Statement on the Loss of U Nu

Democratic Burmese Students Organization (USA)
P.O.Box 91, Rockville, MD 20851;Tel.(301)217-0356, Fax.(301)770-7416

February 18, 1995

                           Statement on the loss of Prime Minister U Nu

	We, the members of Democratic Burmese Students Organization, hereby announce
our deepest condolences on the loss of Prime Minister U Nu who was 88 years
old when he died on February 14, 1995.

	Under British colonialism, U Nu served as a chairman of All Burma Students
Union (ABSU) which took leading role in fighting against the British. Also he
signed the historic Nu-Attlee Agreement on October 17, 1947, which paved the
way for the dawn of freedom in Burma on January 4, 1948. He became the first
and the only democratically-elected prime minister of Union of Burma from
1948 to 1958 and from 1960-1962.

	We therefore strongly demand that Prime Minister U Nu be honored with a
state funeral.