Article in Burmese Magazine About T

/* Written 12:26 am  Jun 14, 1994 by bealp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:bitl.seasia */
/* ---------- "Article in Burmese Magazine About T" ---------- */

A copy of the magazine containing an article in which there was an
uncomplementry reference to a Thai public figure was sent to me courtesy
of a member of this list, a Mr. Strider, I believe.  I asked for a copy
since I knew a Burmese lady whom I could ask to translate it, at least
the key paragraphs.  About ten days ago I sent her the copy I received
and I saw her tonight.  She told me the following:

1.      This magazine is not available in Burma.  She believes it is
published by Burmese students outside Burma.

2.      The subject article is a discussion of poverty in Thailand.  An
example is given of a poor family which supports itself by fishing.  The
family is so poor that a daughter becomes a prostitute to support the
other members.  (My Burmese friend did not tell me, nor did I ask,
whether coersion was involved.)

3.      In one, the key (at least for this purpose) paragragh it is
stated that a leading public personage in Thailand can, because of her
position, do pretty much anything she wants whereas, if she came from a
poor family, one as poor as the one used as an example, she too might
have to become a prostitute.

I ensured, through repeated requests for clarifications, that this was
the sense of the translation given to me by my Burmese friend.  I submit
it in the hope that it will contribute to an understanding of what was,
and what was not, printed.

I am not a supporter of SLORC or their minions.  They have plenty to
answer for already without having some other misdeed incorrectly ascribed