1992: A LETTER TO HUMAN RIGHTS ACTI

Subject: 1992: A LETTER TO HUMAN RIGHTS ACTIVIST

/* Written Apr 27 08:35am 1995 by uneoo@physics. adelaide.edu.au
in igc:reg.burma */
/* -----------" 1992: A Letter to Human Rights Activist "------ */

Following is a letter, which is also my first human rights activity
in Australia,to a prominenet human rights activist in Australia,The
Hon. Justice Marcus Einfeld. I wrote to him in connection with  his
AUSTCARE  report  on  Burmese  refugee  situation in Bangladesh and
Thailand in 17 June 1992.(&He was kind enough to reply my letter!).

At that time, there seems to be a lot of obscured  and  non-factual
perception  about  Burmese  people  and  Burma. I remember seeing a
report  which  described  Burmese  society  -like  Indians'  -   is
ingrained with the `caste system': which totally shocked me. On the
one  hand,  no  Burmese  of dated views on Burma really speaks out,
except expatriates who already  are  in  Australia  since  mid-60s,
about  what Burma's political system and Burma's situations - which
causing a lack  of updated situation within Burma. There were a lot
of confusions among outside observers, especially the  journalists,
on  the  issues  of  the  ethnic minorities'  revolts  and  SLORC's
deliberate persecution of Rohingyas; and about those of   political
struggles by Burmese students and NLD.

The  use  of  racial  division  and  hatred  as  a  mean to support
political power is long established since British  time.  When  the
British  left Burma, these xenophobic leaders continue  to practice
such  methods from their British  Masters  whenever  needs  arises.

Clearly,  the  persecution  on Rohingyas in 1991-92 was politically
motivated. At a time  there  was   big   political   fight  between
NCGUB+DAB  and SLORC. The NCGUB at that time was quite  serious  to
mount a thorough removal of SLORC by any  means. The  international
community  was  divided  as to whether to intervene on human rights
ground or in which way and it was totally indecisive on Burma. There
appears  to  be  a  policy   vacuum  to  deals  with  such state of
transitional  era  in  a  post-Cold  War   amongst  major  powers.
Comparing to 1988-89, the publicity for Burma situation been better
-thanks to awarding of Nobel Peace prize to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi  -
nonetheless, it is accurate to say that there were no real solution
was forthcoming   at  that time in 1992. Knowing the true political
status of  Rohingyas  within  Burma,  it seems  quite  remote  that
Rohingya's problem could be able to solved.

Meanwhile, the Rohingyas squatted along  Naaf  river. The situation
was  totally  tragic;  UNHCR  was -as usual - slowly moving for its
relief operation. The ground which the Rohingyas settled on was mud
plain,  which  its depth to one's knees. In  the  thetch-roof-tents
which  were  not enough room to stand straight, where the Rohingyas
cook,  eat, sleep and live - as Justice Einfeld reports.  There was
no clean water and sanitation:  one report of suspected cholera was
reported. It was middle of monsoon, which rainfall to  that  region
is usually heavy. There is true danger of refugees being perished in
a savage  cyclone,  which  quite common for that part of Bangladesh,
was - nonetheless - spared for two consecutive years.

One have to keep in mind of the prevailing attitude towards refugees-
in any country I dare say. In developed countries, the refugees are
being looked at as a threat to labour market, social cohesion and a
burden  to  society.  Such  spirit of mean-ness to refugees took to
its ultimate form when the host country's economy is primitive. The
Rohingyas have been harrassed in  hunting  and  fishing,  and  even
collecting  firewood  which  the  refugees have to compete with the
locals. There  was  also  report  of  blockade  by  locals  on  the
humanitarian  assistance  to  refugees. When the powerful and civil
conscience governments tooks legal and proper measures to curb their
numbers of refugees down, those not powerful are simply  turned  on
refugees. One case of point may be 78' refugee crisis, where 10,000
Rohingyas   reportedly   died   from  malnutrition.  A  large scale
resettlement for this number is no where to be seen  and  therefore
repatriation is the only solution.

It  is  clear  that  the  Rohingya  problem  is  a   purely   human
rights/humanitarian  problem: a problem that arose from the madness
and brutality of SLORC, rather separate from the conflicts of other
ethnic  minorities.  Because   of   their   political   status,   a
humanitarian  oriented solution was promoted. There will  still  be
some predicaments regarding  their citizenship issues. However, the
need  to get on with life seems more important, if reasonable safty
for Rohingyas been given  until  such time as a new government came
into   power.  The  best  solution  seems that the strengthening of
monitoring mechanism for Refugees. -- U Ne Oo.

[added  note:  in  my letter, there was an obscured choice of word:
"ethnic". Of course, all people of  Burma  have  their  own  ethnic
origin.  A  more precise  term should be "Indigenous nationalities"
rather than "ethnic" in my letter.]

/* -----------" 1992: Letter to Justice Einfeld "--------------*/

The Hon. Justice Marcus Einfeld,
Federal Court of Australia,

\date{August 6, 1992.}

Dear Sir,

I  am  a  Burmese student studying at the University of Adelaide. I
graduated  from, and worked at, Rangoon University until recently.
I have been in Australia for  4-years  as  a  Scholar,  pursuing  a
doctorate degree.

As a Burmese student in Australia, I appreciate Australians showing
their  interest  in  Burma.  Since  I am interested in Australians'
opinions on Burma, I always search for and study publications about
Burma. As Burma has been isolated  for  a  long  time,  there  were
inevitably  mis-interpretations  in  some  of  the reports. As I go
through your reports, I was encouraged that at least there  is  one
in  Australia,  who  certainly understands about Burma. Many thanks
for  your report which carries incisive  information  and,  to  the
best  of  my belief, most promising recommendations that would help
to built a democratic Burma.

