Rohingya

RSO reports from August 15, 1994 newsletter.

ethnic cleansing in Arakan.
170 Households of Rohingyas were evicted from Minbya Township
on July 25, 1994.  They were ordered to pack belongings and told
to board six engine boats.  They were taken to Maungdaw township
where they were dumped on the local population with no food,
financial assistance or shelter.

300 Rohingyas have been killed by SLORC since Jan. 1, 1994.
3000 imprisoned.

Out of 265,000 refugees. 60,000 have returned.  UNHCR has been
providing some relief at the reception centers operated by Burmese
offiicials at Tombro, Ngakhura, Kayinchaung, Magyichaung..

In mid June, four guys, found tortured to death in the river, believed
to be former porters for the Tatmadaw :   Names: Laydoo Son of
Jalal Ahmed, 30 yrs., Mohammed Siddique, son of Fazal Ahmed,
35 yrs., Mohammed Tayub, son of Shafi Rahman, 30 yrs. and 4.
Abdul Jabbar, 45 yrs., all belonging to Barigya-bil under
Maungdaw North, Arakan.
There has been a concern posted that RSO reports not be given a
high profile or a status similar to other ethnic groups in Burma.  I
will continue to post this information unless persuaded otherwise.  I
would like to add that I do not necessarily endorse the statements of
the RSO.

Michael Beer
mbeer@xxxxxxxxxxx