KHRG Report: Porter Testimonies

************************Posted by BurmaNet************************
  "Appropriate Information Technologies--Practical Strategies"

      AN INDEPENDENT REPORT BY THE KAREN HUMAN RIGHTS GROUP

                       PORTER_TESTIMONIES:

                  THE_SLORC'S_SAW_HTA_OFFENSIVE

                        January 10, 1993

Filename: jan10_93

On October 5, 1992, SLORC Foreign Minister Ohn Gyaw told the United
Nations General Assembly that the SLORC was no longer attacking the
ethnic peoples of Burma.  On October 6, 1992, the SLORC launched an
unprovoked offensive on the northern Karen village and trading post
of Saw Hta, on the Salween River near the southern border of
Karenni (Kayah) State.  As usual in their offensives, the SLORC
press-ganged thousands of civilians to carry all their ammunition
and supplies to the front lines.

Initially they brought hundreds of convicts from Mandalay and other
prisons for this brutal and often fatal work.  Then they began
rounding up thousands of Shan villagers far to the north in central
Shan State.  These men were forced onto Army trucks and brought
like caged animals several days and nights drive over rough roads,
hundreds of kilometres southward to Pah Saung in southern Karenni
(Kayah) State.  There they were immediately saddled with loads of
ammunition and supplies and force marched over the mountains into
northern Karen State to the front line at Saw Hta.  This tactic of
hauling porters halfway across the country is sometimes used by the
SLORC to prevent the porters escaping.  The SLORC believes that
uneducated villagers will be too afraid to attempt escape so far
from their home State, in areas where they do not speak the
language or know the culture.  The SLORC officers reinforce this by
constantly telling the porters that the Karen Army will kill them
if they catch them; and after a lifetime of exposure to propaganda,
the villagers have no way of knowing this isn't true.  Even so, the
SLORC's brutality has driven hundreds to attempt escape, although
thus far only about 80 have been successful.  The vast majority of
the porters are either still in the SLORC Army's hands, or lying
dead on the paths from Pah Saung.

The following interviews are with a few of the men who have
successfully escaped to the Karen lines.  Their names have been
changed to protect them and their families, although the names of
the dead which they give are real.  Names of their home villages
have been deliberately omitted, as well as other unnecessary
details which could be used by the SLORC to trace them.  Please
feel free to use this information in any way which could help put
a stop to this horrendous abuse of human beings.

Notes:  Kyat - the official Burmese currency.  At official rates,
US$1 = 6 Kyat.  At black market rates, US$1 = 120 Kyat.  To a
subsistence farmer like the men in this report, 1,000 Kyat is quite
a large sum.

Viss - unit of weight measurement.  1 Viss = 1.6 kilograms.

Longyi - a Burmese sarong.
The following 7 Shan men arrived at a Karen camp near Saw Hta on
January 3, 1993.  They are all Shan Buddhist farmers from central
Shan State.

    Name            Age                Family

1.  Sai Wan Na       30           Married with one child
2.  Sai Ohn Maung    21           Married 5 months ago
3.  Sai Naw Suk      24          Marriedwithtwo children
4.  Thaung Tin       27           Married with three children
5.  Sai Khorn Mong   21           Married 6 months ago
6.  Sai Aik Pan      45           Married with six children
7.  Sai Hla Aung     24           Single

SAI WAN NA & SAI NAW SUK:  We were all captured by the SLORC in
late November.  The two of us were taken from the fields when we
were working harvesting rice for another farmer.  The soldiers came
into the field, tied our hands with rope and put us on a truck.

SAI AIK PAN: I was also arrested when I was working on someone
else's farm.  Everyone got away except me.

SAI KHORN MONG, THAUNG TIN & SAI HLA AUNG:  We were all taken from
our homes.  The soldiers came at night when we were asleep.  They
just woke us up and took us away.

SAI OHN MAUNG:  I was taken when I was on my way home from the
SLORC farm.