As you have rightly pointed out, we agree that Burma is ethnically
and culturally diverse. As an ethnic Burman, we are sure that we do
not  want  to discriminate in any way-socially or constitutionally-
against any  of  our  minorities:  Karen,  Kachin,  Mon,  Shan  and
Arakanese. People of Burma have always lived in peace and harmony.

In this context, of  course,  we  must  draw  a  line  between  the
military,  which  maintain  hostility  towards some minorities, and
Burman    themselves.   The    military's    treatment    of    the
minorities-especially Karen and Rohingya-which people outside Burma
could  interpret  as   religious or racial persecution, are not the
responsibility of Burmese and Burmans.

Historically, there have been divisions  between  the  Burmans  and
Karens.  This  division between ethnic Karen and  Burmans, which is
of little relevance to  our  generation,  was  created  by  British
rulers  in  1930's. In our colonial period, the Karens probably get
along with the  British  better.  The  British  therefore  recruits
Karens  for  the  forces within Burma. In 1930, there was a revolt,
also known as Sayasan-peasant  movements,  which  Burmans  peasants
mostly  were  involved.  This  revolt  was brutally put down by the
British, using Karen forces. Since  then  there  have  been  hatred
between the Burman and Karens.

After  our independence in 1948, the minorities has been waging war
against  Rangoon.  The  objective  seems  to  be  for  a  state  of
federations, or some with total independence. This has led  Gen. Ne
Win to took over power from U Nu, an elected prime minister.Burma's
history, perhaps, is more distorted within the country than outside.
We never heard the true version of what happened in 1948. Therefore,
as   Burmese  of younger generation, the minority revolt is seen as
unnecessary. Since the media within the country is just the Govt.'s
mouthpiece, we have never heard of the  atrocities  that  had  been
conducted   by  the  Army.  There  is also  propaganda, and to some
extent  could be true, that some of these ethnic  revolts  are  for
economic  reasons.  We  never  thought that the ethnic revolt was a
counter measure to Burman's repression  on  its  ethnics.  We  have
never   been  privileged  as  an  ethnic  Burman,  economically  or
socially. We,  Burmans,  are  just  as  poor   and   suffering  the
military's   repression   as   the   ethnics.  Since  we  have  not
discriminated against our ethnics - constitutionally  or  socially,
their call for independent state is seen as unjustified. Therefore,
it lead us to believes that ethnic revolts are for economic, rather
than   political objectives.

The  1988  events  certainly  change  these views. Experiencing the
Army's  brutality towards our people and students, it conceded that
these ethnic revolts are justified. The minority  view  on  Burman,
perhaps,  also  have changed. The acceptance of Burmese students by
Karens forces certainly prove this.

The issue of Rohingya-Arakanese is more complicated. There have been
a reluctance to accept Rohingya as an ethnic group. The reason  has
been  not  of  their  religion,  but  its link with the Bangladeshi
community. Although Rohingyas have lived within  Burma  for  almost
two centuries, it would not  be claimed as ethnic. Since Burma have
had  a  much  earlier  history, perhaps a few thousand years, it is
simply unreasonable to claim same status as Karen, Mon,  Arakanese,
etc.  Australians,  probably,  might have a different view on this.
There is another reason why we wouldn't agree  on  this.  Burma  is
geographically  located between two giant nation and therefore more
sensitive in defining the term ``ethnics''. Of  course,  we  cannot
possibly  give  this  kind  of  recognition as ethnics to what that
might attract more complicated issues within our neighbors.

We  therefore   feel   sad,   much   as   being   ourselves,   that
Rohingya-Arakanese  has  to  flee  from  their inhabitant. Although
there may be some complications, we must and we will,  accept  them
as citizens of Burma. We however cannot possibly accept Rohingya as
one of our ethnics. As you have correctly predicted, Burmese people
will  not  support independent states of any kind - on religious or
ethnics grounds. Needless to say, the sympathy  from  armed  forces
are out of question, if one were to promote such independent states.

Despite  growing  resentment towards its rulers and popular demands
for democracy, the movements have an undertow from such facts. The
military always justify themselves as the saviors  of   Burma  from
the  separatists.  To  a  Burmese,  this  claim  of  the  military,
clearly, is  non-sense propaganda. However  we  do  entertain  fear
that  our  Union  might  actually  secede.  The  fact  that it is a
sensitive  political  issue,  there  are  possibilities  that   the
government itself might instigate  the democratic forces to portray
as separatists.

Although  there  have  been such fears, we can not simply allow the
present government and political system to continue. The  state  of
federal  system,  which  the  NCGUB has endorsed, may be found more
acceptable to both Burmese and the ethnics. There have been reports
that the various ethnics groups have accepted NCGUB. A question  of
how  Burma  would  be  rebuilt seem far too early to be determined.
First and foremost, the need is to restore  democratic  government,
which observe an independent judicial power and freedom of speech.
I  feel sure that Burmese people will find no difficulty to observe
the rules of laws, as our society have always been a lawful society.
Once democracy is restored,  social justice and peace is assured.

As a Burmese, I would like  to  express  my  gratitude  to  you  in
speaking  out  against the Australian companies dealing with SLORC.
The Australian Govt. hasn't shown much  willingness  to  raise  the
Human Right abuses in Burma in UN or even to call off BHP and other
companies.  Unless  Australian  public has shown interest in Burma,
these politicians are unlikely to change their attitude. Therefore,
I would like to make the request that  you  and  other  like-minded
progressive  citizens  of  Australia  push Australian Government to
take some action on Burma issue.

\closing{Yours sincerely}
\end{letter}
\end{document}