political defiance news (CRDB) (r)

Upon the request of U Ne Oo, not to be cross posted or otherwise reproduced.
On 18 Aug 1994 uneoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Dear Mr Beer:
>
> I wish to express my concern about your activity on the posting of
> 'Human Rights violations upon Rohingyas in 1994'.
> The problem that posed by Rohingya refugees in overall political turmoil in
> Burma can be seen as a political burden upon both the Oppositions and  SLORC.

Why is this a political burden on the opposition and SLORC?

> If you  read the Amnesty International document AI Index ASA 16/06/92,
> and make a judgement of your own in the interest of Rohingyas, you may
> realize not to stirr-up the RSO controversy again.

What is the RSO controversy?  RSO is the Rohingya Solidarity Organization
led by Dr. Yunus.  They tend to be fairly fundamentalist, have an armed
force which has stepped up military attacks against the SLORC in April and
May, and they get most of their funding from Pakistan with a little from
Saudia Arabia.

There are other Rohingya organizations, most notably, ARIF, the Arakan
Rohingya Islamic Front, led by Nurul Islam.  This group is less "islamic"
in orientation and supports federalism. They are get
some of their funding from Malaysia.

Your message seems to imply that the refugees and RSO are the same entity.
Could you explain this to us?

 After those terrible
> incidences upon Rohingyas, the Burmans as well as international
> community have much sympathy to Rohingyas. However, given that the
> extremely paranoid status of SLORC rights now and, the volatility of
> political settlements for other refugees in all other neighbouring
> countries, would you please not to try publicise the Rohingya
> issues any further.

Could you please explain why we should fail to report injustices?  Should
we stay quiet about the attacks on the Mon.....the Karenni are next, should we
stay quiet
about them? What about the Karen?, What about the ABSDF?  I really don't
understand why you want to be quiet about these things?

> If you would like, please suggest the UNHCR to increase its staff number
> in that area and promote their vigilant activities. It can be more helpful.

I whole heartedly agree.

I, Michael Beer, am posting information that I get from the RSO.  I do not
necessarily agree with their political platform or opinions.  I am passing
on information about the RSO. If you think I should stop passing on
information about this organization and their reports, I would like to
know why.

95% of the information posted has nothing to do with the refugees. It is
information that RSO is disseminating about what is happening inside Burma
today.

I think we all deserve a fuller explanation about why you wish to squelch
discussion and communication about the Rohingya and or the RSO?

Michael Beer