty of illegal entry. They were sent to the Tak
immigration office for repatriation.

The immigration police asked the seven women whether they had 200
baht to pay the repatriation fee. When they said they had no
money, the police took them to one room and order them to take
off their clothes in front of many male detainees who make
laughing and making dirty comments about their bodies.

Some police molested some of the women, Khin Than Thein said.

She said she was married and had three children, She crossed the
border from Hlaing Bwe in the central part of Karen State to
Thailand in May to seek a job in Mae Sot where she was arrested.

Provincial immigration police chief Lt-Col Chinapat Tansrikul
said the incident occurred while he was in Bangkok on an official
trip.

The incident was reported to the higher command and two
committees were set up to investigate. If the police were found
guilty they would face disciplinary and legal action.

The police alleged to have taken part in the incident would be
brought before the complainant for identification today.

Earlier this week, a Burmese Muslim displaced person accused the
immigration police in Tak of illegally detaining him and taking
away his jewellery worth about 190,000 baht.

===== item =====

~RANGOON QUIET ON 'PRIVATE MATTER' OF SUU KYI RELEASE

Rangoon, Reuters

TWO days after freeing opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, Burma
military government yesterday still refused to tell the nation,
apparently trying to play down its importance.

The country's official media has made no mention of her surprise
release on Monday despite the 50-year-old Nobel Peace laureate's
public appearance before the world's press at her home on
Tuesday.

"We have no announcement," a senior information ministry official
said yesterday. "it is of no concern to us. That is a private
affairs so we do not plan to cover it."

Diplomats speculated the tight-lipped attitude of the military
government was an attempt to belittle the charismatic leader's
importance.

This was despite the government request to her that she help
toward the achieving peace and stability across the country in
Monday's official notification to her that it was lifting nearly
six years of house arrest.

The attitude seems to echo a message from powerful intelligence
chief Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt last Friday.

In a speech setting out the military government's long-term
goals, he said the tights of 45 millions people were more
important than those of "any single person."

The Front page of yesterday state-run New Light of Myanmar
newspaper seemed to confirm that line. In a quarter page box the
government again outlined its political, economic and social
objectives.

It called for stability of the state, peace and tranquility,
national reconciliation and the building of a modern nation in
accordance with a new constitution.

Sections already agreed by a government-appointed body drawing up
the new charter rule out Suu Kyi ever becoming Burma's leader
because she is married to a foreigner, and guarantee the military
a "leading role" in politics.

Diplomats also said the black out might be an attempt to stave
off any possible reaction by jubilant pro-democracy supporters.

"You can speculate it is to keep interest dampened and not make
of widespread,"  one diplomat said. "But news travels fast here ,
by now it's all over Rangoon."

He said it was ironic that international newscast_ some of which
are beamed into Burma via satellite_ had Suu Kyi as the top story
while official Burmese radio and television reported on a
Buddhist holiday and a new agriculture project.

One Rangoon resident, who heard the news on a BBC broadcast on
Monday, said the government efforts to suppress the news was
futile.

"They want to close every body's eyes and ears. They want to
control every body," he said. "But we know. We love Aung San Suu
Kyi.

Although Suu Kyi, who was put under house arrest on July 20,
1989, held an hour-long mews conference at her lakeside home on
Tuesday, she has not left her compound to talk with the hordes of
supporters outside.

Suu Kyi clearly wanted to show her appreciation to her many
supporter, but was hesitant to outside her gates probably because
her appearance might lead to a demonstration or uprising,
diplomats said.

Instead she made a brief speech from inside her gates, peering
over the walls of the compound that had been her prison for the
past six years.

She told the applauding crowd she was still a member of the
National League for Democracy which she help found, and promised
she had she had not betrayed them in return for her release.

Most of the hundreds  of people who had gone to her house heard
the news of her release either by word of mouth of through BBC
radio and television programmes broadcast here.

Crowd has dwindled in front of her house yesterday, partly
because it was a regular workday. Tuesday had been a Buddhist
holiday. There were about four uniformed policemen guarding the
gates.

===== item =====

~SUU KYI REMEMBERED AS SHY GIRL

New Delhi, Reuters

An Indian schoolmate of Aung San Suu Kyi says she watched the
Burmese the Burmese dissident grow from a shy girl onto a
confident woman in the years they spent together in New Delhi.

"One saw Suu change from a shy, self-effacing schoolgirl to
person with confidence and definite views," Malvika Karlekar, who
has known Suu Kyi since 1959 when they went to high school
together in New Delhi, told Reuters in New Delhi, told Reuters by
telephone late on Tuesday.

"She was a person of tremendous discipline_ it was evident from
the way she sat, conducted herself, spoke and studied," said
Karlekar, who later studied with Suu Kyi in New Delhi's Lady Shri
Ram (LSR) College and England's Oxford University.

"It was at Oxford that she became a person with distinct
political views," Karlekar said. "I mean, in school, we were all
callow teenagers trying to find a place for ourselves."

"Suu used to wear a traditional lungyi to LSR, but at Oxford she
had switched to jeans," said Karlekar.

Karlekar said Suu Kyi, daughter of Burma's independence hero and
whose mother was once Burmese ambassador to India, had never
expressed overtly political views while at college.

===== item =====

~REBEL GROUP: SLORC DOESN'T DESERVE PRAISE
14.7.95/Bangkok Post

The Democratic Alliance of Burma yesterday said the time is not
yet appropriate to praise the ruling State Law and Order
Restoration Council for its latest move to ease the mounting
pressure applied by the international community to restore
democracy to Burma.

In a statement received yesterday the DAB said, "This is not an
occasion to show any sign of appreciation to the illegal ruling
military junta in Rangoon for doing something which is way
overdue and damaging for the country. They were compelled to
release Daw Aung San Suu Kyi."

It added that the SLORC had suffered an ignominious political
defeat at the hands of the ever-growing strength of pro-democracy
supporters inside and outside Burma.

DAB attributed this defeat to the "overwhelming support" received
from the international community and the "courage and
perseverance shown by the Burmese people in the struggle for
democracy."

Meanwhile the Burmese Muslim Liberation Organization [MLO]
yesterday expressed its " profound happiness" for Suu Kyi.

" We are deeply grateful for her strong conviction and courage in
spite of all the difficulties and obstacles she had faced during
her detention," it said.

The MLO statement pointed out the Rangoon regime has realised at
last that the problems of the country cannot be overcome with
military might.

"We therefore urge SLORC to seriously consider holding a
tripartite dialogue with the democratic forces led by Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi and the ethnic resistance groups in the country."

