KNU Statement

A KNU representative asked me to post the following statement:

The fall of Manerplaw, the KNU military headquarters, is not the end of
the Karen revolution.  We will keep fighting until democracy is achieved
in Burma and ethnic minority groups are free from oppression.  When we
started the revolution over 40 years ago, we knew that there would be
setbacks.  Today we have lost the battle, but we will never lose the
war.  This is because as human beings, we all need freedom.  Without
freedom, there is no point in living.  The Karen will continue to fight
until we achieve freedom, no matter how many years that will take.

At this point, there are close to 10,000 refugees in three different
areas on the Thai side of the border across from Manerplaw.  There are
also Karen refugees who are fleeing to Thailand near Mae Sot and
Kanchanaburi.  These refugees were able to bring only a few things with
them, and within a week they will be short of food.  The refugees
urgently need food and medical supplies.  Please send any contributions
you can as soon as possible.  Thank you.

*******
Contributions can be sent to: Burma Relief Centre
			      PO Box 48
			      Chiang Mai University
			      Chiang Mai, 50002
			      Thailand

Make all checks payable to: Burma Relief Centre.