SAI NAW SUK:  The SLORC farm is a big setup that's been there for
2 years.  Two years ago the SLORC confiscated alot of people's
farms and parts of farms all through our area.  They forced all the
farmers to move to another place and told them to make farms there
instead.  But the new place is no good, there's not enough water
and it's hard to grow things.  Meanwhile, all the farmers still
have to go back and work on their old farms for 5 days at a time,
except now all their work is only for the SLORC soldiers.  The
farmers aren't paid anything for this - they even have to bring
their own rice with them. They also have to bring their pigs,
chickens, and the other animals to feed the SLORC troops, and they
were forced to provide bamboo, wood, leaf roofing and labour to
build a new camp for the soldiers at the farm.

When we were taken as porters, they said they were taking us to
work for 5 days in the oilseed fields. Instead, they loaded us onto
trucks and tied us to each other by the hands with rope.  Then we
were on those trucks for about 5 days and nights, and they never
let us off.  Different groups of trucks joined up together and they
brought us all the way down to Pah Saung in southern Karenni State.
Every truck had at least 30 porters on it guarded by 10 or 15
soldiers.  The soldiers made us stay sitting down all the time for
5 days and nights.  We were never allowed to stand.  If we tried to
stand up the soldiers hit us.  Our hands were always kept tied up,
and we just had to go to the toilet in our pants.  The only food
they gave us was about a half kilo of rice twice a day for 5
people.  There was nothing to eat with it.  Even when we ate they
would only untie one of our hands, while the other hand was still
tied to the next man.

We saw about 40 trucks altogether, and about 2,000 porters, all of
them villagers like us.  When we finally got off the trucks at Pah
Saung, they gave us loads to carry to the frontline at Saw Hta.
Most of us carried shells, but  Sai Wan Na  had to carry about 25
viss of rice and Sai Ohn Maung  had to carry a load of special
equipment for an officer.  All along the way, they only gave us a
tiny bit of rice to eat and they beat us.  The soldiers kicked me
in the ribs with their boots.  It still hurts alot even now.

SAI WAN NA & THAUNG TIN:  The soldiers always kicked us from behind
when we were tired.

SAI AIK PAN: I had to carry a sack of rice, and they kept kicking
me whenever I couldn't walk.

SAI HLA AUNG:  I was punched and slapped in the face.

SAI KHORN MONG:  I saw the corpses of 2 porters who had tried to
escape near Saw Hta.  They'd been shot dead.

SAI NAW SUK:  I saw a friend I knew from home try to run away.  A
soldier saw him running and shot him in the back.  The bullet came
out through his chest and he was dead.  He was a Burman from Main
Pan named Soe Win, married with 4 children.  He was only 23 years
old.  They killed him at a place they called Camp A, just south of
Saw Hta.  I also saw them shoot another man who was trying to
escape.  He was about 26 years old.  They hit him in the arm, and
he grabbed his arm and kept running.  The soldier took 2 porters to
look for him but they only found the blood.

We were with the SLORC for 1 month and 5 days from Pah Saung before
we ran away.  I ran away when the soldiers sent me to get bamboo,
and the others escaped when they were sent to get firewood or when
the soldiers were sleeping or not looking.

By that time, many other porters had run away or had been shot, or
they died of dysentery.  But most of them are still being held as
porters by the SLORC.

These two men escaped at Saw Hta in late November, after about one
and a half months of being held by the SLORC Army.

1. Name:     San Kyaw            Age:  35    Pa'oh Shan, Buddhist
   Address:  Central Shan State               Occupation:  Farmer
   Family:   Married with three children

2. Name:     Brang Na            Age:  49    Kachin, Christian
   Address:  Northern Shan State             Occupation:  Farmer
   Family:   Married with seven children

SAN KYAW:  We were taken prisoner in October.  I was in town
watching a video in the marketplace when the soldiers came and
surrounded the place and closed the doors.  There were many people
inside.  The soldiers let the women and children go but they
grabbed 18 men.  Our ages were about 17 up to 37.  The soldiers
said they were taking us to the forest to get bamboo so we could
build a fence around  their camp for them.  They didn't tell our
families anything.  They took us to the police station, and then
the next day to a big hall at the Army camp where they put about
400 of us.

BRANG NA: I was travelling in a car near Lashio when the Army
stopped us on the road.  They were stopping all the cars.  They
left the  women and children alone, but three of us in the car were
men and they made us get out and go with them.  They took us to the
police station and kept us there for 8 days, but they never told us
any reason.  There were 290 of us being held there.  We thought
they would take us to dig for rubies at the Main Shyo mine, where
we heard that China and SLORC are cooperating to get rubies.  But
they kept us at the police station for 8 days, then they sent us to
Lay Cha on big Hino Army trucks.

