Stop the Flame - More

[anonymity requested]
Forgive me for interrupting in this debate, but since it is
happening on my computer screen, I would like to give it
some perspective.

Let us imagine that there is, on the Internet, a very highly
organized, extremely well-run, newsgroup named ThaiNet.

Let us further imagine that the Thai government has just
unleashed a horrific pogrom against Burmese, many of
them refugees and immigrants, in Thailand. Many innocent
women, men and children are slaughtered in their beds,
tortured, captured and abused, and many others are driven
out of the country. This pogram is, furthermore, part of a
pattern of persecution of people of Burmese origin in
Thailand. Finally -- to my mind, a detail -- many of the
innocent victims are Thai nationals or have lived in
Thailand for generations, even centuries.

Can anyone on this network seriously maintain that
discussion of this horrific pogrom should be excluded from
our fictional Thai Net, because the victims are allegedly not
Thai? That if it happened in America, it should be excluded
from newsgroups about American politics, because the
victims are allegedly not really American?

>From the tone of some of the discussions of this point, not
only were the victims of the anti-Chinese riots not really
Burmese -- they were barely even human. I am dismayed
by the egregious racism displayed by so many users of this
newsgroup -- all of whom, allegedly, are so deeply
attached to the manifestly empty ideals of democracy and
inclusiveness. As indiviuals, your struggle seems a great
deal less glorious, I must say.

>>> <TMYINT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 22:57 pmSunday,
July 9, 1995 >>>
Subject: Re: Statement On 33rd Anniv. of July 7th- Mr.
Aye Naing

aye naing <anaing@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Subject: Re: Statement On 33rd Anniversary of July 7th
(NLD & ABSL)

  => This is Burmanet. News and statements are
Burma-focus materials.  If
=> you want to read the pride of Chinese, go to Chinanet
and post there.  => If you love too much to your fellow
native Chinese, why don't you go
  >How do you know that Mr. Kay is a native Chinese?
Did that riot happen
>in China or Burma. Why is it not relevent to Burmanet.

	Did I say that CB riot was not relevant to Burmanet?
   >Mr. Tun Myint
  >I don't know what is with you, every time on the subject
of chinese-burmese
>in Burma, everything you claim to be fighting for is out of
your system.

	If you can think what the matter with Mr. K. Kay is
concerning not  mentioning about 1967 Burmese-Chinese
riot in the statement of 33rd anniv of  July 7th, then you
will know what I did up to.

	{...deleted...}

  >Aye Naing
	Thanks for leting me clear up.