Aung San Suu Kyi *IS* Free! (2 of 3

Subject: Aung San Suu Kyi *IS* Free! (2 of 3)

Also From REUTER:

     WASHINGTON, July 10 (Reuter) - President Bill Clinton on Monday welcomed the release
of Burmese Nobel peace prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi after almost six years under house
arrest.
     The White House said in a statement that Clinton was gratified by the release and hoped
she would be able to participate freely in political reconciliation in Burma leading to the
installation of a democratically-elected government.
     But it said that "even while welcoming her release, President Clinton expressed concern
about a number of serious and unresolved human rights problems in Burma."
     It cited the continued detention of other political prisoners, the failure to allow the
International Red Cross to visit prisoners and continuing military campaigns against ethnic
minorities.
     The State Department said it hoped Aung San Suu Kyi's release signalled "the Burmese
government's commitment to free all political prisoners and engage in a genuine political
dialogue with all political forces in Burma."
     Before improving ties with Rangoon, Washington wanted to be sure there was "a genuine
effort to try to improve the political situation in Burma, and to permit a much greater measure
of political expression," spokesman Nicholas Burns said.
     "We're just not quite sure of any strings that might be attached to this particular release or if
in fact there are some conditions that may been applied to her actions after having been
released," Burns told a news briefing.
     "I think it's important we hear from her and we satisfy ourselves through our embassy in
Rangoon to the specifics of this particular case."
     A U.S. congressman who was the first foreigner to visit Aung San Suu Kyi during her
detention said on Monday he was surprised and pleased by her release.
     "I am enormously pleased and surprised by her release. When I went to Burma two weeks
ago every expectation was that she would be detained indefinitely," New Mexico Democrat
Bill Richardson told Reuters.
     Richardson, who visited Aung San Suu Kyi in February last year but was denied access
last month, said the move was a step in the right direction and deserved credit. He said he
hoped it would lead to more steps towards democracy in Burma.
     "I think the significance is that Aung San Suu Kyi can now take her rightful role as the leader
of the pro-democracy movement in Burma since she was released unconditionally," he said.
     In the Senate, Republican Mitch McConnell of Kentucky also welcomed her release but
said it would not alter his plans to offer sanctions legislation on Tuesday.
     "In my view, it is more important than ever to keep the pressure on the SLORC regime to
fully implement the 1990 election results," McConnell said in a statement, referring to Burma's
ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC).
     The 1990 elections were won by the main opposition party but the military rulers refused to
hand over power.
     Richardson said the United States in future should seek to engage rather than isolate
Burma, but Rangoon must take steps including allowing International Red Cross prison visits
and releasing thousands of other political prisoners.
     "This is a welcome first step," he said.
  REUTER