Carter Center Statement on Aung San

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 1995 19:07:34 -0800
Subject: Carter Center Statement on Aung San Suu Kyi

I would appreciate it if you would post the following press release from
The Carter Center on BurmaNet and any other fora you feel appropriate.

For Immediate Release:  Friday, Jan. 20, 1995
Contact:  Deanna Congileo, Associate Director, Public Information,
404-420-5108.

CARTER CENTER STATEMENT ON DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI

ATLANTA, GA....The Carter Center has followed events in Burma for several
years with great interest, especially since the National League for
Democracy (NLD) won a landslide election in May 1990 and was prevented
from taking office by the military government.  The Carter Center was
disappointed to learn that despite the expiration of the latest extension
of her detention order and a great deal of recent speculation about her
impending release, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and NLD leader Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi remains under house arrest in Burma.

It is the understanding of The Carter Center that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
was to be released on Jan. 20, 1995.  That date has passed, and still she
is not free, signaling a continuing failure by the State Law and Order
Restoration Council (SLORC) to adhere to internatioanlly recognized human
rights standards and to respond to the unanimous appeals of the U.S.
General Assembly.

Said former President Jimmy Carter, "I call on the international
community to join me in urging the SLORC to immediately and
unconditionally release Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and all other political
prisoners in Burma."

The Carter Center urges the SLORC to engage in a substantive political
dialogue with Suu Kyi and other opposition leaders leading to the
restoration of civilian, democratic government.  In addition, the Center
encourages the SLORC to follow through on other commitments it has made
to the international community, namely continuing discussions with the
United Nations Secretary-General and allowing the International Committee
of the Red Cross access to prisoners.

				###