Letter to Clinton/state policy

Activists concerned with the egregious violations of human rights in
Myanmar believe it would be helpful were the United States government
to formulate and state an official policy regarding SLORC.  Such a policy
would be useful in providing leadership in the international community
and in encouraging transnational businesses to cease aiding the SLORC by
transfers of funds to the regime.

Please take a few moments to upload this sample letter, modify it as you
see fit, and mail it to President Clinton.

Sample Letter to President Clinton

President Bill Clinton
1600 Pennsylania Avenue
Washington, D.C.  20500

Dear President Clinton:

Your support of the people in Burma has given me cause to hope that our
government will soon formulate and officially state its policy regarding
the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) of Myanmar.

Your leadership in the United Nations' discussions of a resolution this
winter is fully in keeping with the American peoples' commitment to
freedom and democracy.  I applaud you for standing strong while other
nations attempted to weaken the resolution's condemnation of SLORC's
egregious human rights abuses.

I am further encouraged by your instruction to the National Security
Agency to prepare a report on Myanmar, and hope that the agency has
delivered its findings to your office or will do so soon.   I imagine its
findings will be similar to the report released recently by the State
Department outlining the lack of personal and political freedoms in
Myanmar.

Given the seriousness of the human rights violations by SLORC, I urge you
to formulate and state publicly an official policy regarding our nation's
relationship towards the regime.  Such an official statement would serve
to provide international leadership and to guide American transnational
companies engaged in commissions there.

Thank you for your support of the cause of justice in Burma.

Respectfully yours, & etc.

cc:	Warren Christopher
	Secretary of State
	Department of State