===== item =====

~THAILAND, BURMA TO HOLD TALKS ON BORDER DIFFERENCES
14.7.95/Bangkok Post
Mae Sot, Tak

Thailand and Burma will meet today to discuss their differences
on border issues, Thai military sources said yesterday.

Among issues for discussion is Burma's claim that Thailand has
encroached onto the Moei River on the Thai side by allowing
stalls and shophouses to be built over the water, according to
the sources.

Assistant Army Commander Gen Chettha Thanajaro will lead a Thai
delegation in talks with Burmese led by Construction Minister
Maj-Gen Saw Tun and Southeastern Force Commander Maj-Gen Ket
Sein.

Early last month Burma told Thailand to suspend construction of
the Thai-Burmese Friendship Bridge over the river, which links
Mae Sot and Myawaddy, because of the encroachment . Rangoon
demanded all buildings on the river be removed before talks could
be held to resume construction of the bridge.

The dispute could not be left unresolved and the meeting was
aimed at clearing up misunderstanding so construction could
resume, Gen Chettha said.

Yesterday, he led 50 military officers and officials from the
Foreign Affairs Ministry to inspect the bridge site and nearby
areas after meeting officials from the Local Administration and
Highway departments as well as businessmen at the Task Force 34
headquarters.

===== item =====

~THAILAND HOPES FOR TALKS AMONG BURMESE GROUPS

THAILAND yesterday expressed hope that Burmese military leaders,
democratic forces and ethnic minorities can start talks to settle
problems in the country following the release of dissident leader
Aung San Suu Kyi earlier this week.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Suvidhya Simaskul issued an official
statement to welcome Suu Kyi's release after nearly six years
under house arrest, but warned there were still many problems to
be tackled to bring about peace and prosperity to Burma.

"Her house arrest was a rather new problem for the Burmese
Government, compared with other problems which have existed for a
long time," he said.

He said many important steps needed to be taken toward full
democracy and economic development which would eventually bring
about peace and stability in the country.

"Thailand gives high priority to peace and stability in its
neighbouring country."

He called on the international community to support dialogue and
cooperation among Burmese military leaders, Suu Kyi and ethnic
minorities in resolving these problems which have kept Burma one
of the poorest countries.

Suu Kyi's release was a positive development, but political
dialogue had yet to begin, he said.

"If leaders from all groups in Burma can reach an agreement
through peaceful means, it will also contribute to peace and
stability in the region, as a whole. Thailand, as a neighbour,
will benefit from peaceful cohabitation."

===== item =====

~OVER 400 KARENNI REFUGEES CROSS BORDER TO FLEE FIGHTING
Mae Hong Son

MORE than 400 Karenni refugees have crossed into Thailand to
escape fighting between the Karenni National Progressive Party
and Burmese forces.

They entered through Ban Pang Yone border pass in Tambon Mok
Jampae, Muang District, according to Governor Somjet
Wiriyadamrong.

He said he had told officials of the provincial Public Health
Office to provide medical treatment for refugees to prevent
disease from spreading. Non-governmental organisations would be
responsible for providing food and other necessities.

About 3,000 members of the KNPP have been sheltering on the
Burmese border opposite Ban Pang Yone since fighting between the
two sides broke out last month.

Border sources said KNPP ambushes had caused considerable
problems for Burmese government soldiers.

They said Thai loggers, who had earlier done business with the
KNPP, had turned to negotiate with the 429th Battalion, a Burmese
infantry unit with an operational base on the bands of the Pai
River opposite Ban Nam Phieng Din border pass in Tambon Pha Pong,
Muang District. The loggers want to shift their logs out of the
combat zone.

===== item =====

~EXILED BURMESE STUDENTS LIKELY TO STEP UP DEMANDS

BURMESE students in Thailand are likely to further their
political aims after the release of Aung San Suu Kyi by the
military junta, Special Branch Police Commissioner Veera
Visuthakul said yesterday.

Pol Lt-Gen Veera said the students were expected to raise other
demands, especially for a new constitution to enable a general
election in Burma as soon as possible.

Should they stir up unrest in front of the Burmese Embassy or
other places, Thai authorities would issue a warning and take
legal action against them if they broke the law, he said.

John Aung, a Burmese student leader, said it was a great pleasure
that the State Law and Order Restoration Council unconditionally
released Suu Kyi after six years under house arrest.

But more than 1,000 Burmese students in Thailand would push
harder with other demands, said Mr John Aung, reasoning the Junta
complied with only that relating to Suu Kyi.

He said students would soon call on the SLORC to promulgate a
constitution urgently and call a general election.

===== item =====

~SHAN CONGRESS ISSUES CALL FOR RECONCILIATION

THE Shan State National Congress has called for national
reconciliation in Burma after the release of pro-democracy leader
Aung San Suu Kyi from house arrest on Monday.

The congress is the political wing of opium warlord Khun Sa's
Mong Tai Army.

In its statement released yesterday, the congress urged the State
Law and Order Restoration Council to urgently return freedom to
the public.

"Though the Union constitution was torn apart by the Burmese
military, we sincerely hope that like her father Suu Kyi shall be
successful in upholding her great father's promise which shall
lead to peace, progress and prosperity not only for our people
but also for the region and the rest of the world."

===== item =====

~BURMA SEEKS FIRST STEP TOWARD ROLE IN ASEAN

by Anuraj Manibhandu
Rangoon

BURMA has officially told Brunei that it wishes to accede the
Treaty of Amity and Cooperation, a first step toward full
membership of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

According to Burmese Foreign Minister Ohn Gyaw, Burma has
accepted Brunei's invitation to join, as "guest of host country"
in the annual meeting of ASEAN foreign ministers.

Brunei extended the formal invitation only last week, Mr Ohn Gyaw
told the Bangkok Post yesterday, in what was the first interview
with a foreign journalist since the July 10 release of opposition
leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

The Burmese minister refused to be drawn into any linkage with
Mrs Suu Kyi's release and the ASEAN meeting.

On July 29, in Brunei, Mr Ohn Gyaw will be appearing among ASEAN
foreign ministers for the second time. In July last year he did
so in Bangkok as "guest of host country".

Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and
Thailand will take on Vietnam as their seventh ASEAN colleague at
the Brunei meeting.

ASEAN capitals were quick to claim Mrs Suu Kyi's unexpected
release a triumph for the group's much criticised "constructive
engagement" with the ruling military junta.

Asian and Western analysts here have questioned this
interpretation, subscribing more to a mixture of contributing
factors.

"It reflects a confidence on the part of the military leadership
in their ability to control the internal situation, as well as
their need for development," said one Asian analyst.

"European states could claim the same triumph for their critical
dialogue, the United States could for their hard line. It was
more likely a combination of all three," said a Western analyst.

