ERRORS-TO:INET:strider@xxxxxxxxxxx
FROM:NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Burmese Relief Center--Japan
DATE:February 19, 1995
TIME 9:49AM JST
SUBJ:More from the border

Mae Sariang

Hi Gang,
Finally left ShoKlo and Dr. KTO's kids.  We
evacuated Tuesday--moved nearly everything except
basic supply of medicine at hospital.  Dr.'s medics
stay on hand in shifts--still 2 in-patients and
outpatients everyday.  Paw Pa Hta is nearly 80%
evacuated, only 1 shop remains open.

Here's an update on news:

13 Feb. 2 students walking from xx Thai village into
the Family Village were "attacked" by DKBO--DKBO are deep inside Thailand.  On
e medic ran
away.  The other student was captured by DKBO
but was released when he promised to negotiate
ABSDF's cooperation.  Maybe DKBO doesn't want
to attack the students?

Update on boat attack--3 students dead.  You can
imagine the confusion of the injured ones we met in
Mae Sot--they'd been sitting targets and barely
managed to swim to the bank with injuries.  That
was the last ABSDF boat.  One lost in an accident,
one seized in Mae Sam Lap, then this one.

ZZZ, a mutual friend, was scheduled to be on that
boat, but due to the mine accident at Dawn Gwin,
was called to accompany the victim to Mae Sot (the
amputee I mentioned previously).  He, the medic,
left suddenly and his bag was following on that boat
that was captured after the attack.  Unfortunately,
he'd kept a detailed diary....

You'll be glad to know that Ven. U Than Wara
Sayadaw of Peaceful Monastery, where the pagoda
was completed last year, evacuated to the Thai side
directly opposite his monastery.  His monastery is
now occupied by DKBO.

Also, we heard on BBC the strongest condemnation
ever has come from Thai government (maybe you
know this, but I've been away from newspapers for
more than a week).  Officially condemned SLORC
attacks on Thai side and blamed DKBO on SLORC.
More than 20 letters sent to Burma plus Burmese
Embassy called in for personal visit.  SLORC local
regiment commander sent a letter to Thai troops--telling them to move back and
 SLORC would
control the border until fighting finished.

The monk U Thu Za Na is being used by SLORC
and DKBO as figurehead leader.  He's reported to
be in a monastery practicing/teaching Buddhism.
He's totally UNPOLITICAL and UNMILITARY.

SLORC propaganda at the moment.  The offensive
is officially over for this season!!??!!   And the KNU
Buddhist leader kidnaped VOLUNTARILY joined
the DKBO!!

Last night we had a scare at ShoKlo.  We heard
gunshots very close.  There was lots of panic, but it
turned out to be a Thai soldier angry over gambling.
There are rumors that DKBO is coming today (the
17th) or the 27th to Paw Pa Hta.

Meet E and C of (NGO) who just returned from
Family Village.  They promised one month's supply
of food and medicine and, after that, will assess the
situation for further assistance.

The students need to move the Family Village again
because the second site is not secure.  They are
worried about DKBO.  Of course, ABSDF doesn't
want to stay with the refugees because they must
continue their political activities.

14 Feb.  Mae Sariang office raided.  All 8 men
present arrested.  Not Ma Thet because she was sick
and also not another pregnant woman.  The fine was
10,000 Baht.

As for the southern areas, villages are evacuating
voluntarily since the beginning of February's
offensive.

I suppose you hard that DKBO stole food from
refugees on Thai territory.

Further rumors of DKBO in Noe Bon (sp?) refugee
camp.  They are said to have killed one high-ranking
KNU leader and to have planted mines at the school
and clinic in camp.

More when I can.