political defiance news (CRDB) (r)

To: reg.burma-l and Mr Michael Beer,

This is the internal reply to Mr Beer for his update on the situation
on Arakan State. I also included a letter to Jan Eliasson, the Under-
Secretary-General of UN DHA, last December. Please do not repost this
item to any other networks including soc.culture.burma.

Dear Mr Beer:

I wish to express my concern about your activity on the posting of
'Human Rights violations upon Rohingyas in 1994'. Since late 1992,
I have been involved with the arrangements for Rohingyas' safe return,
in the interests of their well beings and, simply to get them out of
the egregious situations  from the camps in Cox-bazaar.

I wish to remind you that the 1991-92 incidences that caused the flights of
Rohingyas are the SLORC's deliberate campaign mounted upon the RSO as
of Muslim extremists. SLORC had calculated that the Buddhist Burmans will be
supportive of the campaign on oppressing Rohingyas, accusing them of illegal
immigrants to Burma. There is a long history, which you must understand,
of violent confrontations in 1978 and earlier times as 1948-50.

The problem that posed by Rohingya refugees in overall political turmoil in
Burma can be seen as a political burden upon both the Oppositions and  SLORC.
With this, we can only forsee the Rohingyas safe return and integrated into
local community. But their future as Burmese citizens are to be determined by
forthcoming administration (SLORC do not have the rights to approve/disapprove
their citizenship).

If you  read the Amnesty International document AI Index ASA 16/06/92,
and make a judgement of your own in the interest of Rohingyas, you may
realize not to stirr-up the RSO controversy again. After those terrible
incidences upon Rohingyas, the Burmans as well as international
community have much sympathy to Rohingyas. However, given that the
extremely paranoid status of SLORC rights now and, the volatility of
political settlements for other refugees in all other neighbouring
countries, would you please not to try publicise the Rohingya
issues any further.

If you would like, please suggest the UNHCR to increase its staff number
in that area and promote their vigilant activities. It can be more helpful.

With Best Regards,

U Ne Oo, Adelaide, Australia.
\documentstyle[12pt]{letter}
\textwidth=150mm
\textheight=245mm
\headheight=0cm \headsep=0in
\topmargin=-0.5cm
\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1.0}
\begin{document}
\begin{letter}{\sc Mr Jan Eliasson,\\The Under-Secretary-General of the\\
$\;\;\;\;\;\;\;$ United Nations for Humanitarian Affairs,
\\Palais des Nations,\\1211 Geneva 10,\\SWITZERLAND.}\\
\address{Dr. U Ne Oo,\\48/2 Ayliffes Road,\\St. Mary's, Adelaide,
\\AUSTRALIA  SA 5042.}
\signature{(U Ne Oo )}
\date{December 31, 1993}
\raggedright
\parindent=0cm
\opening{Dear Sir,}
\underline{RE: Humanitarian Assistance for the Burma-Rohingyas.}\\

I am a Burmese national who presently residing in Australia.
Until 1992, I was working as a demonstrator at the Department
of Physics, Rangoon Arts and Science University. I completed Ph.D.
in Physics at the University of Adelaide in 1993. Like many other
expatriate Burmese, I have been involved in the movement for democracy in
Burma through Burma Action(South Australia) and Australia Burma
Council. These views expressed in this letter, however, are of
my own and may not necessarily reflect those organizations.

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your intensive efforts that
has been made to reach the agreement between Myanmar  authorities and
the Government of Bangladesh for the repatriation of Rohingyas. From
the Asia Watch report of October 9-1993, it is apparent that the
Government of Bangladesh as well as Rohingyas wish  the repatriation
program to be completed as soon as possible. It is therefore
appropriate for the United Nations to assist a speedy repatriation for
Burma-Rohingyas.