Burma, which in 1987 applied for Least developed Country status
with the United Nations, suffered badly from the withdrawal of
international aid from donors who were horrified with the
suppression of pro-democracy demonstrators in 1988.

The US, by virtue of being a leading contributor to the
International Monetary Fund and the World Band, effectively holds
veto power on lending by the two bodies to Burma.

Mr Ohn Gyaw, in a comment seen to include reference to the US,
slammed "certain countries" for "imposing constraints on
developing countries".

"The very idea of IMF and the World Bank is to promote economic
development," he said.

"But if there are two standards, then the very idea of
developmental assistance has no meaning".

Mr Ohn Gyaw said Burma enjoyed identical views with ASEAN on most
international issues.

Economically, he said Burma was "not in a hurry" to join the
ASEAN Free Trade Area planned for the year 2003.

"The tempo and process would be in accordance with what we could
do and could give," he said.

===== item =====

~SUU KYI URGES THAILAND TO FOCUS ON HER PEOPLE'S NEEDS
Bkk Post/ 15.7.95

by Anuraj Manibhandu
Rangoon

Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi yesterday urged the
Thai government to think of the needs the ordinary people of
Burma, and questioned what constructive engagement had achieved.

"Thai people are sympathetic," she told the Bangkok Post in a
select-group interview.

"But I would like the Thai government to look at the interests of
the ordinary people of Burma, to try to see how things are with
the ordinary, not just to look on the surface," she added.

If Thailand is really interested in helping the people of Burma,
the focus should be on what the people want," she said.

"The people are more important than the government", she
stressed.

"The Burmese people need to allowed to develop their talent more
freely," she said.

Thailand and Burma need to have "very good relations,"  because
they are neighbours and "we've got to live next to each other
forever, as long as the world lasts," she noted.

The Voice of America, World Television News and a Norwegian daily
also joined the group interview which followed a full-fledged
press conference at her residence at 54, University Avenue, where
she spent six years under house arrest.

Thailand has urged that Burmese people benefit from the process
of bringing Burma out of isolation through constructive
engagement.

Ministers of Thailand and other member states of the Association
of South East Asian Nation(ASEAN) were quick to claim Mrs Suu
Kyi's release on July 10 as a triumph for this policy.

"It is always very difficult to decide exactly how much one
particular policy has achieved," Ms Suu Kyi said, when might be a
better alternative.

There are those who say, for example, that I have been released
because of constructive engagement, and there are those who say
that I have been released because of international pressure," she
went on.

"It is very difficult to analyse and decide exactly what has
achieved and how much," she added.

Thailand, by virtue of its geographical proximity and better
knowledge of Burma, could play "a persuasive role" with ASEAN
towards any adjustment of its Burma policy, she said.

"It would be a long time yet before Burma becomes a full-fledged
member of ASEAN.

But Burma "belongs to Southeast Asia," she pointed out.

"Eventually I hope that Burma will be an active and progressive
member of ASEAN," she added.

Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines are
Thailand's current partners in ASEAN. Vietnam becomes the seventh
member later this month while Laos holds observer status with the
grouping.

On the situation in Burma, Mrs Suu Kyi told VOA that compromise
would not come easily. "I believe the will of the people is very,
very powerful," she said.

===== item =====

~SUU KYI WILLING TO HOLD TALKS WITH RULING JUNTA
Bkk Post/ 15.7.95

Rangoon, AFP

Opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi said yesterday she was willing
to negotiate with Burma's ruling junta, but appealed to the world
community to wait before rushing into the country with
development aid.

"There is no way we can achieve reconciliation unless we talk
with each other," she told a packed news conference at her
lakeside home, adding that any contacts with the junta would come
"would come firstly in the form of dialogue." But she also urged
nations and World institutions not to rush in and offer Burma
development aid before assessing the country's political
situation.

"It is too soon to rush into anything," she said, adding that
potential donors "should wait and see whether there is a genuine
move towards reconciliation and a democratic system of
government."

"I have been released. That is all. Nothing else has changed,"
she said.

Aung San Suu Kyi said while she was willing to meet with the
junta, any contact could only occur following discussions with
her colleagues in the National league for Democracy, who she has
met dialogue since her arrest.

"We have every intention of asking the SLORC for a meeting, but
only after we have decided how we wish to proceed," she said,
referring to the State Law and Order Restoration Council, as the
junta is officially known.

She said earlier this week that she would be willing to
compromise and that all sides had to be flexible of they were to
bring democracy to Burma. But she added that she has not had any
contact with the SLORC since her release.

Aung San Suu Kyi said she and NLD colleagues had not yet
discussed whether they would make the further release of
political prisoners a pre-condition for talks with the SLORC.

Aung San Suu Kyi added the SLORC, which seized power in 1988, has
recently negotiated ceasefire with most of the armed ethnic
groups that have been fighting Rangoon for more autonomy since
independence in 1948.

"Ceasefire mean less suffering, and we certainly must five
them(the military leaders) credit for this," she said.

"But a ceasefire is not a permanent peace." she added. "What we
want is permanent peace."

She decline to discuss her meetings last year with SLORC leaders
Than Shwe and Khin Nyunt, saying they had agreed at her request
not to make any details public to avoiding misunderstandings.

But she said she found khin Nyunt to be polite and "quite
charming," and that Than Shwe was "straightforward."

Aung San Suu Kyi co-founded the NLD in 1989 and campaigned widely
for the party ahead of elections that the NLD swept in April,
1990.

The SlORC subsequently ignored the poll results and refused to
relinquish power. Instead it clamped down on the opposition,
arresting top NLD leaders and forcing others to flee to the
jungle or across the border into Thailand.

Now, she said, the NLD was not trying to rebuild the party the
way it was.

"We don't want the NLD to be just exactly the way it was in 1989,
we want it to be what the NLD ought to be in 1995," she said
without elaborating.

Asked about the national convention drafting Burma's new
constitution, she reiterated that she still had reservations
about it.

"There have to be lots of changes" for the benefit of the people,
she said. "We would hope that these changes can be negotiated. It
should guarantee democracy for Burma."

In an interview in the New York Times yesterday, Aung san Suu Kyi
said she did not rule out a transitional government in which the
Burmese military shared political power with civilians.

"Power-sharing was "some-thing we must look at," she said, adding
that she would discuss the proposal with her supporters in the
democracy movement.

"I'm aware that this is what they have done in South Africa,
where they have agreed to a transitional period," Aung San Suu
Kyi said referring to the power sharing arrangement reached
between black and white South Africans Prior to last year's
elections.

"And I think it's been far more successful than some people had
thought", she added.