There was nothing we could do, they arrest you and you just have to
do what they say.

SAN KYAW:  Not us.  We argued with them.  We are poor people, and
they force us to do labour.  Suppose somebody had money.  He gets
captured, but he can just give the soldiers money, they take it and
he's let go.  This happens, so we argue with them.  We who have no
money have to come through all this but those with money are freed.

They loaded us all onto Army trucks and brought us all the way to
Pah Saung.  They never let us off the trucks.  We just had to sit
on the trucks crosslegged and hunched up like this, and sit and
sleep, and sit and sit.  But we couldn't really sleep.  We couldn't
even spread our elbows.  If anyone stood up, they said "Sit down!
Sit down!"  There were 50 of us on the truck, plus 8 soldiers.
They drove the whole day.  At night, they stopped at whatever
village we were at and they slept.  But while they slept we were
still on the trucks, with guards.  We even had to urinate and
defecate on the truck.  This went on for 7 or 8 days.  Even now we
still stink because we have no other clothes.  The whole truck
stank.

They gave us each one small mess-tin cover full of rice and yellow
beans, sometimes only once in 2 days.  If the truck didn't stop, we
didn't eat.  Some people got sick, but the soldiers wouldn't give
any medicine.  If you had some money, you could try to buy some.
The trucks were like cages, there was just no way to escape.  We
arrived in Pah Saung so worn out, some of us just dropped.  There
were about 40 trucks with us, including soldiers, equipment, and
about 15 trucks of porters, all villagers like us.

As soon as we got off the trucks at Pah Saung, they gave us loads
and made us go with 247 Battalion.  Their badges said "247" above
a sunflower design.  We all had to carry ammunition or rice.  I had
to carry a 120mm mortar shell, while some others had to carry two
of them.  Many had to carry 6  81mm shells.

BRANG NA:  Six of us had to carry a heavy weapon, about 6 feet long
and so big you could put a pumpkin down the barrel.

SAN KYAW: We marched along with 1 soldier in front, then 5 porters,
then another soldier behind.  At night, we just camped anywhere in
the forest.  As soon as it got dark, they gathered all the porters
on the ground in one spot.  There were about 500 in our group and
more than 200 soldiers camped all around us with their rifles.
They tied up anyone they thought might try to escape.  We had to
sleep on the ground and the mosquitoes were terrible. We had no
blankets so we just had to huddle up in our longyis.  We didn't
have anything - even these clothes were left behind by porters who
ran away.  We don't have anything that's our own anymore.

When we had to go to the toilet in the morning, we had to ask
permission.  Anyone who tried to go without asking was beaten.  The
soldiers would only let us go a few yards away and they followed us
with their rifles.  We were never allowed a bath the whole time,
from when we were arrested until we escaped over a month later.
They gave us one small milk-tin of rice each day for 3 of us, or
sometimes for 4 or 5 of us.  Only when they said "cook", then we
could cook.  If they say "don't cook", then you can't.  We never
got enough.

While carrying our loads, first we all suffered from thirst, people
got weak and dropped by the path.  Some got malaria or were too
weak from starvation to go on, and they too were left behind on the
path.  We all had insects in our clothes and got skin diseases, and
everyone smelled terrible.  We suffered from dehydration,
starvation, malaria and stomach diseases.  But still they made us
carry our loads.  If we told them "I'm sick, I need medicine", they
just said, "No, the medicine's not for you."  If you are too sick
or weak to go on, you're just left behind.  I was kicked in the
back once and beaten once because I couldn't walk, and after that
I was always too afraid to be slow.

BRANG NA:  I was also kicked in the back.  They yelled at me "Go
faster!"

SAN KYAW:  When they beat us they said "Go-go-go!  None of you are
our fathers, we have no relatives among you, just go-go-go!"
Because if we couldn't carry the loads, they'd have to carry it
themselves.

