survived earthquake

Date:18 January, 1995
FROM:NBH03114
Reply to:NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     Burmese Relief Center--Japan
TO:INET:reg.burma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TO:INET:strider@xxxxxxxxxxx
TO:INET:beer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is just a note to let everyone know that we survived the
earthquake and that we are OK.  As you have probably seen on TV,
most of the damage was in Kobe--more than 2400 people killed,
1000 missing, more than 13,000 injured, and more than 10,000
houses destroyed.  In Nara, we felt the trembling very strongly, but
there was no damage.  We were very worried about our friends
Barbara Cooney and Dorothy Pedtke, whom some of you know,
but, at last, this afternoon we were able to get through by phone.
Barbara called us back to say that she and Dorothy are all right.
Their houses were not flattened, at least.  The mountains areas of
Kobe seem to have fared better than the coastal areas.  Dorothy has
no heat, so she may stay with Barbara for awhile.  Our newspapers
and TV have been filled with nothing but news of the earthquake
for two days, so we are grateful for Burmanet to keep us informed
of events in other parts of the world.  Seems Aung San Suu Kyi
was not released after all.  Is anyone surprised?

Ken and Visakha Kawasaki
/E