Overland to Burma

Stefan,

Regarding your question about travel overland from India to Thailand:

>/* Written  3:50 AM  Aug  4, 1994 by euastl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in
>igc:rec.travel.asi */
>/* ---------- "Traveling from India to Thailand wi" ---------- */
>Hi!
>
>>I wonder how one could pass from India to Thailand without passing
>through Burma. Reportedly the land borders are closed by the Burmese
>(or should I say Myanmarese) to all neighbouring countries, and the
>only way to pass through Burma is by transit air (with an optional 2 week
>visa possible). But if you neither want to, nor can afford flying,
>then what possibilities are there to get to Thailand from India?
>
>- Stefan Lundstrom

Take a plane.  The only way to go overland through to Thailand from India is
to follow the Bertil-Lintner-Trail, starting in the Naga hills of India.
Lintner, a journalist and one of your fellow countrymen, walked across
Burma in the mid-80s.

He didn't make it all the way though.  He came out in Yunan
province, China, because it was too dangerous to walk through parts of Shan
State (i.e. all the way to Thailand).  It's dangerous as hell and you'd have
to have a really good reason and be a little bit crazy to walk it (both of
which apply to Lintner:-), but let us know if you wanna try.

As for calling the Burmese "Myanmarese", you are wrong on two counts.  First,
most people from Burma reading the Internet are likely to resent the term
"Myanmar" because it has taken on political connotations (i.e. recognizing
the military regime).  Secondly, Myanmar is an adjective rather than a noun.
It is equivalent to "Swedish" so calling a person from Burma/Myanmar
"Myanmarese" is a bit like referring to someone from Sweden as "Swedishese."

If you insist on calling it Myanmar, then by all means walk through
"Myanmar."  When you get to the Naga hills make sure you tell them that you
are a Swede, just like Bertil.  That will ensure "special treatment".
Distto for Shan State where you should let on that you work for the US Drug
Enforcement Agency.  Also, get a big picture of Ne Win and put it on your
backpack and tell everyone how much you support the three national causes.
All the Myanmarese will love that.

And make sure to tell us how your trip went if you make it to Bangkok.

Regards,

   Strider