Many porters had been trying to escape but couldn't. The SLORC kept
capturing them and after they were caught, they were always kept
tied up and beaten whenever they weren't working.  13 of us finally
escaped after we reached Saw Hta, when we were sent to cut down
trees for the soldiers.  A tree was falling and we just ran into
the forest.  We went to the river and saw some Karenni soldiers,
but we were very afraid because the SLORC always makes propaganda
that "If you go to the KNU or ABSDF, they'll kill you."

But the Karenni soldiers brought us here.  We want to go home, but
it won't be easy and we can't go alone.  The Karen soldiers will
have to help us.  It's been a long time and we really don't know
how our families are.  Even at home, the SLORC always takes porters
and people to work for them, digging earth, clearing space for army
camps, gathering firewood.  They take people every week, and if the
men can't go, then they take the women and children.

These three men escaped near Saw Hta in late November after a month
and a half under SLORC control.  They arrived bearing many
untreated cuts and wounds.

1. Name:     Sai Kham Pan        Age: 27       Shan Buddhist
   Address:  Central Shan State                Occupation: Farmer
   Family:   Married with 3 children

2. Name:     Sai Kan Leit        Age: 35       Shan Buddhist
   Address:  Central Shan State                Occupation: Farmer
   Family:   Married with 2 children
3. Name:     Sai Thein Win       Age: 23       Shan Buddhist
   Address:  Central Shan State                Occupation: Farmer
   Family:   Married with 1 child

SAI KHAM PAN & SAI KAN LEIT:  We were all arrested about one and a
half months ago when we were coming home from our farms.  They said
"We need you to get bamboo for us"  and took us to the police
station.  We weren't even allowed to go home to get anything.  They
kept us at the police station for 8 days before sending us to the
Army Camp.  Instead of giving us food, they went and ordered the
local people to cook and bring the food to the station for us.

SAI THEIN WIN: The soldiers didn't tell me anything when they
arrested me, just took me to the SLORC office and kept me there for
three days with about 200 others in a big room.  They ordered the
villagers to send us rice to eat.  Then we were all brought on
trucks all the way to Pah Saung.  I saw about 80 trucks, 50 for
porters and the rest for soldiers.  There were 60 people on each
truck, 50 porters and soldiers as guards.  Even on the trucks some
were tied up because the soldiers thought they'd try to escape.  We
had to stay on the trucks all day and all night for 8 days.  We
didn't know where they were taking us.  We just had to sit
crosslegged and sleep like that, even when the truck was stopped.
The soldiers gave us some boiled rice but not enough.  It was very
cold at night.  I saw some men get malaria on the truck, but they
didn't die.

SAI KHAM PAN:  When we reached Pah Saung we got off.  Some of us
were so worn out we couldn't even walk.  We didn't get  anything to
eat.  They made us walk.  Some couldn't walk.  They beat them.

SAI THEIN WIN:  I had to carry .5 calibre machine gun bullets, Sai
Kham Pan had to carry over 20 viss of rice and Sai Kan Leit had to
carry a 120mm mortar shell and rice.  We got off the trucks at
sunset, but they gave us loads right away and made us carry them
all night.  We only rested a few hours in the morning.

SAI KHAM PAN:  Anyone who couldn't keep carrying was kicked or
beaten with a rifle butt or a stick, and then they made them keep
carrying.  We just had to keep carrying.  They made us climb.  We
asked for water but got none.  We were hungry but they gave us no
food.  They just made us go.  8 days ago they beat me in the back
of the leg with a stick really hard - I'm still limping now and you
can see the scar.  The soldier said "Walk faster, or I'll hit you
again".  Another time they pushed me in the back and I fell and cut
my forehead open on a stone.  Still they made me carry.  I saw 2 or
3 people who died on the way because they were too weak.  They were
just thrown away.  I saw them lying dead, flat on their backs.
Others who couldn't go any further were just left by the path.
They weren't given any food, nothing.  They just left them.  Some
were beaten unconscious before they were left.  I don't know if
they ever revived.

I saw them leave behind 3 or 4 men who were too weak to go on, all
about 50 years old or so.  Another man about 30 years old got too
weak and couldn't walk.  I saw the soldier hit him with a rifle
butt until he was unconscious, then they left him behind.  It was
in the jungle, with no village nearby, and it was night.  We were
always marching at night.

