Daw Aung San Suu Kyi Releases Press

Here's the statement from Daw Aung San Suu Kyi who said Senior General
Than Shwe has, among others, promised to "help towards achieving peace
and stability in the country."

//Begin text as received//

Statement of
DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI
JULY 11, 1995

one o'clock in the afternoon
54 University Avenue

The official intimation of the end of my house arrest was conveyed to me verbally by Col.
Kyaw Win in the form of a message from Sr. Gen. Than Shwe which was kind and cordial.
There were three points to the message apart from the ending of my house arrest; (1) they
would be happy to help me in matters of personal welfare; (2) if I wished, the authorities
would continue to take care of security arrangements; and (3) he would like me to help
towards achieving peace and stability in the country.

First of all, I would like to say I appreciate deeply both the tone and content of the
message.  I have always believed that the future stability and happiness of our nation
depends entirely on the readiness of all parties to work for reconciliation.

During the years that I spent under house arrest, many parts of the world have undergone
almost unbelievable change.  And all changes for the better were brought about through
dialogue.  So dialogue has been undoubtedly the key to to a happy resolution of long-
festering problems.  Once bitter enemies in South Africa are now working together for the
betterment of their peoples.  Why can't we look forward to a similar process?  We have to
choose between dialogue or utter devastation.  I would like to believe that the human
instinct for survival alone, if nothing else, would eventually lead all of us to prefer
dialogue.

Your may ask what are we going to talk about once we reach the negotiation table.
Establishment of certain principles?  Recognition of critical objectives to be achieved?
Joint approaches to the ills besetting the country would be the main items on the agenda.

Extreme viewpoints are not confined to any particular group, and it is the responsibility of
the leaders to control such elements as threaten the spirit of conciliation.  There is more in
common between the authorities and we of the democratic forces than existed between the
black and white people of South Africa.  The majority of the people of Burma believe in
the market economy and democracy, as was amply proved by the results of the elections
of 1990. Those of you who read the Burmese papers will know that it is the aim of the
SLORC to return power to the people.  This is exactly our aim as well.

I would like to take this opportunity to urge the authorities to release those of us who still
remain in prison.  I am happy to be able to say that in spite of all that they have undergone,
the forces of democracy in Burma remain strong and dedicated.  I on my part bear no
resentment towards anybody for anything that happened during the last six years.

This statement can only end in one way:  with an expression of sincere thanks to people all
over the world and especially to my countrymen who have done so much to strengthen my
resolve and to effect my release.

//End Text//