BurmaNet News: December 26, 1994 (r)

Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 01:30:54 -0800

************************** BurmaNet **************************
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"
BurmaNet News: December 26, 1994
Issue #88

Contents:

REUTER: MUTINY BY KAREN GUERRILLAS THREATENS 45-YEAR CAMPAIGN
IRRAWADDY: MONK'S MEDIATION
SEASIA-L:  MYANMAR--FILM TO FOCUS ON STRUGGLE IN BURMA
SCB: PEPSI BOYCOTT EXEMPTION
IRRAWADDY: SLORC SENDS BURMESE PROSTITUTES TO HARD LABOUR CAMP
IRRAWADDY: YOKOTA WITHOUT SLORC
IRRAWADDY: WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO TATMADAW IF NE WIN DIES?
IRRAWADDY: MARTIAL LAW IN ARAKAN STATE
REC.TRAVEL.ASIA: BURMA
REC.TRAVEL.ASIA: BURMA--RESPONSE

The  BurmaNet News  is  an   *********************************
electronic daily newspaper   *                               *
covering  Burma.  Articles   *                  Iti          *
from newspapers, magazines,  *                 snotpo        *
The  wire services, news-    *             werthatcor        *
letters  and  the Internet   *            ruptsbutfea        *
are  published  as well as   *           r.Fearoflos         *
original material.           *          ingpowercor          *
                             *       ruptsthosewhoare        *
The BurmaNet News  is        *     subjecttoit...Theef       *
e-mailed  directly to        *     fortnecessarytoremain     *
subscribers  and  is         *   uncorruptedinanenvironm     *
also  distributed via        *  entwherefearisanintegralpar  *
the soc.culture.burma and    *   tofeverydayexistenceisnot   *
misc.activism.progressive    *      immediatelyapparent      *
newsgroups as well as        *       tothosefortun           *
the seasia-l mailing         *       ateenoughtol            *
list.   For  a  free         *       iveinstatesgo           *
subscription  to the         *        vernedbytheru          *
BurmaNet News, send          *        leoflaw...Iam          *
an  e-mail  note to:         *        n ota     frai         *
                             *                  d..          *
strider@xxxxxxxxxxx          *                   .D          *
                             *                   aw          *
Subscriptions are handled    *                   Au          *
manually so please  allow    *                   ng          *
for a delay  before  your    *                  San          *
request is fielded.          *                  Su           *
                             *                  uK           *
Letters  to  the  editor,    *                   yi          *
comments or contributions    *                   .           *
of  articles  should  be     *********************************
sent to the strider address as well.  For those without e-mail,
BurmaNet can be contacted by fax or snailmail.

     By fax: (in Thailand) (66)2 234-6674
     Attention to BurmaNet, care of Burma Issues

     By snailmail: (in the United States)
     BurmaNet, care of Coban Tun
     1267 11th Avenue #3
     San Francisco, CA 94122 USA

REUTER: MUTINY BY KAREN GUERRILLAS THREATENS 45-YEAR CAMPAIGN
by Robert birsel
Manerplaw, Burma, Reuters