I presumed that the reception centre at the Myanmar side of border will
not have enough capacity to carry out such speedy repatriation. Furthermore,
the Rohingyas will have serious difficulties to resettle back into the
local community with their properties and villages destroyed. I therefore
support respective UN agencies, the UNHCR, UNDP and UNICEF, to form a
task-force in assisting the repatriation program. On this occasion,
the United Nations should encourage the authorities in Myanmar to form a
{\em Reception Committee} consisting of various governmental agencies
- The Armed forces, Department of Immigration, Department of Health,
etc..- and the members of the local community - The Elected Members of
Parliaments, the religious leaders, villages head men, etc. The UN
task-force should shows its preference in  contacting with such a
{\em Reception Committee}, rather than local Law and Order Restoration
Council(LORC), to carry out repatriations.

I also wish to draw the UN agencies' attention in regards to the ways
of assisting the Rohingyas. The status of Rohingyas have been a
controversial issue since the time they migrated to Northern Arakan in 1824.
There were incidences of various communal tension occurred between local
Arakan people and Rohingyas throughout our history. Therefore, the
necessary precautions
should be taken in which the way Rohingyas being reintegrated into
the local community. Therefore, please ensure that the UN task-force
gives attention to both local community as well as refugees and, the
assistance on humanitarian needs also benefits the local communities.

There were concerns among NGOs and Human Rights Organizations with regards to
the issue on the presence and operations of the UN agencies (i.e. UNDP
and UNICEF)  in Burma.  Their main
concern is that the SLORC will promote its legitimacy through
the involvements of UN agencies. Furthermore, SLORC  will also use
such UN agencies involvements as a propaganda to the people of Burma
that SLORC is  accepted as a legitimate Government by the United Nations.
There is also concerns of the United Nations' fund for development may
be chanelled to the use of armed forces. While the need for the UN agencies
presence in Burma is important, I would support the UN to set up a guideline
and also a code of practice for the UN Agencies that would consistent
with the recommendations of the Commission on Human Rights.

The guideline should meet the UN agencies requirements to improve the
humanitarian situation of the people of Myanmar as well as the necessity
to promote Human Rights. The illegitimacy of SLORC would be highlighted,
though indirectly, by taking measures such as (1) formation of above
{\em Reception Committee} and;(2) the United Nations' Agencies
conducting only with such a committee.

The guidelines should also be set in order to encourage the reconciliation
between the Burma's Armed Forces and the civilian population. There are
signs of the Burmese military been willing to reconcile with civilian
population and also to participate in the reconstruction of Burma.
The United Nations should encourage such aspect of the military and
civilians working together under the auspices of United Nations for
the improvements of humanitarian situation in Myanmar.

At present, the UNHCR would be able to monitor the Rohingya refugees who are
inhabitants of Northern Arakan State. Depending on the success and
acceptance by Myanmar authorities  on the concept of {\em Reception
Committee}, the United Nations should extends its humanitarian operations
to all Arakan State. The low cost development projects -
such as promoting new agricultural land- for small land owners
may also be carried out.

The United Nations should also find ways to increase its influence on
Burma's democratization process. Presently, SLORC shows no signs
of transferring  power to the elected civilian government.
However, there are possibilities that an Interim Committee,
with members  from both elected parliamentarians and military personnel,
that may be formed to function. The process of framing the
Constitution, which may include the rights of ethnic nationalities,
could be undertaken from both United Nations and the Interim Committee.
Therefore, the United Nations can assist to built-up
democratic institutions in Burma.

Finally, I wish to support to make a co-ordinated plan of action for Myanmar
from all UN Agencies, including UNHCR and The Commission on Human Rights.
As a citizen of Burma, I will give my personal assistance to the
United Nations, in any possible way, for a peaceful transition of
state power and building a democratic Burma.

Many thanks for your kindness in helping Burmese people, especially,
Burmese refugees.

\closing{Your faithfully and sincerely,}
copy to: \\
(1) Ms Sadako Ogata, UNHCR, CASE POSTALE 2500, CH-1211 GENEVA-2 DEPOT,
SWITZERLAND. \\
\end{letter}
\end{document}