Burma and the Princess (r)

/* Written  7:09 pm  May  4, 1994 by strider@xxxxxxxxxxx in igc:soc.culture.th */
/* ---------- "Burma and the Princess" ---------- */

Re: Burma and the princess

>From what I've heard, multiple copies of it have been faxed to the BKK
Post and also to the Nation.  They are aware of the story but there are a
couple of problems before they can touch it.  First, they want a hard
copy of the original magazine, of which not many are floating around
Bangkok.  They won't touch the story until they read the original for
themselves.  This is being addressed.

The second problem is how to write the story without violating lese
majeste.  The Post is likely to take a pass on the story because as one
editor put it, "if we ran it, it would be the last issue of the Post to
ever come out."

The Nation is by reputation a bit more adventurous and as long as they
are sure of the story's validity, they may run something.

Could someone post the Student's Federation of Thailand's phone/fax?
Thai students have been the most vocal about criticizing SLORC and if
they are aware of this article, they may want to "meet" with the Burmese
Foreign Minister when he gets there next week.

BTW, if anyone wants a xerox copy of the article in question, email me
and I'll arrange it.  If you can read Burmese, you can decide for
yourself if the story is true.

Regards,

   Strider