SAI KAN LEIT: Once going up a mountain I was very tired, so the
SLORC soldier shot me in the back of my left hip with a stone from
a slingshot.  It bled alot  and later got infected, but they
wouldn't give me a bandage.

SAI KHAM PAN: The sick were  never given medicine, they were just
left untreated.  When we reached Saw Hta, some died.  On the way to
Saw Hta, the SLORC only let us rest 1 hour each night for 8 days.
We got nothing to eat but just a bit of plain rice, and we never
got to wash.

Finally we escaped, but  now we're all very depressed and want to
go home.  We don't know how our families are doing.  My children
are all young, 4 years, 2 1/2, and the baby was only 15 or 16 days
old when I was arrested.  My wife has to breastfeed.  I think they
must all be without food now, because there's no one to provide for
them.

This man arrived in a Karen camp in late November with the others.
He was taken as a porter despite being 60 years old.

Name:     Sai Win Nai                Age: 60  years old
Address:  Central Shan State         Shan Buddhist, farmer
Family:   Wife and 5 children, 2 grandchildren

Over a month ago, I was alone in my field harvesting rice.  Two
soldiers  came into my field and grabbed me.  They took me very
brutally.  They dragged me by my shirt collar, pointed a gun at me,
and said "Go quickly".  They said they would take me to their camp
but never said why.  I was just taken like a prisoner.  Instead of
their  camp, they took me 3 hours' walk all the way to the police
station in town.  They put me there with about 60 other men, and I
was  kept there for 3 days.  During that time I saw about 10 men
pay the soldiers 10,000 Kyat each and they were set free.  The
SLORC told the rest of us  "Someone else is coming in his place, so
we're setting him free", but we all knew it was a lie.  One man got
angry about this and argued with them, so they beat him in the ribs
with a rifle butt.  Ten times I saw this happen to  men who argued
about going as porters.

After 3 days they put us on trucks and took us to Loikaw, then to
Pah Saung.  There were more than 40 of us on each truck, and about
60 other trucks with many porters who had been brought from other
places too.  We were on the trucks for several days along rough
roads all the way, and they almost never stopped.  Even when we did
we weren't allowed to get off.  You could give some money to the
soldiers and if you were lucky they'd bring you some food.  Some
soldiers just took the money and didn't bring any food.  I was
lucky because my wife had brought me some money while I was in
jail.

We had to sit together in the back of the truck, with a bamboo
lattice 6 inches  above our heads and the soldiers standing on top
of it to guard us.  They never let us out, even for the toilet.  We
had to urinate where we sat, and there were no  cracks in the floor
so it got wet and stank.  To defecate, we had to take off our shirt
and do it in that, then try to fling it out the side of the truck.
One porter didn't even have a shirt to use, and just had to shit on
the floor.  When one of the soldiers found out he got mad  and hit
the man in the face  with the magazine of his rifle.  The truck
stank so badly that we didn't feel like  eating anything even
though we were starving.

When we finally got off the trucks in Pah Saung, it was very
difficult to walk.  I saw one man who couldn't walk.  They kicked
him and then left him behind on the ground.  Right away we had to
start carrying ammunition.  I had to carry 2 big metal boxes of
machine gun bullets and some rice  on a bamboo yoke over my
shoulder.  It was hard to lift on my shoulder, I could barely hold
it up.  It must have  weighed about 35 viss.  It cut my shoulder so
I had to try to hold it up off my shoulder all the time.  My shirt
stuck to the wound and hurt alot.  I still have the scars.  When I
showed my sore shoulder to them, they hit me.

We only got to sleep a few hours every night.  70 of us had to
sleep together in a pile on the ground. Other than that we were
always carrying.  Even though we carried all the rice, it  was the
soldiers who rationed it out to us.  They'd give us 1 tiny milktin
full and say "This is your ration for the day".  I had stomach
pains  because we only ever got to cook our rice for a few minutes,
never properly.

When people couldn't carry anymore, the soldiers beat them to show
the rest of us,  "Here, you see what  happens to those who can't go
on?".  Then they  left them behind.  I saw them beat 2  porters
with  rifle butts  along the way just because they  slipped  and
fell while we were climbing a mountain.  After being  beaten they
were still forced to go on.  A  week ago I slipped going up a
mountain, and they kicked me in the ribs.  I also got  malaria, but
they wouldn't give  me  any medicine, they only  made  me  keep
carrying  my load.  I saw them shoot one porter in the head  and
kill him as he was trying to run away, and they shot  another man
in the wrist.  Another man was beaten with a rifle butt before
being left behind.  I think he must be dead.

