Burma - trade opens doors not close

Subject: Re: Burma - trade opens doors not close

>From: global.trade@xxxxxxxx (Center for Global Trade Development)
>Subject: Burma - trade opens doors not close
>Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 19:04:01 MST

>Considering the worldwide changes in global economy , and the information
>revolution going on - it is clear that many governments still ill-behave with
>their citizens and deny them their basic rights.

>Burma is one of them!!
>It is clear. Possibly to the people who oppose the
>present regime - in Burma or abroad.
>But please note that most of the governments - business in general has no
>knowledge about Burma. Most people including Europe and US donot even know the
>correct location of Burma.

How true... In this day and age of satellite dishes, MTV, Global
Networks (Internet), etc... I still have people asking me whether Burma is
a island near Bahama? Belive it or not, I stayed at this hut right on the
bank of the river which divides Burma and Thailand in Mae Sai, basically
middle of nowhere, and found MTV and BBC blasting away via a huge satellite
dish!!!

>It is clear that Chinese have strategic interests in Burma and they are
>entering / investing in the country by all available legal or illegal means.
>Thailand and other Asean nations are also trying to bring Burma into their
>circle to break the isolation.

That is because Chinese wants an access to the Andaman Sea. No Chinese
have Khin Nyunt, head of MI, in their pocket and Khin Nyunt has to
suck up to Bejing now. That's why his daddy, Li Peng visited Rangoon, it
was a big deal for SLORC.

>Burma's govt is repressive and undemocratic but if it shows signs of opening
> up the economy - i think it is a good and positive sign.

Positive sign for who? For those who invest and want to make a fast buck?
at a cost of Burmese and their enviornment?

Burmese are worst then they have even been from what I know from inside
and from those very recently arrived. The problem here is it is everyone else
except burmese who is deciding what is GOOD for Burma. As a burmese, I find
this really appalling. It is like early Christian saying Christianity will be
good for those Amercian native "salvages".

>What are the incentives and hopes left in the country anyway??
>Will somebody tell us what exactly the people who oppose the present
>government will do if they come in power??  Wont they open up the country
>to foreign investment and trade or will they continue to isolate their
>public from "foreign" influence.

You definitey need to do reading about Burma. Contact NCGUB or ABSDF
journals, publication, etc...

Ct