BurmaNet News: 1st Week of Dec. 199 (r)

Subject: Re: BurmaNet News: 1st Week of Dec. 199

I feel compelled to reply to your report on Khun Sa. It has been=
 clear to
me for some time that US policy on the Burma-Thai border is largely=
 run by
the DEA. Khun Sa and the M=F6ng Tai Army has been in recent months=
 the most
consistent opponent of SLORC and the horrors perpetrated by the government
in Rangoon. The drug problem is essentially one for user-countries=
 to solve
and its seems decriminalization is the surest way to remove the profit
motive from trading. Tai peasants in Shan state have little to support
themselves and opium growing is a rational choice. That MTA has used=
 the
trade to support its fight for independence must be understood by=
 the world
community.=20

The liberation of M=F6ng Tai is more important than the preoccupations=
 of DEA.

Good on you, Khun Sa.

Gehan Wijeyewardene, gew400@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx