PRESS RELEASE OF DAW AUNG SAN SUU K

Subject: PRESS RELEASE OF DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI ON 11.7.95 AT 1:00PM IN HER HOME

Suu Kyi Calls for reconciliation and changes through dialogue
Bkk Post/12.7.95

Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who was freed from
house arrest on Monday, read the following statement at a news
conference yesterday attended by visiting and local journalists
and resident diplomats.

The Statement, in English, was transcribed from a tape.

"The official information of the end of my house arrest was
conveyed to me verbally by Colonel Kyaw Win (Deputy Chief of
military Intelligence) in the form of message from Senior General
Than Shwe which was kind and cordial.

"There were three points to the message apart from the ending of
the house arrest:

"First, the authorities would be happy to help me in matters of
personal welfare.

"Second if I wish, the authorities would continue to take care of
security arrangements in the house, and thirdly, he would like me
to help towards achieving peace and democracy in the country.

"First of all, I would like to say that I appreciate deeply both
the tone and content of the message. I've always believed that
the future stability and happiness of our nation depends
entirely on the readiness of all parties to work for
reconciliation.

"During the years that I spent under house arrest, many parts of
the world have undergone almost unbelievable change, and all the
changes for the better were brought about through dialogue.

"So dialogue has been undoubtedly the key to a happy resolution
of long festering problems.

"once bitter enemies in South Africa are now working together for
the betterment of their people. Why can't we look forward to a
similar process?

"We have to choose between dialogue or utter devastation. I would
like to believe that the human instinct for survival alone, if
nothing else, would eventually lead us to prefer dialogue.

"You will ask, what are we going to talk about once we reach the
negotiation table?

"The establishment of certain principles, recognition of critical
objects to be achieved and joint approaches to the ills besetting
the country would be the main items on the agenda.

"Extreme view points are not confined to any particular group and
it is the responsibility of the leaders to control such elements
that threaten the spirit of reconciliation.

"There is more in common between the authorities and we of the
democratic forces in Burma than existed between the black and
white peoples of south Africa.

"The majority of the people of Burma believe in the market
economy and in democracy which we amply prove by the results of
the general elections of 1990.

"Those of you who read the Burmese newspapers will know that it
is the aim of the State law and Order Restoration Council to
return power to the people. This is exactly our aim also.

"I would like to take the opportunity to urge the authorities to
release those of us who still remain in prison.

"I am happy to be able to say that in spite of all that they have
undergone, the forces of democracy remain strong and dedicated.

"I, on my part, bear no resentment towards anybody for anything
that happened to me during the past six years."

Suu Kyi: forces of democracy remain strong
The Nation/12.7.95

Suu Kyi: The aim of the State Law and Order Restoration
Council(Slorc) is to return the power to the people. This is
exactly our aim as well. I would like to take this opportunity to
urge the authorities to release those of us who still remain in
prison. I am happy to say that in spite of all that they have
undergone, the forces for democracy remain strong and dedicated.
Then to strengthen my resolve. It is not the most adjective
statement in the world, but at least you will have lots of times
to ask me questions, but we all  have to observe strict
discipline. Hands up for questions one by one.

What are your future and immediate plans?

The immediate is to conduct this press conference in as orderly a
way as possible.

Are there any restrictions at all?

They [the Slorc] would like me to help towards achieving peace
and stability in the nation.

Did you have any hint that this was going to happen?

Well, I suppose I could say I knew about it at one o'clock on the
10th. I knew it would happen.

How did you know?

Because my usual ...... officer came to see me. Well to tell the
truth. I thought I would be released around the first week of
August, I thought the authorities would wait for people to report
that I had been released and then suddenly release me. But
obviously I was wrong, and I am very grateful to the authorities
that they have observed the law strictly in this matter. The law
as it is.

Have you had any chance to talk with your husband?

No, not at all. I don't have a telephone in the house.

And what is the way forward when you join the constitutional
convention? Do you have any plans along those lines?

Well, the way forward is to first find out what has been going on
outside and what is that our forces for democracy have agreed,
what they want to do. Remember, I am not a dictator. I am a
member of a group of people working for democracy. I have to
consider other people's opinions.

Power to the people?

That is what we always said in the slogans that you see in the
papers.

How will you get them to do that?

Well, this is their intention and we intend to help them in every
way that we can to return power to the people. This is not only
my intention. It is the intention of everybody who wants
democracy, and it is obviously the intention of the Slorc. We can
read it everyday in the Burmese newspapers.

Well will you soon start your political activities soon?

Well, is this a political activity?

Well you engage in a public rallies, or anything like that?

As I told you, I have to take thing step by step. But this is a
very big step.

Can you tell us something about the meeting with the authorities?

Now, both the authorities and I agreed that details could not be
released without the agreement of both parties concerned. So, I
will not talk about details of the meeting, but I would like to
say that, really, there was no hostility at the meeting. It made
me very cautious that it would be possible in the future to have
very, very much more meaningful dialogue than we have had in the
past.

There are hundreds of people outside waiting. They want to see
you. Do you have any thoughts of going out to see them?

Well, after thinking about that, I think we will have to do
something. I must consult my elders who know what the situation
is like out there.

Will there be a dialogue with all parties in Burma?

I hope so. That is what I have always asked for, a dialogue
between all the parties concerned.

Who have you met with so far, the top leaders of the NLD?

Well, yes.

What were you talking about?

What we are talking about? I really would like to know!

What do you think about the National Convention to draft the
constitution?

It is  supposed to be a National Convention, and a National
Convention means that all forces in the nation are involved, and
what we would like to see it as a true national one, and we
should work together.

Are there any thoughts for an election? What is their [ the
Slorc's ] idea of accepting or not accepting the election? Is
there a possibility of them accepting the results of the
election?

Well, you know, the elections took place in 1990. This is now
1995. What is most important about the elections was that clearly
they reflected the will of the people, and that I think, is what
we have to keep our minds on. We may have lost six years, but we
must continue to respect the will of the people but in a way that
is acceptable to all those who can truly work for stability and
the people of nation.

Have you met with Gen Than Shwe and Lt Gen Khin Nyunt? Could you
tell us what you thought of the two men and can you work with
them?

Sorry? Did I talk with the two men?

Could you work with Lt Gen Khin Nyunt and Gen Than Shwe?

I could work with anybody. Why not.

Could you tell us what you thought of the two men?

I thought that Gen Than Shwe by nature is very honest and
straightforward, and Gen Khin Nyunt I found rather charming. Most
of these people are very charming.

Has this time changed anything about any of your goals or
objectives in any way?

This has not changed my basic objective at all, but I hope that
it has changed because it would be a pity if it hasn't changed me
at all. It would be a waste of six years of my life. I hope it
has changed for the better.

Are you going to stay in Burma?

Of course.

Typed by the Research Department of the ABSDF(MTZ)