Asked whether a civilian government should seek retribution
against military officers involved in human rights abuses, she
said, "There's nothing good about vengeance_ it's a most ignoble
feeling." She said it was an issue she had thought "very deeply"
about, adding, "we should try to make some sort of distinction
between the person and the deed, because all of us have
weakness."

"I don't think it's vengeance that people should want," Aung San
Suu Kyi said, "I think what they should work for is the truth."

In another interview published in London's Daily Telegraph
yesterday, Aung San Suu Kyi said she bore no ill-will towards the
military regime that held her under house arrest.

"I truly feel no ill-will towards my captors. This is not just
something I am saying to be tactful or diplomatic, I myself
wonder why that is.

She said she had concluded i was party because she associated the
Burmese army with her father, Aung San, who secured Burma's
independence from Britain.

Most of my photos show my father in uniform so I grew up thinking
of the army as part of the family.

Aung San Suu Kyi also said the conditions of her detention were
quite tolerable.

===== item =====

~THAI BURMESE AGREE ON BORDER RIVER DEMARCATION
BkK Post/ 15.7.95

Mae Sot, Tak
THAILAND and Burma yesterday decided to settle the border in Moei
River before resuming construction of the Thai-Burmese Friendship
Bridge.

A Thai delegation led by Assistant Army Commander Chettha
Thanajaro and a Burmese delegation led by Construction Minister
Maj-Gen Saw Tun and Southeastern Force Commander Maj-Gen Khet
Sein reached agreement during talks.

Construction of the bridge was suspended after Burma alleged that
Thailand had built structures which encroached into the river,
causing a change in the boundary.

According to Gen Chettha, the Joint Boundary Committee will be
soon told of the talks' conclusions so it can start demarcation
work as soon as possible.

" After the demarcation is completed, construction of the bridge
will be continued. Both sides have to work on the issue urgently
so border trade will be minimally affected," he said.

The Myawaddy checkpoint in Burma has been closed for more than
four months since Burma accused Thailand of helping minority
groups.

Late last month, Thailand again faced another Burmese allegation
that it had encroached onto the river, prompting Burma to suspend
bridge work.

The assistant army commander expressed hope that when the
demarcation was completed, the situation surrounding border
issues would be improved.

Source in the area said local government officials, businessmen
and traders were disappointed with the result of the talks for
they had expected the border closure, encroachment and bridge
construction to be dealt with separately to enable the checkpoint
to reopen soon.

===== item =====

~SALWEEN WATER DIVERSION GETS GREEN LIGHT
BKK Post /15.7.95

The Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment will go ahead
with a project to divert water from the Salween River into the
Bhumibol Dam through a route linking the Moei River with Khanang
and Bhumibol dams.

The route was recommended to be the most suitable of five options
studied by Panya Consultant Company which was commissioned to
conduct a pre-feasibility study of the water diversion project,
said Pradesh Sutabutr, director-general of Energy Development and
Promotion Department, yesterday.

The consultant's study was yesterday presented before a meeting
of government officials from various agencies concerned with the
project.

Water will be drawn from the Moei River which demarcates the
borderline between Thailand and Burma into a 1.4 kilometre long
canal with the help of two 24 megawatt pumping stations,
according to the study.

The water will then be rerouted into the Huay Chaining reservoir.

Two 81-megawatt pumping stations will then pump water from the
reservoir to the Bhumibol Dam through a 16 kilometre long tunnel.
Mr Pradesh said 1,000 million cubic metres of water would be
diverted into Bhumibol Dam a year.

This would not be sufficient to meet the consumption need in the
lower Chao Pharaya River basin which is expected to reach 3,000
million cubic metres a year by the year 2006, he said.

More water will be diverted from the Salween via Mae Lama Luang
and Bhumibol dams, he said, adding that the project is also under
study.

Mr Pradesh said he would seek an additional budget to carry out a
feasibility study of the project. The study, he added, will be
completed in three years' time.

===== item =====

~US SANCTIONS BILL DELAYED ON NEWS OF SUU KYI
13.7. 95/ The Nation

A US senator has delayed introducing legislation for economic
sanctions against Burma for two weeks following the release of
pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi from house arrest in
Rangoon, according to the Burmese government-in-exile.

Senator Mitch McConnell would wait to see the Burmese junta took
further steps towards the restoration of democracy and human
rights in the country, U Bo Hla Tint, the in-exile minister for
foreign affairs, said yesterday.

McConnell had planned to introduce his sanctions bill to the
Senate on Tuesday (yesterday in Bangkok).

The US bill if passed would ban all US trade and economic
activity with the military regime.

Meanwhile, Kyodo reported from Rangoon that Aung San Suu Kyi
warned her supporters yesterday not to expect too much too soon.

"There in always the danger. The way is not going to be all that
smooth. I would like to warn my supporters not to expect too much
too quickly," she told reporters at her residence.

As long as we have a will and as long as we go about it
intelligently we will get there," she said, a reference to the
goal of democracy.

U Bo Hla Tint said the senator was delaying because he wanted to
see "substantial political dialogue" resume between Slorc [ruling
Stats Law and Order Restoration Council] and Suu Kyi who was
unexpectedly released from house arrest on Monday after nearly
six years in detention.

McConnell (Republican, Kentucky) wanted Slorc to officially
acknowledge Suu Kyi's leadership and respect the result of the
May 1990 general election, when her National League for Democracy
(NLD) won a landslide victory.

Slorc also had to lift any restrictions banning Suu Kyi's from
political activities, and work out a process to transfer power
from the military to the Burmese people.

McConnell also wanted to hear Suu Kyi's opinion on the proposed
bill.

Bo Hla Tint said McConnell would to ahead and introduce his bill
if there was no progress towards democracy and human rights.

"Real political development would require Slorc to end its
offensive against armed ethnic groups and declare a nationwide
ceasefire in Burma, and release al political prisoners including
elected MPs and end forced labour and relocation," said Bo Hla
Tint.

His administration, which has established itself an office in
Washington DC after several of its  members were refused visas to
return to Thailand, wanted "to hear from our leader [Suu Kyi]
what her view of the future of political development in Burma is.

>From Rangoon, Reuter reports that two days after freeing Suu Kyi,
the Slorc leadership was yesterday still refusing to inform the
nation, apparently trying to play down the importance of her
release.

The official media had made no mention of her release despite Suu
Kyi's public appearance before the world's press at her home on
Tuesday.

"We have no announcement, a senator information ministry official
said yesterday. "It is of no concern to us. That is a private
affair so we do not plan to cover it.

Diplomats speculated the tight-lipped attitude of Slorc was an
attempt to belittle the charismatic leader's importance.