FOUR hundred well-armed Karen guerrillas, strips of red monk's
cloth tied around their heads, occupied a hill-top monastery
at a guerrilla-controlled river junction in early December,
sparking one of the most serious crises in the Karen's 45-year
war for autonomy.
The mutiny, supported by vegetarian Buddhist monks and
battle-weary civilian followers of their pacifist teachings,
has thrown into question the survival of the Christian-led
Karen guerrilla force and the opposition alliance based at
their headquarters in Manerplaw.
Burmese government forces took advantage of the mutiny to
occupy and attack key defensive positions around Manerplaw,
which lies nestled against forestclad mountains on the west
bank of the River Moei, which marks the Thai-Burmese frontier.
The Karen, one of the largest of Burma's welter, of ethnic
minorities, supported the British during World War II and went
into rebellion for greater autonomy in 1949, one year after
Burma's independence from Britain.
Driven out of the Irrawaddy River delta and a central mountain
range, Karen National Union (KNU) strongholds in southeast
Burma became the target of regular dry-season offensives by
government forces in 1984.
KNU leaders blame agents of the Rangoon junta, the State Law
and Order Restoration Council (Slorc), for instigating this
month's unprecedented rebellion but admit the Slorc had
fertile ground in which to sow seeds of dissension.
Many of the estimated 100,000 villagers in their zone are
exhausted after the long years of war, Karen leaders said.
"They have helped us but it has been a very big burden for a
very long time," Senior Karen commander General Maung Maung
told Reuters in an interview.
"They don't want the civil war any more, they can't bear it
anymore," another senior Karen official said.
Two years ago, Buddhist monks from a vegetarian sect, widely
respected in central Burma, began appearing in the Karen's
zone, flush with donations and preaching a simple but powerful
message: follow our teachings and you will not have to get
involved in the war.
"The Slorc organised the monks on the plains and sent them up
into the hills. They organised Karen monks to come and work
like Buddhist missionaries," Maung Maung said.
At the same time, leaflets began appearing in frontline areas
highlighting alleged discrimination against Buddhists by the
KNU's Christian leaders.
Monks told villagers who followed their teachings they need
not serve as porters for either Slorc or the Karen.
In some areas, Slorc troops stopped press-ganging Buddhists as
porters, taking only Christian villagers, while some Buddhists
began insisting that the Karen stop bringing weapons into
their villages, KNU leaders said.
U Thu Sana, the local leader of the Buddhist sect, encouraged
his followers to build pagodas on frontline mountains and
ridges to promote peace.
Karen commanders found villagers wandering around their
defensive positions and frontline arms caches, insisting on
building pagodas, which the guerrillas likened to beacons for
Slorc airstrikes.
"They arrived to build these pagodas in the fighting time. Our
officers told them they could not do it, some officers accused
them of being Slorc monks," Maung Maung explained.
"The KNU leaders were right not to allow them to build these
pagodas, it was not discrimination," said one Buddhist
guerrilla allied to the KNU.
But patience wore thin and tempers flared. Some Karen officers
beat Buddhist villagers, infuriating some of their own
Buddhist troops, who make up 70 per cent of the 5,000-strong
force.
The appointment of a monk close to KNU leaders but little
respected by local Buddhists as chief abbot in the Karen zone
in "August further fueled resentment among both villagers and
Buddhist guerrillas.
The anger finally erupted with the mutineers, supported by
several hundred villagers and vegetarian monks, occupying the
strategically vital Thu Mwe Ta junction of the Salween and
Moei rivers on December 2.
They demanded punishment for some KNU officers, freedom for
Buddhist missionaries and end to alleged injustice and
interference from Christians.
The KNU agreed to all their demands and promised an amnesty.
"They've had this perception that the Christian leadership has
been oppressing Buddhists. There has been no such thing as
religious persecution but there have been cases where Karen
officers were involved in apparent injustices," a KNU official
said.
KNU leaders say it is time to introduce reforms, but with
Slorc troops tightening the noose around Manerplaw some
observers wonder if reforms now might be too late for Burma's
embattled Karen. (BP&TN)

IRRAWADDY: MONK'S MEDIATION
December 23, 1994

REWATA Dhamma, a Burmese monk living in Britain who earlier
initiated a dialogue between military authorities and Aung San
Suun Kyi, will return to Burma soon. He intends to stay for more
than a month, leading to speculation that Suu Kyi, who has been
under house arrest since July 1989, may be released in
mid_January. He even reportedly said Suu Kyi will be released on
january 18. (We think it could be because 1+8=9, 9 is Ne Win's
lucky number.) Some Western diplomatic sources support this view,
while others say that although the terms of her detention may be
relaxed, she will remain under some form of surveillance. (FEER &
Inside sources)

SEASIA-L:  MYANMAR--FILM TO FOCUS ON STRUGGLE IN BURMA
moe     bit.listserv.seasia-l    3:03 AM  Dec 25, 1994
(at MINERVA.ORI.U-TOKYO.AC.JP)  (From News system)

The Japan Times (December 24)

Rangoon(Kyodo): Film to focus on Struggle in Burma

        One of the survivors of the Imperial Japanese Army Unit Minami
Kikan, 77-year-old Tatsuro Izumiya, is documenting the Burmese struggle
for independence against the British government on film with the assistance of
Kyodo Television Co.

        Minami Kikan was a clandestine group within the Imperial army
formed on the eve of the Pacific War to organize the underground move-
ment in British Burma, now called Myanmar.

