British Week

ANTI BRITISH WEEK PROTEST
The second British week started today in Rangoon.  This is an event organized by the British Ambassador, J.D.N. Hartland-Swann, to  encourage investment in Burma by British firms.  Delegates flew out from Britain on the same evening that Kawmoora was evacuated.  The following is an invitation from the British Embassy which we have been able to obtain.

We feel very strongly that Britain has publicly done nothing about condemning the current offensive on the Thai Burma border and are appalled that the British Ambassador is actively encouraging investment in this way.

We hope that you will support the protest against British week by faxing the relevant British Embassy (numbers below).

British Week
27th February - 3rd March  1995

YANGON

Presenting Modern Britain to Myanmar, including:

An informed and up-to-date picture of the opportunities for trade and investment in Myanmar.

Briefings by senior British business figures.

Seminars for British business representatives, their agents and partners.

Jazz evenings with the British Moire Music Drum Orchestra.

Workshops, exhibitions, displays, films, books on UK/Myanmar.

Cabaret evenings at the Residence and the Strand Hotel with Martin Palmer.

Coinciding with the Myanmar Trade Fair (25th Feb - 3rd March).

No fees - meeting service and accommodation bookings arranged (if before 15th January 1995).

Most of the events will be at the British Ambassador's Residence

Contact:  British Embassy, Yangon.  Tel: (95) 1 95300  Fax: (95) 1 89566

>From H.M. Ambassador                                               British Embassy,
                                                                                      Rangoon.

4th December 1994

BRITISH WEEK IN YANGON:  27 February - 3 March 1995

           In view of your company's possible interest in the Myanmar (Burma) market I thought I should write to you in the hope of securing your support for a project which we are planning for early 1995.

          In the last twelve months there has been a significant increase in business activity in Myanmar (Burma). I believe that there are now good opportunities opening up here for British business (see for example the enclosed copy of an article which appeared in the latest issue of the APAG Quarterly). Within the limitations imposed by our political attitude towards the present government, which remain unchanged, we in the Embassy have been trying to encourage this interest and to see how we might recapture our position as one of Myanmar's traditional trading partners. We initiated this by staging a very successful British Week in March this year. Since then we have helped arrange visits here by British Chamber of Commerce Missions from both Bangkok and Hong Kong; and another from Singapore is under consideration.

          The programme for the next British Week which we are planning will concentrate on a series of commercial seminars over three days which will target the key sectors in the developing Myanmar market. But we will also have a number of other attractive supporting social and cultural events. I enclose a flyer we have prepared which illustrates this. We have also arranged for the Week to coincide with the 1995 Myanmar Trade Fair, only the second such fair to have been staged. The Fair authorities have offered space for a British stand and we are hoping that one or more British companies might wish to take advantage of this. There will also be an opportunity for those attending the Week to visit the Fair.

          I believe this represents a valuable opportunity to bring together British companies, some of whom have already done business here and some of whom are newcomers to the market, to share ideas and experiences. They will also be able to meet members of the local business community and officials from appropriate Ministries to give them an informed and up-to-date picture of what opportunities for trade and investment are now on offer in Myanmar. I am therefore writing to you in the hope that I might persuade your company to be among them, whether represented from the UK or from a regional centre such as Bangkok, Hong Kong or Singapore. There will be no attendance fee but we hope that those who come might feel able to make a voluntary contribution to our costs. We can arrange accommodation if necessary (see the enclosed registration form). But we expect participants to find their own fares and hotel costs. Those attending from outside Myanmar would need to book air tickets and make hotel reservations we
ll in advance (eg mid-January) because of the large number of foreign visitors expected for the Myanmar Trade Fair. I hope you will come.

J.D.N. Hartland-Swann.

Article from Apag quarterly November 1994 p6

Burma Market Grows

The Burmese economy is growing and British companies should be exploring its potential, Mr Julian Hartland-Swann, Britain's Ambassador to Burma, told a meeting recently at the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

"The energy sector is showing promise in areas such as gas and turbines, and two offshore oil and gas fields are being developed," he said.

"The building sector is also optimistic, with five major bridge projects currently under consideration.  A UK company has already tendered for two of them.  Water, irrigation and dam construction are also growing."

Telecommunications is another important area for Burma.  "Rangoon has recently installed a modular telephone system and there are plans to do the same for Mandalay.  The airport urgently needs some investment in telecommunications.  The Burmese appear to be trying to leapfrog the wire based telephone system stage and going straight to modern transmitter based equipment.  There is also the possibility of privatisation."

Tourism has potential as Burma has many sites of interest, particularly in the Pagan and Pegu areas, but the airports and roads need upgrading and more hotels are needed to allow the tourist trade to develop.

However, Mr Hartland-Swann also sounded a note of caution.  The European Community operates a strict embargo on arms sales to Burma, and ATP and ECGD cover are not available.  So long as there is no noticeable improvement in Burma['s human rights record and the SLORC still refuses to introduce democratic reforms, there is unlikely to be an improvement in EU/Burmese relations, nor a change in the position of foreign aid.  Burma is, therefore, a difficult country to do business with," he said.  "The country has very limited foreign exchange reserves.  Credit remains scarce and I would advise against any company accepting an unbacked letter of credit."

Barter, or countertrading, has been a traditional method of business in Burma, with rice and timber two of the main products traded.  Although countertrading is being phased out, companies should be aware that they may have to accept some unusual trading practices.  "British companies should look at joint ventures, but should make sure they gain the majority share.  They should also arrange their finances so they can export profits form the country.  This is difficult but they must try to do it, " the ambassador warned.

English is commonly spoken in Burma and companies generally use British business methods.  "It is easy to visit Rangoon while on a business trip to S.E.Asia," Hartland-Swann said, "and I will give every assistance to British businesses hoping to break into the Burma market.

Programme

Monday 27 February
Opening Ceremony at Ambassador's residence
Keynote speeches by Myanmar Minister of Trade and Senior British Business Representative.
Panel Discussion: "Trade and Investment Prospects in Myanmar Today".
Visit to British Stand at Myanmar Trade Fair 1995 and Workshop
Evening Gala Concert at the Residence by the Moire Jazz Drum Band

Tuesday 28 February
Registration for Commercial Seminars at the Residence
Seminars 1 (infrastructure) and 2 (housing and hotel construction) followed by lunch and seminar 3(agriculture, timber and agro industry)
Dinner at a Burmese restaurant.

Wednesday 1 March
Seminars 4(communications and technology) and 5 (banking finance and insurance) followed by lunch and Seminar 6 (trading: import and export)
Evening reception for seminar guests with a cabaret entertainer: Martin Palmer.

Thursday 2 March
Seminars 7 (consumer industries) and 8 (energy(petroleum gas and electricity))
Sightseeing visit to Shwedagon Pagoda and Hlaw Ga Park
Film evening

Friday 3 March
Private commercial visits and follow-up contacts
Concluding reception at the residence

Standing exhibitions and events at the residence and the embassy will include: Cultural exhibition of Photographs and Posters: Exhibition of British Technology: Sponsored Exhibits from UK companies: Films and Video Shows: Book Display

Fax Numbers for British Embassies around the world.

EUROPE
Britain		0171  270 2833 (Foreign and Commonwealth Office)
France		33 142 66 95 90
Germany 		49 2289 167 200
Netherlands	31 70 360 3839
Switzerland 	411 2113660