AFP and Reuter reports said Suu Kyi yesterday remained in
seclusion at her family home on the shores of Rangoon's Lake
Inya, receiving only select visitors from the throng at her gate.

She, however, met the press yesterday for the second day after
being released and went to the gate of her family compound to
thank and show her appreciation to her many supporters, clearly
hesitant to go outside because she feared her appearance might
lead to a demonstration or uprising Rangoon-based diplomats said.

She told the hordes of people and supporters waiting that she
would " continue to do what I have to do.

Visibly happy at the contact with the crowd, the repeated a
message from the day before: "You must have patience and courage,
and control yourselves.

She told the applauding crowd she was still a member of the
National League for Democracy which she helped found, and
promised she had not betrayed them in return for her release.

She said she had undergone a medical checkup in the morning
although she felt "quiet fit".

Suu Kyi told reporters that she drew strength from the people and
appreciated that they responded to her as a person rather than as
a national figure or symbol.

"Most important point for us is to keep our eyes very steadily on
our goals. We have got to be brave but not foolhardy," she added.

Asked whether she could be active politically, she said, I intend
to be active politically. The authorities do know I will be
active politically because I consider myself a politician."

===== item =====

~KAREN ATTACK  ARMY BARRACKS
The Nation/13.7.95

Reuter

Mae Sot _ Guerrillas attacked a Burmese army barracks in a
southeastern border town in the early hours yesterday, a Thai
security officer said.

Ethnic minority Karen guerrillas fired more than 10 mortar bombs
at the army barrack in the town of Myawadi shortly after
midnight. The explosion could be clearly heard in Mae Sot.

Burmese civilians, shouting across the Moei river, later
reporters three people were killed and two wounded in the attack.

Burmese troops are hunting the guerrillas in hills to the north
of Myawadi, the Thai officer said.

The Karen National Union, which has been fighting for greater
autonomy since 1949, suffered serious setbacks earlier this year
when Burmese troops captured their headquarters and their last
main stronghold in southeastern Burma.

===== item =====

~GLOBAL PRESSURE ON BURMESE JUNTA ALL SET TO CONTINUE
14. 7.95/The Nation

RANGOON- International pressure on Burma's military government to
return the country to democracy will continue even though it has
freed opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi from house arrest,
diplomats said yesterday.

Burma's ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council [SLORC]
unexpectedly and unconditionally released the 50-year-old Nobel
Peace Prize-winner on Monday after six years of detention.

"We don't want to give them too much credit," a Rangoon -based
diplomat said. " We need to maintain pressure on them to continue
the dialogue."

Another diplomat said international pressure should continue to
be applied on Slorc because it appeared there was still a long
way to go for democracy's return to Burma.

"I don't think anyone assumes this is the end of the line," he
said." I think people are waiting, and the sentiment is still of
cautious optimism, with `cautious' being the key."

Diplomats and political analysts said Slorc must have felt
confident enough about Burma's internal stability to release Suu
Kyi.

She was put under arrest in July 1989 at her lakeside Rangoon
home for " endangering the state" by speaking out against the
military, which killed and imprisoned thousands while suppressing
a pro-democracy uprising in 1988.

"They knew there was an internal stability, and if they didn't
release her they would risk massive international outcry," a
diplomat said. "So on the balance between the domestic and
international situation they chose to release her.

"They felt sure they could be in control," he added.

The sense of security felt by Slorc about its hold on power was
shown the day after Suu Kyi was freed. Slorc allowed hundreds of
cheering supporters to crowd around her Rangoon home and let her
hold meetings with opposition colleagues.

But Slorc continues to maintain a domestic news blackout on Suu
Kyi's release. More than three days after her release, official
media had not reported the news.

Diplomats said the absence of uniformed soldiers or policemen in
front of her house after her release also signalled the
government did not fear an uprising.

" They felt no need to have an armed military presence, which is
a sign of their confidence," a diplomat said.

Foreign governments must continue to urge the military leaders to
hold dialogues, as promised, with Suu Kyi and other opposition
leaders to foster democracy, the diplomats said.

Suu Kyi said on Wednesday the opinion of the international
community was important and should not be ignored.

"The opinion of other countries, of the international community,
does matter, and I don't think anybody with any sense can really
ignore it, she said.

While democracy was on its way to Burma, supporters should not
expect too much to happen quickly, she warned.

Suu Kyi also urged foreign investors queuing up  to invest in
resource-rich Burma to study the situation carefully before
deciding whether the time was right.

"I want to study the situation much more carefully before I say
whether I truly believed that this is the right time for
investments in Burma," she told reporters.

Diplomats said it was now up to Slorc to take issues at hand
further.

"I think the ball is in Slorc's court. But it's vital that the
Slorc is flexible, because she says she is willing to compromise,
but they must also be willing to," a diplomat said. "It depends
on how much they want reconciliation ."

Most government have said they will watch how developments unfold
and take their cues from Suu Kyi before deciding whether to
resume or bolster relations with Burma.

AP and AFP reports from Washington say US Senator Mitch McConnel
has urged the US Congress to increase pressure for democratic
reform in Burma rather than back off with Suu Kyi's release.

The senator, who heads a key funding panel, said calls for the
resumptions of economic ties following the release on Monday were
"premature and ill-advised"

#In Hanoi, Vietnam has refused to comment on the release of Suu
Kyi, saying it was an internal matter for the government in
Rangoon.

===== item =====

~MEETINGS ALL DAY AS SUU KYI PRESSES ON
14.7.95/The Nation

RANGOON- Aung San Suu Kyi embarked on another day of dawn-to dusk
meetings yesterday, consulting with colleagues from the former
pro-democracy movement, meeting the press and seeing old friends
and supporters.

The Burmese opposition leader and her colleagues were looking to
jump-start their National League for Democracy [NLD] now that she
has been released from nearly six years of house arrest.

A steady parade of visitors to her family home on University
Avenue continued yesterday, and  a secretary described her
schedule as " very full" .

For the fourth consecutive day, Kyi Maung, an NLD member and
recently freed political prisoner, conferred with Suu Kyi, whose
lakeside compound has become a magnet for visiting journalists,
diplomats and well- wishers.

An AFP photographer allowed inside the compound during the
meeting with Kyi Maung yesterday said that the 50 year old
dissident , wearing traditional Burmese dress, appeared a little
nervous as he took her picture.

Outside, several dozen people waited patiently on the other side
of the metal gate. A handful of men in uniform lounged on the
edges of the small crowd that had gathered despite a morning
shower.

Aides to Suu Kyi were keeping lists of requests to see her. The
secretary said there were no plans for a press conference
yesterday, nor to talk to supporters gathered outside the gate
because of a heavy agenda.