        The unit smuggled out and trained 30 Burmese revolutionaries,
including the late Aung San, father of opposition politician Aung San
Suu Kyi, currently under house arrest, and Ne Win. The group was later
known as the "30 comrades."

        Only six of them survived.

        Izumiya joined the Imperial army in 1938 at the age of 21.
While attached to the southern army general headquarters in Tokyo, he
served in Minami Kikan from April 1941 until dissolution in July 1942.
        In making the film, the group has gone to a variety of locations,
interviewed survivors and visited libraries, including the defense archives in
Myanmar.

        In February 1981, eight survivors of Minami Kikan, incluing
Izumiya, were invited to Rangoon by then President Gen. Ne Win and
awarded the highest civilian honor.

SCB: PEPSI BOYCOTT EXEMPTION
brischmidt      soc.culture.burma        1:09 PM  Dec 25, 1994
(at aol.com)    (From News system)

   In light of the holiday season, the Pepsi-Burma Boycott Committee is
offering a boycott exemption that can actually do some good. Just print
out the following coupon:

                           ONE (1) PEPSI BOYCOTT EXEMPTION
   This coupon entitles you to make a one-time purchase of a Pepsi
product, IF YOU:
               1. Tell Pepsi you are boycotting!!! Many people take the
step of boycotting but never inform the company - let them know they're
shooting themselves in the foot! Call 1 800 433-COLA between 9am- 7pm EST
(in the US), or write Anderson Hill Rd., Purchase NY 10577.
               AND
              2. Pass this on to someone else. Tell them simply that
Pepsi's investment in Burma is financing a military dictatorship there, or
have them contact the Pepsi-Burma Boycott Committee for more info:  PO Box
1926, Portland OR 97207, (503) 235-8576, email brischmidt@xxxxxxx
    Happy Holidays, and Freedom For Burma!  -PBBC

IRRAWADDY: SLORC SENDS BURMESE PROSTITUTES TO HARD LABOUR CAMP

IN the beginning of December Slorc sent one hundred Burmese
prostitutes to Pyinmana.
A reliable source said approximately 100 Burmese women were
transferred to upper Burma. The women are believed to have been
arrested in Rangoon, Moulmein and other cities. Sources said,
some women were deported from Thailand last year. (Thousands of
Burmese women have been working as prostitutes in Thailand_some
were lured into prostitution. These women were arrested in
Thailand and deported to Burma. Ed) It is believed that the women
were sent to Pyinmana, Yezin Kyauk Htu camp where prisoners are
force to work. The source added, "The women will be working in
Kyauk Htu hard labour camp". (B.I.G Inside sources)

IRRAWADDY: YOKOTA WITHOUT SLORC

SLORC's Myatkhinthit magazine or New Sward did not miss an
opportunity to use the UN human rights special rapporteur for
burma, Yozo Yokota. In is latest issue  New Sward reported
Yokota's activities in upper Burma with a picture of him talking
with people and cutting a ribbon marking the opening of the new
Pakhaukku-Myaing railway.
After his visit Yokota made a strong report on Burma. But BIG
just received a letter from inside Burma, "I don't think his
report is enough."
BBC World Service also received many letters complaining about
Yokota's recent trip. They said that they would be very happy if
they could freely say [to Yokota] what they want. Some even
expressed pessimism and scepticism about his visit. One letter
stated that if every year it goes like this nothing will happen.
Indeed, it is hardly surprising that Ohn Gyaw said Yokota's
report is just a ritual thing.
One letter said, "IN the presence of Slorc officials and military
personnel what can we say?"
[If you would like to read letters that we have received from
inside Burma please inform us and we can send them to you. Ed.]
(B.I.G Inside sources)

IRRAWADDY: WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO TATMADAW IF NE WIN DIES?
December 23, 19994

THE death of Ne Win is not predictable. Of course dictators are
healthy. They don't want people to be happy. They just want to
rule. But the usual rumour is that if Ne win dies the Tatmadaw
will be split. This is of course what the Burmese are hoping for.
A dissident source in Mae Sot said, "If he dies, what should
opposition do? I think they should have a well-prepared plan." It
is not certain what will happen to Tatmadaw but at least the
opposition in exile and inside should have a plan said a trader
in Mae Sot, who really wants to see the end of the Tatmadaw.
(B.I.G.Inside source)

