Birthday Wish for a National Leader

	N A T I O N A L    C O A L I T I O N    G O V E R N M E N T
		 	U N I O N   O F   B U R M A
			Washington, DC Information Office
	815 Fifteenth Street, NW, Suite 910, Washington, DC 20005
	Tel: (202) 393 7342   (202) 393 4312,  Fax:  (202) 393 7343
			 	----------------

			   	 June 19, 1995

	A Birthday Wish for National Leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

Dear Daw Suu,

On this auspicious occasion of your 50th birthday, we join the whole nation
and the international community in wishing you the best of health and all the
happiness. We, the elected representatives of the people, who firmly stand by
your principles to place the interests and the well-being of the people above
the others, are confident that your goal to fulfill the aspirations of the
people of all nationalities to build Burma into a democratic, free and
prosperous nation will be achieved soon.

Dear Daw Suu:
People who care about justice and fairness all over the world have been working
for your release and for the restoration of democracy and human rights in Burma
and great progress has been made in many areas toward these goals.  The Burmese
people are indebted to such well-meaning individuals, organizations, and nations.

We agree with you completely, when you said ".. it is only through meaningful
dialogue between diverse political forces that we can achieve national
reconciliation, which is the first and most vital requisite for a united and
prosperous country."  We are therefore working with the international community
to try and implement Clause 5 of the UNGA resolution of December 1994 which calls
on the military junta for "a substantive political dialogue with Aung San Suu Kyi
and other political leaders, including representatives from ethnic groups, as the
best means of promoting national reconciliation and the full and early restoration
of democracy."  We hope to achieve this end with full cooperation from the
international community.

Dear Daw Suu:
The military junta has meanwhile indicated that you will continue to be kept under
house arrest until there is "tranquillity" in the country.  Even though the order
issued by the ruling military junta itself says that you must be released on July
11, the generals still fear the support you have from the people. They no longer
show any signs of "flexibility" because they can no longer pretend to be what they
are not. They have gone back to their innate way of thinking -- similar to the one
that made them shoot and kill thousands of people to retain the power.

Dear Daw Suu:
Even with such negative developments and ongoing repressive conditions in the
country, there are still people who blindly believe that these generals will
ultimately bring democracy to Burma if given enough rewards.  Experience has shown
that this kind of thinking is utterly wrong, that appeasement has only served to
prolong the suffering of the 44 million people in Burma and strengthened the hands
of the generals who rule the country by brute force.  We are convinced that it is
time for the international community, particularly the neighboring countries to
Burma, to show responsibility and to stop exploiting the situation for selfish
interests.

Dear Daw Suu:
Knowing you, we will not be making any special appeal for you personally on this
auspicious occasion.  However, for the sake of justice and the people of all
nationalities in the country, we are calling on the international community to
show its moral courage in doing what is right;  we call on them to collectively
impose sanctions against the repressive regime until it abides by the UNGA
resolution.

				oo0oo