But she did agree to meet some individual media representatives
during the day, scheduling them in 15 minute times slots.

She herself told reporters on Wednesday that she was "booked
solid" for the next two days, primarily with meetings with NLD
members.

She also said she would not leave the compound for several days,
even to pray at a pagoda, as she worked to catch up on events of
the last six years, and she and her NLD colleagues decided on how
to restart their drive for democracy in Burma.

Suu Kyi specifically warned people not to expect too much too
soon.

She was placed under house arrest in July 1989 for her opposition
to the military government. She was released on Monday in a
surprise move by the State Law and Order Restoration Council
[Slorc], as the junta is formally known.

Suu Kyi said she may have been freed because her term was up and
the Slorc could not legally hold her any longer, although she
said the importance of international public opinion could not be
discounted.

But analysts here held it was more likely she was released at
this time because the slorc felt it had things well in hand and
was acting from a position of strength.

They noted that the diminutive dissident could always be arrested
on new charges if she pushed too hard in her drive for democracy.

===== item =====

~OPEC IN SECOND $10 -MILLION LOAN TO RANGOON
14.7.95/The Nation

Rangoon - The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries has
extended a total of US $ 20 million in loans to Burma to upgrade
its commuter railway system, the New Light of Myanmar reported
yesterday.

Opec has made project loans to Burma worth US $ 59.5 million for
water supply, energy, education and transportation, the state-run
daily said.

The latest US$  10 million loan agreement was signed on July 7 at
Opec headquarters in Vienna by Burmese Planning and Development
Minister Brigadier General David Abel and Opec official Osama
Faquih, the paper said.

Opec extended a first loan of US$ 10 million in 1990 for the
first phast of the railway renovation, it added.

The latest loan would go towards purchasing materials and
equipment to repair seven locomotives and 19 passenger coaches as
well as for local assembly of 13 new coaches, the report said.

Western countries suspended assistance to Burma after the junta
crushed a nationwide-pro-democracy movement in 1988 and 1989.

===== item =====

~SUU KYI'S RELEASE "ONLY THE FIRST STEP" FOR BURMESE JUNTA
14/7/95
The Nation

THE release of Burma's pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi on
Monday is a step towards democratization, but other unresolved
issues still need to be tackled by Burmese leaders, Foreign
Ministry Spokesman Suvidhya Simasakul said yesterday.

Thailand applauds the release of Suu Kyi after six years of house
arrest although it regards the matter as a Burmese internal
affair.

"We are happy that Burma has taken such a positive step forward
and Asean countries welcome the decision by Burma's State Law and
Order Restoration Council," Suvidhya said.

It should be noted that Suu Kyi said in public, after her
release, that she was ready to talk with Slorc leaders in order
to work towards peace and prosperity, the spokesman said.

Thailand has always stated the importance of peace in Burma and
the region as a whole, he said adding that if the internal
problems there could be solved, both countries could enjoy mutual
benefits.

It was now up to Slorc, Suu Kyi and ethnic group leaders to try
to solve the country's internal unrest that was in existence long
before Suu Kyi was first arrested, he said.

Suvidhya said credit for the release should not solely be given
to Asean's constructive engagement policy, but also to Western
countries who have put continuous pressure on Burma over the
issue.

===== item =====

~ASEAN CLAIMS CREDIT FOR DECISION TO RELEASE SUU KYI
14.7.95/The Nation

Burma's release of democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi was heralded
by Southeast Asian nations this week as a vindication of Asean,'
constructive engagement policy.

However, Suu Kyi herself attributed her release to worldwide
pressure and urged foreign investors to study the situation
carefully before committing themselves to Burma.

Association of Southeast Asian Nations [Asean] ministers,
academics and diplomats agreed that by freeing her, Burma's
ruling generals appeared to be responding to Asean efforts to
maintain a dialogue with one of Asia's pariah governments.

"I think certainly the release responded to the pervasive effort
on the part of the Asean organization  to pursue constructive
engagement," said acting Thai foreign minister Surin Pitsuwan.

Burma's State Law and Order Restoration Council [Slorc] has faced
international condemnation since it took power in a bloody
crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in 1988 and placed Suu Kyi
under house arrest a year later.

But Asean, which groups Burma's neighbor Thailand with Malaysia,
Singapore, Brunei, the Philippines and Indonesia , has steered a
more cautious line, preferring to gently coax the impoverished
regime into relaxing political controls.

Indonesia Foreign Affairs Minister Ali-Alatas told a news
conference that political stability in Burma and said the Asean
should take some of the credit for its efforts to secure change.

"It is certainly a welcome development, a development that on the
one hand reflects the growing stability in Myanmar [Burma]
itself, but also reflects the way that Asean has tried to address
some of the questions relating to Myanmar through its so-called
constructive engagement policy," Alatas said.

Singapore predicted Asean's diplomatic policy towards the
military junta in Rangoon would encourage it to push ahead with
liberalization.

"Singapore continues to believe that Asean's policy of
constructive engagement with Myanmar [Burma's official name ]
will help encourage Slorc to continue to open its economy and
society and progress like the other countries of Southeast Asia,"
a Singapore foreign ministry spokesman said on Tuesday.

Academics and diplomats say the surprise release of Suu Kyi
boosted Asean's position before this month's Asean-hosted talks
with several western nations in Brunei.

Some US Congress, however, are moving to increase pressure for
democratic reform in Burma rather than back off in the wake of
Suu Kyi release .

Sen Mitch McConnell, the Kentucky Republican, said he will go
ahead with tough legislation he planned prior to Monday's
release. He announced a hearing on Burma July 25.

McConnell's bill would ban US trade with Burma unless all
political prisoners are released, power is transferred to elected
opposition leaders and progress is made against drug trafficking.
It would also prohibit aid to any country that provides arms or
nonhumanitarian aid to the military regime in Rangoon.

===== item =====

~SUU KYI STILL MOVES THE HEARTS OF THE BURMESE
The Nation/Article/15.7.95

  The release on Monday of pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi
            has injected new hope into the Burmese struggle.

         Yindee Lertcharoenchok writes on the latest political
                      development in that country.

After nearly six years of house arrest, Burma's opposition leader
Aung San Suu Kyi triumphantly emerged this week to declare to the
cheering world that her resolve and commitment to pursue the non-
violent struggle for democracy and human rights have never been
weakened by the unlawful incarceration and nerve-breaking
separation from her beloved family.

More joyful was her discovery that the Burmese people whom she
has devoted her life to, are as determined as ever to fight along
with her despite years of severe crackdown and repressive laws
imposed by the country's military junta known as the State Law
and Order Restoration Council (Slorc).