IRRAWADDY: MARTIAL LAW IN ARAKAN STATE
December 23, 1994

ACCORDING to reliable sources inside Burma Slorc has declared
martial law in Sittwe. Arakan State since the beginning of
December after a clash between Muslims and Arakanese. The sources
said the fighting began after a Burmese monk shopped at the
Muslim shop. (It is unclear exactly what happened but some
disagreement took place.) Later is was found out that monks and
students destroyed the shop, owned by Muslims.
Since the clash, Slorc has beefed up security and sent more
soldiers to Arakan State. It is also reported that some Muslims
from Buthitaung township were beaten by local people.
This incident has not been reported in Slorc's media.
(B.I.G.Inside sources)

REC.TRAVEL.ASIA: BURMA
cristina@xxxxxxxxxx

rec.travel.asia  7:56 AM  Dec 21, 1994
(at cs.nyu.edu) (From News system)

Does anybody have fresh information about traveling in Burma?
I would like to cross the border overland from Thailand at Tatchlik,
which it looks to be possible, but I don't know if I can find any
transportation to Mandalay in a decent amount of time (less than a
day to reach Mandalay).

Also I would appreciate some imfo about the newly issued Foreign
Exchange certificates. Do they work like they use to work in China? Thank you.

tun
rec.travel.asia  8:26 AM  Dec 23, 1994
(at macpsy.ucsf.EDU)    (From News system)

REC.TRAVEL.ASIA: BURMA

 >From: cristina@xxxxxxxxxx (Licea Cristina)
 >Newsgroups: rec.travel.asia
 >Subject: Re:Burma
 >Date: 21 Dec 1994 20:56:14 -0500

 >Does anybody have fresh information about traveling in Burma?
 >I would like to cross the border overland from Thailand at Tatchlik
 >,which it looks to be possible, but I don't know if I can find any
transportation to Mandalay in a decent amount of time (less than a day to
reach Mandalay).
 >Also I would appreciate some imfo about the newly issued Foreign Exchange
certificates. Do they work like they use to work in China? Thank you.

A friend a just came back from Burma last week and he came back with
a strong impression of being rip-offed by SLORC. He said "visit Burma 1996"
will never fly!!!. He will be writing a article as soon as he recovered from
his trip. He said there are soldiers with AK-47 everywhere in Rangoon guarding
the govt. buildings, filthy Strand Hotel at western rates, etc... He also
talked to alot of other visitor and they are all in agreement as to not
returning to Burma as long as SLORC is there. He felt a strong suppression of
populace by the govt. He came back strongly disappointed and hating SLORC! He
is SLORC's "Light of Myanmar" is a joke!!

BTW, you must access soc.culture.burma to get some background on Burma.

Ct

NEWS SOURCES REGULARLY COVERED/ABBREVIATIONS USED BY BURMANET:

 AP: ASSOCIATED PRESS
 AFP: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
 AW: ASIAWEEK
 AWSJ: ASIAN WALL STREET JOURNAL
 Bt.: THAI BAHT; 25 Bt.=US$1 (APPROX),
 BBC: BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION
 BI: BURMA ISSUES
 BKK POST: BANGKOK POST (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
 BRC-CM: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-CHIANG MAI
 BRC-J: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-JAPAN
 CPPSM: C'TEE FOR PUBLICITY OF THE PEOPLE'S STRUGGLE IN MONLAND
 FEER: FAR EAST ECONOMIC REVIEW
 IRRAWADDY: NEWSLETTER PUBLISHED BY BURMA INFORMATION GROUP
 JIR: JANE'S INTELLIGENCE REVIEW
 KHRG: KAREN HUMAN RIGHTS GROUP
 Kt. BURMESE KYAT; UP TO 150 KYAT=US$1 BLACK MARKET
                   100 KYAT=US$1 SEMI-OFFICIAL
                   6 KYAT=US$1 OFFICIAL
 MOA: MIRROR OF ARAKAN
 NATION: THE NATION (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
 NLM: NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR (DAILY STATE-RUN NEWSPAPER, RANGOON)
 S.C.B.:SOC.CULTURE.BURMA NEWSGROUP
 S.C.T.:SOC.CULTURE.THAI NEWSGROUP
 SEASIA-L: S.E.ASIA BITNET MAILING LIST
 SLORC: STATE LAW AND ORDER RESTORATION COMMITTEE
 USG: UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT
 XNA: XINHUA NEWS AGENCY (PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA)