NCGUB STATEMENT ON RELEASE OF DAW A

N A T I O N A L   C O A L I T I O N   G O V E R N M E N T
 		  INFORMATION OFFICE
	   815 Fifteenth Street NW Suite  910
   (202)393-7342  (202) 393-4312   Fax: (202) 393-7343

		     July 10, 1995
    STATEMENT ON THE RELEASE OF DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI

We join the whole Burmese nation in welcoming the "unconditional"
release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi by the SLORC military junta.  Many
human rights organizations, democracy advocates, religious institutions
and individuals, all of whom we consider friends of Burma, have worked
tirelessly to gain her freedom.  To all our friends, we say  thank you.
Without your concerted efforts and pressure the release would never
have come about.

We also wish to acknowledge the efforts of the United Nations and the
international community who has repeatedly called for the release of
our leader.  Even though we are all in agreement that Daw Suu's release
is something to rejoice about, we remain cautious because our struggle
for democracy and freedom has yet to be realized.

Our past experience in dealing with the military generals has always,
unfortunately, been bitter.  We urge the generals to place the interests
of the nation first and to show genuine goodwill in trying to find a
solution to the problems of the country.

Daw Suu's release should not simply be the granting of her freedom
because her detention was illegal in the first place.  Her release should
be followed by a national reconciliation process that will lead to the
establishment of a democratic, free, peaceful and united Burma governed
by civilian rule as elected in 1990 by people of Burma.

				oo00oo