Burmese Students(Bangkok) Statem

Statement of Exile Burmese Students (Bangkok) on Seventh Anniversary of Human
Rights Day of Burma on 13th March

                                                                 Date: 12th
March, 1995

We are the students who took part actively in the 1988 nation-wide general
uprising for democracy in Burma. We left our homes because of the escalation
of oppression, atroicities and abuses comitted by the Slorc military junta
against the Burmese people after the military coup d'etat on September 18,
1988. We have come here en masse, in order to:

-condemn the Slorc who has created the present disastrous situation in Burma.
-appeal to the UN and the international community to exert effective pressure
against the Slorc.
-show our determination to continue to firmly stand by our political
principles.

The Slorc forcibly took over state power using armed forces to kill the
unarmed prodemocracy demonstrators stating their promise that would hold free
and fair elections. However, they continue to oppress the people by unjustly
detaining, arresting and torturing those who critized or opposed them.
Despite such conditions and threats the NLD party, led by Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi, won a landslide victory by winning morw than 80% of the seats in the
general election held on May 27, 1990.

The Slorc who had before promised to transfer power to the elected
representatives broke their promise and totally ignored the election results.
Moreover, they continue their attempts to cling on to state power by creating
a National Convention dominated by Slorc hand-picked representaives.Not only
that, they have systematically continued their human rights abuses through
forced conscription of porters, labourers, torture, rape and summary
executions.

The recent fighting on the Thai-Burma border has proved that although they
have been able to achieve unstable cease-fire aggrement with some ethnic
forces, they will launch a military offensive if they can not achieve an
agreement of the kind they want.

Therefore, we would like to express to the international community that the
Slorc can not be trusted, should not be recognized as the de jure government
and should be strongly denounced for all the inhuman and unjust deeds
committed  by the Slorc against the people of Burma.

We firmly believe that there will be national reconciliation, prosperity and
peace in Burma only when the Slorc agrees to the following demands.

1. To unconditionally release all political prisoners including Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi.
2. To immediately transfer power to the duly elected representatives of the
May 1990 election.
3. To cease all kinds af basic human rights abuses and all forms of systemic
oppression all over Burma.

We reaffirm our belief that these demands represents the only path to the
liberation of our suffering people.

We earnestly appeal to the UN and all governments which sincerely seek
genuine democratic reforms in Burma, to pressure Slorc by all appropriate,
effective and practical means. We earnestly appeal to the UN and the
international community to provide humanitarian treatment and assistance to
the refugees from Burma who take refuge in neighboring countries in
accordance with the appropriate international laws and norms.

Exile Burmese Students
Bangkok (Thailand)