MORE THAN 4,500 LEFT HOMELESS IN BU

Subject: RE: MORE THAN 4,500 LEFT HOMELESS IN BURMA BLAZE

 >From: btf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Barton Shulman)
 >Newsgroups: soc.culture.burma
 >Subject: MORE THAN 4,500 LEFT HOMELESS IN BURMA BLAZE
 >Date: 1 May 1995 17:19:45 GMT

 >MORE THAN 4,500 LEFT HOMELESS IN BURMA BLAZE
 >    RANGOON, Burma (Reuter) - More than 4,500 people were left
 >homeless when fire swept through a neighborhood in the central
 >Burmese town of Pegu, the state media reported Saturday.
                   .
                   .
                   .
 >     A total of 745 houses were destroyed and 4,558 people left
 >homeless in the fire Thursday. The reports did not say how the
 >fire started in the town 45 miles northeast of Rangoon, nor were
 >there any reports of deaths or injuries.

I understand from talking with other burmese that fire usually break
out right before the time of audit to cover up their (employees)
selling of goods to blackmarket. I understand setting fire is
a standard procedure, belive it or not. The loss is, of course,
the innocent public.

Does anyone want to comment on it?

Ct