ABSDF Statement on the 7th anniv

ABSDF Statement on the seventh anniversary of Burma Human
                                   Rights Day

                                                                   Date: 12th
March,1995

13th March, 1995 is the seventh anniversary of the death of Ko Phone Maw, a
student martyr who sacrificed his life during anti-military dictatorship
struggle. It is also the seventh anniversary day of the anti-military
dictatorship struggle in our time.

We reaffirm our determination, on this remarkable day, to continue our great
struggle against the military dictatorship until we reach success in honour
of the Martyrs and heros who have fallen while struggle for democracy and
human rights for the Burmese people.

The current political crisis in Burma continues to escalate. We would like to
settle all political problems by peaceful means. The international community
also has the same opinion with us for peace in Burma and is infact, very
convinced of the UNGA's resolutions.

However, the Slorc continue to ignore the will of the Burmese people and the
international community by:
1. Still denying to recognize human rights and political freedom.
2. Still ignoring the result of the 1990 general election.
3. Still continuing  the detention of political prisoners including 1991
Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.
4. Offering comestic peace talk and convening a sham national convention to
strengthen military domination.
5. Still launghing major offensives against the ethnic groups.

These Slorc deeds are absolutely against the will of the Burmese people and
international community. We, the ABSDF strongly denounce these Slorc deeds
and call on the Slorc to cease all these deeds.

Today Slorc attempts can not lead to a better situation or progression of
politics, economics, social and all sectors in Burma.

On this special day, in which martyrs of Burma have sacrificed their lives
for democracy and human rights, the ABSDF, on behalf of Burmese people,
earnestly appeal to:

1. UN and international community to unseat the Slorc from the UN and to
exert effective economic sanctions and arms embargo against the Slorc.
2. Asean countries which have practicing so-called constructive engagement
policy towards Burma, to consider and change their policies.
3. Japanese government to halt the ODA assistance to the military as the
Slorc deeds are not in accordance with the principles of the ODA policy.
4. China to discontinue arms selling to the Slorc as the Slorc's conduct is
not in accordance with the principles of the Arms Sale Policy of China.

The ABSDF also urges the Burmese people and Burmese students inside and
outside of Burma to steadfastly continue our struggle for democracy and human
rights, hand in hand with us.

Central Leading Committee
All Burma Students Democratic Front
(Tel/Fax-011 662 379 2002)