Kawmoora Offensive

>From hag2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Thu Feb  9 09:46:53 1995
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 12:45:58 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Kawmoora Offensive
To: Coban Tun <tun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The Burmese (SLORC) troops normally use Thai soil when they attack the
KNU or the Mons or the Karanni.  I had a bitter experience in
1989 when the Kawmoora camp was attacked by the Burmese troops. At the
time I was acting as the chairman of the All Burma Students' democratic
front and visited the Kawmoora to encourage the students who were
fighting along with the KNU , Arakanese, Kachins and Pao troops against the
SLORC intruding offensive.
	We intercepted the enemy tranmission line and found out that
about 300 Burmese troops were crossing the Moei river to the Thai side and
planned to attack from the front line and from the Thai side.
As a counter measure the KNU commondos and the Students crossed the
river and guarded the Thai side to prevent this two pronged attack.
Unfortunately, the Thai border guards arrived and told us that we have no right
to use Thai soil, if KNU or SLORC troops cross the border they will fight both
troops. They promised us if SLORC used their soil they would not hesitate
to force them out of Thailand, initially  using an air attack to bomb the
intruders.  We went back to our Kawmoora base, hoping that the Thai would
keep their promise.  But at dawn our camp was attacked from  both the front
line and the Thai side.  The enemy were taking a position from the Thai market
opposite from Kawmoora.  We were waiting for the Thai army to attack the
SLORC but in reality The Thai army retreated two kilometers away and watched.
One Thai army plane circled  around our camp but there was no air attack
as they had promised us.  The KNU sent the best commandos without hesitation
and attacked the SLORC troops who were stationed in the Thai market place.
Luckily we won the battle, killing 70 enemy soldiers while on our side we
lost our 3 best commandos.
	The Colnel who lead the Burmese troops fled to the Thai Army and begged
for help.  He was later escorted by the Thai Army back to Myawaddy.
	My main concern about this accident is the fact that the Thai
 Army allowed the Burmese Army to attack us. I believe that the Thai Army
had a vested interest in allowing this attack to occur. The Thai General
Chavalit Younchaiyu made a deal with the Burmese General Saw Maung
providing General Chavalit Younchaiyu with Burmese logging rights. When
the conflict occurred it was in General Chavilit's best interests to
allow the Burmese Army to attack without interference from the Thai
military. General Chavalit resigned his position in the military and
is currently the Interior Minister for the Thai government. In this new
position he has gained wealth and prestige due to the logging and fishing
rights he acquired in Burma; as a result he continues to favor the SLORC.
	I am worried that the KNU leaders, including General Bo Mya,
are under the Thai Army's control and that the KNU are not allowed to go
anywhere without the Thai Army's permission. I would like the international
community to pressure Thailand into not supporting the SLORC.

Additionally I would like Thailand to allow the KNU leaders and the
ABSDF students to have entrance into Burma from whatever border area
that these two groups choose. Lastly, I believe that the Thai government
should allow the NGO's to help the refugees who have fled from the
fighting without any interference or disturbances.

Htun Aung Gyaw
Graduate student of Asian Studies, Cornell Unerversity