Statement on 33rd Anniversary of Bl

Subject: Statement on 33rd Anniversary of Bloody July 7th(NLD-youth & ABSL-Thailand)

         NLD (youth)                                  ABSL(Thailand)

            Statement on 33rd Anniversary of Bloody July 7th

                                                       Date: July 7, 1995

Burma's politics have turned to that of military dictatorship, since Gen Ne
Win seized state powers on March 2, 1962. Many students have been massacred by
the military on July 7, 1962 for opposing the authoritarian rule.

Not satisfied with the killing of unarmed students, Ne Win had threaten the
populace saying "knife for knife and baton for baton", a challenge in fact.

The horrified military, intimidated by students protests, began to commit
compounded criminal acts, demolition of Students Union Building, on July 8,
1962, one amongst many, a symbol of anti-colonialism, anti-authoritarianism
and national freedom movements. The role of the students braving the
authoritarianism since 1969(Peninsula Games), 1974 (U Thants Funeral),
1987(Demonetization of Major currency Notes) till to 1988(prodemocracy
movements have been chronicled in the pages of Burma's history and beyond in
the midst of the global community. Non-existent in all the annals of world
history is Burma's students Army(All Burma Students' Democratic Front), the
role it play, at present, is still held in great esteem and impetus.

In the same vein of our ancestral brother students of yore, we, the new 88
Generation students will keep alive the trail of past event, marked and backed
by sweat and blood of the students of past decades and duly also.

Since 1962 and till to this day of SLORC military oppressed rule in Burma,
freedom, justice, and peace are non-existent and only oppressions via arms,
decrees and peremptory measures are rampant.

It is here by, urged that the international community professing democracy and
like-minded democratic countries should pose political, economic, diplomatic,
and trade sanctions to bear pressure on SLORC oligarchy for Burma's democracy,
in a way.

Basing on history-orientated conviction, we publicise this statement, that, on
this day of July 7, 1995, we are on a march toward a democratic goal, of
unoppressed and equality, as anticipated and envisioned by the people of
Burma.

National League for Democracy(NLD) Youth      All Burma Students League (ABSL)
            Thailand                                   Thailand