The unwavering popular support and love given to the 1991 Nobel
Peace laureate, evident this week in Rangoon and across the
globe, are clearly indicative that Slorc's unsparing efforts over
the years to erase Suu Kyi from the people's minds were futile.

But sensing the persuasive power and the gift of communication
she has with the Burmese people, amidst the possibility of a
backlash from the Slorc, Suu Kyi immediately pleaded with them to
pursue their cause with "patience and courage."

"You must have patience and courage, and control yourselves," is
the message she repeats at every given opportunity to crowds of
supporters who gather everyday at the front gate of her
residential compound on University Avenue. The courageous
daughter of Burma's independence hero Aung San is still as
popular as ever.

The Slorc on Monday surprised the world with its unexpected
decision to release the 50-year old political figure. Considering
the military junta's past records, many believe Suu Kyi's release
was well calculated with time and not taken without hidden
motives.

Suu Kyi, who expressed no surprise that the Slorc has completely
blacked-out her release from local media, simply said, "I think
they thought probably this is the right time because I should
have been released three years ago. They changed the law. I
should have been released last year but interpretation of the law
has been changed to hold me further."

"They would have had to change the law again to hold me further.
Legally this is the right time," she said.

The charismatic leader, whose selfless personal sacrifice has
been a ray of hope and political inspiration for the peace-loving
Burmese people, said she "must work out which I think is the
right answer" but believes that "international opinion always
counts."

While Burmese opposition movements and diplomats believe that the
Slorc ceded to international pressure, Asean capitals were quick
to claim that their controversial "constructive engagement"
policy played a key role in securing Suu Kyi's freedom.

Burma watchers point to the combination of both pressure and
upcoming international events as important factors for the
regime's change of heart. Possible tougher measures and
condemnation from western countries including a pending US
economic sanction bill, and the likelihood of the Clinton
Administration downgrading its diplomatic relations with Burma to
support its arguments, were all cited by the observers.

Besides these, the Slorc delegation which is due to attend the
upcoming Asean Ministerial Meeting later this month, would have
been grilled by the regional grouping's Western dialogue
partners. The United Nations, where the Slorc still occupies
Burma's seat, was even contemplating a strongly-worded diplomatic
statement against Suu Kyi's prolonged imprisonment.

But Asean, as always, has attributed the move and other
"positive" political developments in Burma to the policy of
"constructive engagement," which, they claim, is aimed at
encouraging the Slorc to engage in dialogues with the world
community. Critics, however, argue that the Asean policy was
devised to allow the regional grouping to economically exploit
the rich natural resources of the Southeast Asian nation.

Interestingly, a number of western envoys and diplomats have been
visiting Suu Kyi's home since Tuesday, joining the waves of well-
wishers, the opposition leader's political colleagues and
supporters, and hordes of local and foreign journalists.

"Diplomats from Burma's neighbouring countries were conspicuously
absent," noted a member of diplomatic corp, who was present at
Suu Kyi's news conference. The diplomat did not name the
countries.

"Most diplomats were impressed by her patience and self-
composure, despite the fact that she had less than 24 hours to
prepare herself for this [press conference], she still behaved
[conducted the interviews and meetings] like a head of state,"
commented the same diplomat.

At the height of the 1988 nationwide pro-democracy uprisings in
Burma, while European envoys flocked to Suu Kyi's house to
consult with her and other politicians of their political views
and agendas, those from China, Laos, Thailand and other Asean
member states ignored and shunned contacts with Suu Kyi. Instead,
they belittled her in the same manner as the military rulers,
saying she had no proper understanding of Burmese politics, as
she had lived most of her life abroad and is married to a
foreigner. They also questioned her popularity among the Burmese
people.

Some analysts in Thailand who have been closely monitoring the
evolving political scenario in Burma, however, have ruled out
external factors saying the Slorc has "an unbroken record" of
never bowing to public international pressure or threat. Instead,
they say, the regime with a devious hand has been able to twist-
and-turn domestic affairs and international events to suit their
own will and agenda.

The analysts who include some Thai intelligence officers believe
that the Slorc has, over the years, grown militarily stronger.
They believe the military junta has the confidence it has the
domestic situation very much under control.

In fact they argue, Suu Kyi's freedom has automatically averted,
at least for the time being, mounting international outcry and
the planned tough actions against the regime.

"The Slorc, in fact, has more to gain than lose from the release
which was well timed, taking into account both domestic and
international factors. Once again the Slorc is going to score
some marks and also get away with it." said one officer.

Several analysts and diplomats shared the views that Suu Kyi
appears to avoid  making "any confrontational remarks or direct
attacks" against her captor and has cultivated a "more
conciliatory tone" in calling both the ruling military junta and
political activists as well as the Burmese people of all ethnic
nationalities to reconcile and work out through dialogues, their
objectives of peace, democracy and human rights.

The officer even interpreted her latest statement, which usually
carry and convey hidden messages to wider public, as "tacit or de
facto agreement" between the two political antagonists to avoid
any confrontation which could once again plunge the country into
turmoil and violence.

Despite her long absence from the public scene, Suu Kyi has
neither strayed from her basic beliefs and principle nor been
unrealistic to the changing political scenes at home and abroad.
Her public remarks after the release echo the message she gave in
January during her six-year incarceration.

" There has not been and there will not be any secret deals with
regard either to my release or to any other issue. I adhere to
the principle of accountability and consider  myself at all times
bound by the democratic duty to act in consultation with
colleagues and to be guided by the aspirations of those engaged
in the movement to establish a truly democratic political system
in Burma. I remain dedicated to an active participation in this
movement."

True to her words, Suu Kyi, immediately after her freedom, asked
for a period of one to two weeks to study the overall situation
and to consult with her political colleagues before deciding on
her next move.

Her daily schedules have been fully booked with meeting
appointments with the elders and fellow politicians from mainly
the party she co-founded, the National League for Democracy
[NLD]. Her tight schedules are interrupted only by media
interviews, guest visits and her brief ventures to greet, across
from the front gate, incessant waves of well wishers and
supporters who long to see her in person.

Despite the apparent "political freedom" in Rangoon for the past
few days, activists fear that the honeymoon between Suu Kyi and
the SLORC might soon be over. The military junta they point out
could reinforce its tight grip again through various military
laws. Pro-democracy activists are cautioning the people saying
the struggle is far from over and the path to achieving their
goals and objectives is still a long and difficult one.

The people on the other hand are watching with awe and concern as
to how long and how far the Slorc will continue to tolerate Suu
Kyi's courage in speaking out her mind and her frank opinions
about the Burmese political situation .