After we were in Saw Hta, they made us cut down trees to make
protecting walls around their mortars.  After 3 days, suddenly a
Karen shell landed in the camp and a bunch of us escaped in the
confusion.

Now I really want to get home to my family.  They all cried when I
left, and now they probably think I'm already dead.  Because people
who've been taken  away never return.  Already more than 10 people
from my village haven't come back.  I've been taken as a porter
every year, but this time is the longest.  Other times they've
taken  me when they attack the  Palaung or Shan armies.

The SLORC also forces us to sell 8 biscuit tins of unhulled rice
per acre to them every year, and  they only  pay 160  kyat, even
though the market price would be 1500  kyat.  This is a quarter of
our whole crop.  And  they take  all the villagers to build their
army camps, dig their bunkers  and do  all their other work for
them.  I've had to go many times already.

This man escaped from the SLORC in late November.  On arrival, he
was extremely thin and had bruises and scars all over his body.

Name:     Aik Htun                Age: 32      Shan Buddhist
Address:  Central Shan State                   Occupation: Farmer
Family:   Married with 5 children

Ten soldiers came  to my farm  when I was harvesting rice.  They
didn't  say anything, they just took  me away to the police
station.  There  were more than 40 of us, being guarded by police.
Some villagers brought some rice for us, but that was all we  got
to eat  and there wasn't enough.

Then they took us by truck to Lay Cha Army Camp and put us in a
big hall together with over  1000 other villagers.  After 1  night
there, they took us on the trucks  for about 5 days  and nights all
the way down to Pah Saung.  I saw about 50 trucks, but not all full
of porters.

There were about 50 of us on  each truck but nobody was  allowed to
stand up or get off, and we could  only get food if we had money to
give  to the soldiers.  They were from 245 Battalion, all Burmans
from Kyaikto, only about 18 to 24 years old.

We were  all very weak when we arrived in Pah Saung.  Some were too
weak to walk, and the soldiers just left them there beside  the
road with nothing.  The  people living in the area probably didn't
even know they were there.  The soldiers just gave us all loads and
made us go.  They made me carry about 30 viss of  machine gun
bullets.  It cut open  my right shoulder and I couldn't  carry it,
so the officer in charge poked me in the back with a  bayonet.  All
the  soldiers hit  me.  A Captain with 3 bars on his shoulder poked
me in the forehead with the barrel of his rifle, and another time
they beat me with a rifle butt on my leg.  We were  always walking
at  night in the forest, and  my feet were  all cut up.  I fell
and cut my knee when they pushed me down,  and one soldier even bit
me on the wrist.  He bit hard, shook his  head and  growled like
a dog!  You can  still  see  the toothmarks.

When I couldn't climb the hills, they poked  me in the back with a
bayonet, and they  also hit  me under the arms with bayonets four
or five times.  They said "Giddap! Giddap! Go!  Go!".  We couldn't
go any  harder, but they made  us.  And they always  slapped  me in
the face, again and again, and said  "Why don't you just die?" and
cursed  me.

They were  always  beating all of us for not being  able to carry.
If we were weak and slow they pulled us along.  I saw one porter
get sick  and ask for medicine, but they said "No medicine for you.
You should  die", and  made him carry  his load.  I  saw one
Palaung man try to escape, but they  caught him and tied him up.
>From then on they made him carry  an even  heavier load,
like a  punishment.

Finally when we were following the soldiers through a  valley, we
ran away and got to the army on this side, and they've treated us
well.  But now I don't know whether my family is starving or what.
The harvest wasn't finished when we were taken away, so I  don't
know how they'll get by.  I'm here on the frontline, and I don't
know whether my children  have  anything to eat.

This SLORC Government  only wants to kill  civilians.  They push
the porters forward  and  they're behind.  They beat and they don't
give  food.  They're very cruel.

Karen Human Rights Group
Box 22
Mae Sot, Tak 63110