ERRORS-TO:strider@xxxxxxxxxxx
FROM:NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Burmese Relief Center--Japan
DATE:February 13, 1995
TIME: 8:47PMJST
SUBJ:Update from the border

Received early 2/13/95

Dear BRC--J,
I'd made tentative plans to meet Y at Mae
Sariang tomorrow am but latest news/rumor is that
DKBO/SLORC has cut transport in both directions
now and Mae SamLap is dangerous with DKBO just
opposite.  Newsweek journalists who came here said
they'd called out from Mae Samlap saying they
wanted to talk.  DKBO called back across the river
with megaphone telling them to go away quickly
(Look for story on PPH--KNU soldiers in upcoming
issue.  The story won't say much about the political
situation.  They didn't ask the right questions and the
situation is too bleak to volunteer info.)

I'm faxing DKBO statements received at ShoKlo in
Burmese.  One in Karen has been translated into
Burmese.  It seems as if many of the anti-KNU
accusations are true, but the DKBO line is
retaliation, separatism, crush the KNU in the name of
Buddhism.  It's all very demoralizing and confusing
locally, the majority being Buddhist KNU.
KawMooRaw is still under attack--shelling explosions
can be heard through the night in Mae Sot.

Maybe you are aware that Paw PaHta  is a known
safe-haven for escaped porters.  Lately there are none,
but after the fall of Manerplaw more than 170 made
their way down the river, told by villagers to come to
PPH.  They came from Mudon, Moulmein, Rangoon,
and satellite towns--it seems as if nowhere is safe.  PPH
gives free lodging, food, etc.   PPH gives free lodging
food, etc.  BRC sent a volunteer with money to cover
their needs, with supplies (food, slippers, clothing,
small amount of money) for their passage home. PPH
is considered far enough from Manerplaw for safe
return home.

Mae Sot (12 Feb) Sending these updates is
frustrating--so much contradictory reporting. Dawn
Gwin has been evacuated.  On Thursday 9 Feb.
a boat was traveling upriver from DG.  They were
attacked by Burmese speakers mostly, but some Karen
language was heard.  (Assume both SLORC and
DKBO) (Earlier, when Manerplaw fell, DKBO did
not attack students when they had an opportunity to do
so.)  Now in DG area, all ABSDF have retreated to
Thai side (including Salween).

Just visited injured students from boat attack.  They
were continuously shot at.  One was seriously injured
and captured!  The other 6 on board managed to swim
to Thai side.  Two escaped, apparently unscathed and
are in the Thai jungle so far unaccounted for.  The
remaining 4 were injured.  2 were released from
hospital and are at Dr. C's.  The other 2 remain
hospitalized--one with 2 bullet wounds in his
shoulder, one will lose his eye.  These 4 injured
managed to swim, then hide amongst the rocks on the
Thai side for more than an hour of continued shelling.
They made their way to a Karen village.  Assisted by
villagers, on to Mae Sariang.  Soe Aung and a medic
accompanied them at night to Mae Sot.  A medic and
an attendant staying with them at the hospital.  There's
also another student who lost a foot when a mine
exploded at Dawn Gwin (maybe a week ago?)  He lies
in pain, a bloodied bandage on his propped-up stump.
Dr. KTO says it reeks of gangrene and most likely
needs to be further amputated.  Poor man--he's
in terrible agony.  The medic is administering
pain-killer secretly.  Good to see they at least have
continued ABSDF support.

At PPH we had news of heavy reinforcements to
SLORC's closest position (7 kms) and news of
SLORC's plan to move as far as PPH.  We were all
busy packing our evacuation bags (I'm getting better at
this!)  ABSDF near PPH also plans to evacuate
families too.  Still much confusion/panic regarding
DKBO--more and more KNU soldiers are
"disappearing" and relatives are worried.

On the brighter side, we hope, is the formation of a
new group called NOBO.  The leader is a mid-50 year
old Buddhist commander at KawMooRaa, where
morale is extremely low because of continued attack
and Buddhists are especially confused.  In one week,
he's recruited 200 Karen Buddhists.  They are
organizing with the support of KNU--receiving food
and weapons from KNU to flight SLORC.  They have
vowed to never join any group which oppresses people.
Intends to negotiate with DKBO.  Also vows to never
make misjudgments as KNU leadership did in the past.