MESSAGE TO INDEPENDENCE DAY CEREMON

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 23:12:40 -0800

/* Written  8:59 PM  Jan 13, 1995 by news.reporter@xxxxxxxxxx in igc:soc.cult.burma */
/* ---------- "MESSAGE TO INDEPENDENCE DAY CEREMON" ---------- */

Wednesday, 4 January, 1995

State Law and Order Restoration Council Chairman
Senior General Than Shwe's message to
47th Anniversary Independence Day Ceremony

     On this auspicious 47th Anniversary Independence Day of
the Union of Myanmar, I cordially and respectfully greet the
people of all national races residing in the country.

     Our Union of Myanmar had stood as a sovereign nation in
the world for thousands of years, and the colonialists encroached
upon and enslaved the nation. The national brethren, with strong
patriotism, valiantly fought with whatever weapons they could lay
their hands on, against the colonialist aggression and occupation.
The patriots from among the various national races such as the
Kachin, the Kayah, the Kayin, the Chin, the Bamar, the Mon, the
Rakhine and the Shan who had taken part in the anti-colonialist
and national liberation struggles must be put on record as patriotic
heroes in the annals of our history.

     Similarly, members of the Tatmadaw, born of the national
races, who have fought many battles with valour risking their lives
in defence of independence, the service personnel and people should
also be placed on record for their spirit of sacrifice.

     The spirit of safeguarding independence, in addition to the
love for national independence, has already been firm and strong among
the citizens of Myanmar. We are dutybound to make efforts to hand this
spirit down to our descendants at present in future as well.

     We, all the people of national races, must try our best, on
self-reliance basis, to enable the nation to stand tall among the
world nations as an independent nation and to perpetuate its sovereignty.
This is the duty to be discharged by all the people of the Union to
always protect and defend the nation in cooperation. Hence, the spirit
of patriotism and the spirit of nationalism must be kept alive and
dynamic.

     When we review the historic events which we have experienced
we will see that all the citizens of this Union have always been able
to win victories against all kinds of enemies who were attempting to
cause disintegration of the Union, home to the people residing together
in weal or woe. And there have been instances in which every case of
damage has been ameliorated.

     During the period of more than six years of the State Law and
Order Restoration Council which has emerged according to historical
needs of the nation, firm foundations have been established and allround
development has been achieved in the nation's political, economic, social,
education and health spheres with public cooperation. This, all can see.
It is necessary for the people of national races to make every effort
and play whatever role they can to keep the present rate of allround
development grow unhindered.

     With such efforts, Myanmar will be able to always stand tall
among the family of nations as a peaceful, developed and modern nation.

     The government has been implementing construction projects
of schools, bridges, hospitals, dispensaries, electric power,
communications, irrigation networks etc with added momentum for the
development of the border areas and national brethren in their long
term interest utilizing substantial funds, manpower and investment.
At present, 13 armed groups, after realizing the genuine goodwill of
the government, have returned to the legal fold and are now implementing
construction projects together with others.

      The National Convention is being convened for the emergence
of a new State Constitution which will suit the wishes and aspirations
of the people of the Union and which will enable them to enjoy the
rights they are entitled to and bring about their social development.
At the National Convention, chapter headings of the constitution and
fundamental principles that must be included in drafting the constitution
have already been laid down and approved.  The main chapters of the
constitution, the Legislature, the Executive, and the Judiciary, are
being discussed and coordinated in detail. All the citizens should be
mindful of the fact that they are all responsible for extending allout
support for the emergence of the durable constitution in accordance
with the six objectives of the National Convention.

       The State Law and Order Restoration Council, which is
providing leadership to the nation, will continue to exert strenuous
efforts to achieve better results in the following  tasks with
public cooperation based on the favourable conditions already in hand:

(a) to always safeguard Our Three Main National Causes-non-disintegration
    of the Union, non-disintegration of national solidarity and
    ensuring perpetuation of sovereignty;

(b) to ensure prevalence of the rule of law and peace and tranquillity,
    ensure secure and smooth transportation, and ease the food,
    clothing and shelter problems of the people; and

(c) to give attention to and safeguard the tasks for the development
    of national races residing in Myanmar.

     The Union Solidarity and Development Association that will
provide practical training in spiritual, disciplinary, fitness and
solidarity for the perpetuation of the Union of Myanmar was formed
with the five noble and correct aims. It has been more than one year
since its formation, the annual general meeting has also been
successfully held. All the people of the national races are required
to play an active role for the success of the aims of the association.
Then only will all the causes of the Union be safe and secure and
good foundations handed to the generations to come.

     At present the Union of Myanmar has established remarkable
favourable conditions in international relations and foreign trade.
Sustained efforts are to be exerted in the country for allround
development while maintaining success achieved in agriculture sector
and in trade and services sectors. On the other hand, it is important
to guard against the danger of destructionists inside and outside
the country. Then only will the nation ever remain as a modem,
developed, peaceful and firm nation. All the people of the national
races are to continue to cooperate with the State Law and Order
Restoration Council to realize this.

     Hence, I urge all the citizens to implement, with unswerving
perseverance, earnest zeal, great strength and spirit, the National
Objectives for the 47th Anniversary of the Independence Day:

(a) for the entire mass of the national people to make concerted
    efforts in unity and harmony to protect and preserve the
    perpetuity of the State's independence and sovercignty;

(b) for all to cooperate and make concerted and relentless efforts
    for development of the State and for emergence of a peaceful,
    pleasant and prosperous State; and

(c) for making efforts for the emergence of a new and durable State
    Constitution.