"There is always the danger. The way is not going to be all
smooth. I would like to warn my supporters not to expect too much
too quick," she told reporters at her residence. "As long as we
have a will and as long as we go about it intelligently we will
get there."

Suu Kyi also warns members of the international community
especially the fiercely competitive business sector against
rushing into Burma. "It is the word rush I object to. I think
you've got to study the situation much more carefully," she told
the BBC in an interview.

Despite Suu Kyi's freedom, exiled Burmese dissidents and
politicians have urged the would community to keep up its
pressure for further progress on democratization and human rights
in Burma. Suu Kyi, they said, is still restricted to conduct
political activities and moreover the Slorc is devising laws and
a Constitution to ban her from any future political role.

Bo Hla Tint, minister in charge of foreign affairs of the exiled
NLD government, said in an interview from Washington DC that the
pressure should continue in order to force the Slorc to engage in
"substantial political dialogues"  with Suu Kyi. The Burmese
opposition leader had indicated her willingness many times, on a
dialogue with the military junta.

She expressed hope that similar dialogues among all parties
concerned would take place to resolve the country's decades-long
political turmoil and ethnic conflicts and said she is working
out a list of about 40 well known political detainees still in
prison .

Suu Kyi, the national politician, whose unwavering efforts in
non-violent struggle to bring about peace, democracy and human
rights through peaceful dialogues and national reconciliation has
won her numerous would acclaimed awards and prizes, said both the
Slorc and the Burmese people share the same political objective,
"to return power to the people."

But despite SLORC leader Gen Than Shwe's request for her "to help
towards achieving peace and stability in the country" the regime
has yet to show signs of political goodwill and readiness to
engage her and other parties concerned in dialogues on national
reconciliation .

She never ruled lout the military's future role and as she once
mentioned " I feel strong attachment for the armed forces. Not
only were they built up by my father, as a child I was cared for
by his soldiers.... May I appeal to the armed forces to become a
force in which the people can place their trust and reliance? May
the armed forces become one which will uphold the honour and
dignity of our country."

Perhaps the informidable political strength and force in Suu Kyi
enables her win the hearts of the wider populace as well as
members of the armed forces who jointly and wholeheartedly voted
for her NLD party in the 1990 May general election.

Her inspirational public statements have injected new life into
the sagging morale of the Burmese, at home and abroad, who
believe that the people's rights and justice will prevail. There
is a window of opportunity now for the Slorc to respond to
overtures for national reconciliation in Burma. The world is
watching very closely how the junta will react in the next few
weeks.

===== item =====

~THAILAND WOULD "MORE THAN" WELCOME BURMA INTO ASEAN
The Nation/15.7.95

Thailand said yesterday it would "more than" welcome Burma's
joining Asean, saying Burma's proposed accession to the group's
Treaty of Amity and Cooperation was a step toward a 10-member
Asean.

Foreign minister spokesman Suvidhya Simasakul said he understood
that Burma had informed this year's Asean chairman, Brunei's
foreign minister Prince Bolkiah, of its wish to sign the treaty.

Accession to the 1976 Asean treaty is a prerequisite for joining
the six-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

"Thailand regards Burma's move as a positive sign for regional
peace and prosperity," Suvidhya said.

He said Thailand began to encourage Burma to join Asean when
Thanat Khoman was foreign minister.

Asean senior officials will discuss Burma's approach when they
meet in preparation for the Asean meeting in July, according to
Suvidhya.

A Bangkok-based Asean diplomat meanwhile said the Burmese
ambassador to Jakarta had informed Asean Secretary General Ajit
Singh a few weeks ago of Burma's intention to sign the treaty.

"I don't think Burma wants only to probe the possibility, but it
is willing to do so," said the diplomat, who asked not to be
named.

This is a good thing that Asean will not deny. This indicates
that Burma is willing to take on a certain commitment."

Prior to his attendance at Asean's annual meeting last year,
Burmese Foreign Minister U Ong Gyaw said Burma was interested in
joining Asean but would need time to study process.

Suvidhya said, "Thailand has long wished that all 10 southeast
Asian countries would join the grouping, which could then be
called the Asean 10. Rangoon's willingness to participate in
Asean is an important development which could bring Asean 10 into
reality."

Asean now comprises Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines,
Singapore and Thailand. Vietnam, now an Asean observer, will
become the seventh Asean member at the July meeting in Brunei,
while Cambodia will become an observer.

Burma will also attend the annual meeting as guest of the host
country. It will be the second time the country has participated
in an Asean meeting, after attending the meeting in Bangkok last
year.

According to Suvidhya, Rangoon's willingness to sign the treaty
clearly shows that it is prepared to comply with the principles
envisaged in the treaty, which include non-interference in
international affairs, non-aggression, non-use of force against
other Southeast Asian States, and adopting peaceful means for
solving problems.

However, he said it was unlikely that Asean could obtain a
consensus on Burma in time for its accession to the treaty at the
upcoming Asean ministerial meetings starting on July 29.

===== item =====

~TROUBLED THAI-BURMESE TIES NEED REVIEW
The Nation/15.7.95

Reuter

The new Thai government needs to review its troubled relation
with Burma and boost economic links with Rangoon following the
release of top Burmese dissident Aung San Suu Kyi, a research
group said yesterday.

Problems arising from Burma's military campaigns against ethnic
minorities living in the border areas, closure of some border
check points, a campaign to boycott the Thai goods and halting of
work on a border bridge have all disrupted relations, Thai-
Farmers Research Centre said in a study.

But bilateral commerce and investments have been growing despite
all this and new Prime Minister Baharn Silpa-archa should move to
resolve these disputes to take advantage of Burma's strategic
location, it added.

"The new government of Thailand has to face the important issue
of foreign policy to rapidly ease problems and misunderstandings
with Burma," it said.

Aung San Suu Kyi was unexpectedly released by the Burmese
military government on Monday after six years under house arrest.

In an interview on Wednesday she urged foreign firms rushing to
do business in her country to study the situation before deciding
whether the time was right for investment.

Thai-farmers said resource-rich Burma had been liberalizing its
centralized its system since late 1988 and was now looking for
foreign investments, which provided opportunities for Thailand.

Thailand recorded a trade surplus of Bt 595 million(USS24
million) with Burma in the first quarter of this year and its
exports to Burma last year increased sharply in value to Bt6
billion ($240 million)against Bt 3.9 billion($ 156 million) in
1993.

In main exports to Burma were chemical products, rubber,
plastics, textile and fibres.

Thailand was the second largest investors in Burma after
Singapore with 23 projects valued at $ 265 million at the end of
1994, Thai farmers said.

<END>