NCGUB Position on UNDP Program in B

Subject: NCGUB Position on UNDP Program in Burma

Burma Watchers,

Recently, there was some confusion in Washington, largely stirred up by
claims of various UNDP officials in New York, concerning the position of the
National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma regarding the presence
of UNDP programs in Burma, which (by their nature), must be conducted
through a Memorandum of Understanding with SLORC.  Evidently, UNDP was
trying to convince the U.S. State Department to release funds by saying the
NCGUB either didn't mind or was supportive.  Just so that the record is
straight that the NCGUB does not support UNDP's presence in Burma, here is a
letter sent to a key Congressperson by PM Sein Win.  Hope this is helpful in
the debate among NGOs about whether to go into Burma or not... Cheers, Phil
March 20, 1995

The Honorable Benjamin A. Gilman
Chairman
House Committee on International Relations
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, D.C.  20515

Dear Mr. Chairman,

It has been brought to my attention that the U.S. Government is considering
providing $27.6 million to the United Nations Development Program in 1995
for programs and activities in Burma.

I further understand that there is some confusion over the position of the
NCGUB regarding the UNDP programs.  I believe this confusion has arisen
indirectly from our 1994 position paper on Humanitarian Assistance in Burma.

Mr. Chairman, as an elected representative of the people of Burma and as
head of the NCGUB, I wish to inform you categorically that we do not support
or agree to any UNDP program for Burma in 1995.  The U.S. Government should
not provide the UNDP with $27.6 million.

Our position paper on Humanitarian Assistance in Burma called for the UN to
develop an integrated approach to the problems in Burma.  The paper clearly
stated that UN economic and development assistance should be contigent on
the progress towards a political settlement.  There has been no progress
whatsoever on the political front.  The UN dialogue with SLORC has been
deliberately stalled.  By attacking our headquarters at Manerplaw, SLORC has
clearly indicated that it has no genuine interest in negotiating with
democracy forces for a political settlement.  Funding any UNDP program in
Burma will definetly contradict the position we outlined.

As stated in the position paper, the greatest obstacle to any aid program to
Burma is the military's control over humanitarian projects.  We recognize
the humanitarian aid need in Burma.  However, we want humanitarian
assistance to actually reach the Burmese people, not the SLORC.  Our
preference is for cross-border assistance directly to the people, and in no
way, through SLORC.

We also stated that humanitarian aid that tacitly recognizes SLORC will
enable the junta to use such aid as propaganda to further establish its
legitimacy.  Funding the UNDP in 1995 definetly falls in this category and
should be avoided at all costs.

I trust this clarifies my government's position regarding humanitarian aid
to Burma and UNDP.  The $27.6 million to UNDP in 1995 for programs and
activities in Burma is completely against the position of the NCGUB and the
people of Burma.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.  Any additional information
you need can be obtained at our Washington, D.C. Information Office.

Sincerely,

(signed)

Sein Win
Prime Minister